Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 21:14   #1
God Member

N Power and Scottish Power

Whilst I was at my Mums today a representative from British Gas called to ask if either N Power or Scottish Power had been round asking if Mum wanted to change her supplier. Apparently they are operating in the area and have been switching people from other suppliers to their list without consent.
Just thought I would warn folk not to let them know who your supplier is or you might find yours switched as well!!! Think the problem must be quite serious if British Gas are warning people.
Old 10-07-2008, 21:17   #2
God Member

Re: N Power and Scottish Power

We often get people calling at the house trying to get us to change suppliers.....we never do though.

Thanks for the warning, Bernadette.
Old 10-07-2008, 21:24   #3
Senior Member+

I had 3 (yes 3!!) N-Power people at my door this afternoon. When I told them that I wasn't interested, they asked me who my supplier was now. Luckily I told them that I couldn't remember and shut the door. Just as it closed I heard one of the cheeky sods say, "Perhaps you'll remember when they put your prices up!" I wouldn't go with N-Power now.
Old 10-07-2008, 21:26   #4
God Member

Be even more careful with British Gas, they once tried to switch me for my elec just by giving the Mrs a leaflet so I could look at it later, didn't sign anything, didn't know till we got a letter from Elec supplier to say they were sorry to loose our custom, got on to them staright away to tell themI wasn't leaving but told it was too late the switch was going through and they couldn't stop it, went straight to www.uswitch.co.uk and switched everything away from British Gas, they tried for months to get me to pay a cancellation fee because I didn't stay for 12 month, got sod all off me and will never use them again for anything. Mrs now steers me clear of them when their in town touting for business

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 21:28   #5
God Member

Scottish Power have called on me twice in the past week.
I am already supplied by them.
I once sent Scottish Power an email complaining about this doorstep selling, but never got a reply

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 21:32   #6
God Member

Mum has got the best deal for her through Age Concern just wonder how many folk get their supplier changed without their consent and lose out!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 19:07   #7
God Member

british gas are swapping people to them without permission as well infact they are all at it according to watchdog a few months back

bt , tiscali etc are doing the same as well , obviously not for gas

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 22:08   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: N Power and Scottish Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Whilst I was at my Mums today a representative from British Gas called to ask if either N Power or Scottish Power had been round asking if Mum wanted to change her supplier. Apparently they are operating in the area and have been switching people from other suppliers to their list without consent.
Just thought I would warn folk not to let them know who your supplier is or you might find yours switched as well!!! Think the problem must be quite serious if British Gas are warning people.
I think that it was just a ploy to open a dialogue with your mum and once talking the hard sell would come in to change to BG.
Old 11-07-2008, 22:16   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I think that it was just a ploy to open a dialogue with your mum and once talking the hard sell would come in to change to BG.
Will find out tomorrow but am pretty sure she is with BG, just on a special tarriff negotiated by Age Concern. Either way it makes no difference because she has no intention of changing and is now aware that she musn't even reveal who her supplier is.
Old 12-07-2008, 00:55   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'm with British gas for both and on pre-payment meters.
For the past year they keep sending me a bill for the electric, (estimated even though the guy has read my meter at least 3 times), I have tried in vain to explain over the 'phone that I don't have a credit meter plenty of re-assuring promises that it will be corrected.
Well no it hasn't instead I have had a letter from them saying they will call at the end of the month to cut my electric.

I just hope that the guy that calls will be able to sort this mess out because British Gas can't. Besides ringing I registered with them online so I could complain, despite automatic confirmation saying they've received my emails no action, except, they now send me this fictitious bill to my email address as well as to me by snail mail, Grrrrrrr!

I'm not changing suppliers until it is sorted as I can see that if I do they will just continue to send repeats of this imaginary bill and keep upping the extra charges, but as soon as they confirm that it is their mistake and that I don't owe them anything, then I will change and I won't care who I change to!

I've just emailed them a link to this page will let you know if it shames them into action, (don't hold your breath).

Last edited by Less; 12-07-2008 at 01:01.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:26   #11
Loz

We had them round twice recently and didn't tell them anything and luckily haven't heard anything since!
I'm happy with British Gas and wouldn't want to switch anyway!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
We had them round twice recently and didn't tell them anything and luckily haven't heard anything since!
I'm happy with British Gas and wouldn't want to switch anyway!
I'm with you Loz, I've been with BG for years an they've always been okay with me, I've had other companies round but I never give them any info
Old 16-07-2008, 09:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm with British gas for both and on pre-payment meters.
For the past year they keep sending me a bill for the electric, (estimated even though the guy has read my meter at least 3 times), I have tried in vain to explain over the 'phone that I don't have a credit meter plenty of re-assuring promises that it will be corrected.
Well no it hasn't instead I have had a letter from them saying they will call at the end of the month to cut my electric.

I just hope that the guy that calls will be able to sort this mess out because British Gas can't. Besides ringing I registered with them online so I could complain, despite automatic confirmation saying they've received my emails no action, except, they now send me this fictitious bill to my email address as well as to me by snail mail, Grrrrrrr!

I'm not changing suppliers until it is sorted as I can see that if I do they will just continue to send repeats of this imaginary bill and keep upping the extra charges, but as soon as they confirm that it is their mistake and that I don't owe them anything, then I will change and I won't care who I change to!

I've just emailed them a link to this page will let you know if it shames them into action, (don't hold your breath).
Just thought I'd let you know they got in touch yesterday and yet again said that sorry we can't help you we only deal with credit meters in this department we'll get the pre-payment department to get in touch within the next 5 working days.
When I asked about their threat to cut me off I was re-assured that this would not happen as my claim is being dealt with.

This morning however I got an automatic machine demanding immediate payment or further action will be taken to recover the debt.

Looks like I'll be sending another email for them to ignore.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:16   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just thought I'd let you know they got in touch yesterday and yet again said that sorry we can't help you we only deal with credit meters in this department we'll get the pre-payment department to get in touch within the next 5 working days.
When I asked about their threat to cut me off I was re-assured that this would not happen as my claim is being dealt with.

This morning however I got an automatic machine demanding immediate payment or further action will be taken to recover the debt.

Looks like I'll be sending another email for them to ignore.
Trouble is Less that when you actually get through to a human being, the computer doesn't recognise this, and keeps churning out notices at will
Old 16-07-2008, 14:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Trouble is Less that when you actually get through to a human being, the computer doesn't recognise this, and keeps churning out notices at will
Do you know, it's only been I year since all this started but until you mentioned it, I hadn't noticed that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..