Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2007, 20:27   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Music Zone

Not aimed at anyone;just think it's a bit cheap having a pop at us at the moment;for 3 of us it's the second time in 3 years that this has happened,it's not the New Year we were hoping for shall we say;one of the team has just got a mortgage;another was hoping to try for a baby this year, another trying to fund her way thru college. Corporate nonces make these decisions at the stroke of a pen and peoples lives are instantly turned upside down ;in Accy it's nowt to do with downloading,it's all to do with Asda selling the big title dvds at cost price. Ah well,think of us fondly when you can't get anything other than the latest Top 20 in Accy;daftly enough we are currently trading a whopping 91% up on last year....panic buying I suspect.
Old 16-01-2007, 20:39   #77
God Member

It wasn't a pop at you and your staff Lindsay, it really wasn't. When I posted about my purchase it just turned into a bit of a thread wander regarding the myth with consumer rights, that Rind has already put us straight on.

When I saw The Trilogy marked up at £12.97 (I think it was) I couldn't believe how cheap it was. OK, so it was marked up wrong, as you say an honest mistake. I still think the price was good at £19.97 or when I got to the counter I would have said no to that price.

I thought most of your profit would come from music not DVD sales being a music shop?

It is a tragedy for you and your staff ...... and also for the people of Accy. I love nothing more than a mooch around a good music shop.
Old 16-01-2007, 21:34   #78
God Member

I don't think it's ASDA's chart sales that have done it, they'll have had an effect when the big titles have come out like Pirates of the Caribbean for instance but over the long term, like Tinkerbelle said, downloading is so easy these days so actually purchasing music/DVDs is a rarity for many people.
It's very very sad news I wish everyone working there the best for the future.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 21:39   #79
Resident Waffler

It was the same with bookshops. When people could buy cheap paperbacks from Asda they thought it was brilliant - until we lost Wardleworths and everything else that went with it, like being able to order obscure books.

I mourne the loss of independant music stores in the same way. It won't be good for the music industry long term either because this isn't just happening in Accrington. Where will people buy non chart stuff?

I wish you and the rest of the team good luck in finding new jobs - in the end it's Accrington's loss

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 21:42   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Where will people buy non chart stuff?
Downloads downloads downloads.

I find it strange how much people have changed & no one wants to buy music anymore. For me it's half of the package.
Old 16-01-2007, 21:47   #81
Senior Member+

Forgot to give more tidings of great joy to all those who buy their music and dvd on-line;there is loophole in the way that buying on line works;the company you buy from don't pay VAT ; Amazon and HMV's (amongst others) website are all getting their stock VAT free at the moment,this will stop in Sept this year due to new govt legislation designed to help the high street retailer,guess who they will pass the VAT on to.....bring on that £15.99 price point for a cd.
Old 16-01-2007, 22:09   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

I find it strange how much people have changed & no one wants to buy music anymore. For me it's half of the package.
I totally agree with you, I for one pore over lyrics, musicians, cover notes etc. It stems from buying vinyl but CD's have carried it on for me.

You don't get that with downloads, there's nothing tangible.
Old 16-01-2007, 22:09   #83
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

But how will they be able to download if no-one buys? Or did you mayhap mean official type download as opposed to P2P ?

Old 16-01-2007, 22:18   #84
God Member

Quote:
But how will they be able to download if no-one buys? Or did you mayhap mean official type download as opposed to P2P ?
Sorry yes I meant official downloads like iTunes. I'd gone on a bit of a mind wander about the top 40 charts & forgot to add in the 'official' bit...

It's just technology evolving I suppose, what with downloads counting towards chart placings and CDs becoming almost as obsolete as vinyl. I do like downloading from P2P to get a taste of what is on an album before buying as I'm pretty tight with my dosh but compiling thousands of tracks onto a computer chip?
Not for me ta.
Old 17-01-2007, 00:38   #85
Give, give, give member

I just think it is very, very sad that another much loved shop in Accrington is closing, for whatever reason.

I'm not just saying this because I know Lindsay, I always had great service when I went in there from all the staff, including the security guys when I once set the alarm off, and it will be missed.

I hope everyone who works/ed there eventually finds jobs were their talents will be appreciated. I picked up a book I'd ordered in W H Smiths today. The assistant was a dozy loon. I hate surly, bad or indifferent service, something I never had in MusicZone.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:20   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady McGough View Post
So, Maxwell Silver, you pretend to have an ounce of decency by saying things like "it's really bad that your shop is closing" , ask in a cheeky chappie half serious way if Lindsay can get you a cheap Editors t-shirt and a Queen Sheer Heart Attack CD (and I believe you went into her shop and purchased it) then slag her and her staff off because of a simple error and start talking about getting trading standards involved. I trust you've never made an error at work????? Don't you think her and her staff have one or two more important things on their minds.....like redundancy? YOU DISGUST ME AND YES IT'S ME TAKING KARMA OFF YOU.
First off i didn't ask for a cheap t-shirt,just to keep one to one side if she could,i would have paid full price as i did with the cd.The trading standards remark was more aimed at retailers as a whole & nothing personal to the staff at MZ.Anyway who'es to know it was a genuine error,& i certainly wouldn't get the TSinvolved over a couple of quid.By the way i wished Lyndsay & staff all the best while i was in.As for you ,Mr Angry from FKW..."cheeky chappie",my arse.
Old 17-01-2007, 12:06   #87
Resident Waffler

I've got an MP3 player that I've rarely used and even then only for the radio. My kids think I'm a sad case but I agree, even though I've done it, that downloading and compiling your own CD is a bit of a hassle. I've also been known to accidentally include the wrong tracks and we'll be listening to an Alice Cooper CD in the car when all of a sudden the Eagles crop up in the middle and I go "How did that get there?" which causes much hilarity with the rest of the family. We also have the Dr. Hook album with the same track on twice - good value for money that one

I was just reading in the paper today that a lot of people don't even think of backing up their music to CD and if the PC dies they lose hundreds of pounds worth of music. Some insurance companies will pay out but only if you've kept the receipt from the site you bought it from - and where do most of us keep our online receipts? On our PCs?

And just for the record, yes I have shopped in Music Zone and in OurPrice before that and I will miss the shop.

Old 17-01-2007, 12:11   #88
I am Banned

Quote:
I was just reading in the paper today that a lot of people don't even think of backing up their music to CD and if the PC dies they lose hundreds of pounds worth of music. Some insurance companies will pay out but only if you've kept the receipt from the site you bought it from - and where do most of us keep our online receipts? On our PCs?

And just for the record, yes I have shopped in Music Zone and in OurPrice before that and I will miss the shop.
Yes i do back mine up onto cd not only just in case my pc dies but also to save valuable space so that pc dont get too clogged up or slow down by it, usually when a cd worth is on then it gets put to disk other than that it stays till complete but even still dont lose a lot anyways

Yeh i've shopped at both geee our price was one of my fav shops when i was younger
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 12:17   #89
Resident Waffler

I keep saying I must get all my music sorted out - same as with my photos, but I just end up shuffling things round and not making copies of anything unless I want it for a reason It's time I got better organised. At least I've had a tidy-up of my desk top today - virtual one that is, not the one the piles of stuff sit on!

Old 17-01-2007, 22:09   #90
Senior Member+

[quote=Shady McGough;369017a Queen Sheer Heart Attack CD (and I believe you went into her shop and purchased it)[/quote]Bloody hell,your one nosey ****e.Course i went in MZ & bought it,i wanted the thing.Better than wishing them all well then going off to HMV &buying it.That would be hypocritical of me.You really do strike me as bieng some pompous arsehole,well you can stick your holier than thou attitude where you'd like it most.I disgust you do i? Dog dirt,rapists & chid abusers disgust me & i hope your not tarring me with the same brush.You make me sick.Took my karma?Big deal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..