Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2015, 02:57   #1
Senior Member+

Nazi salute

I'm sure most of you are aware of this non story being run by the sun newspaper:
The Sun

Personally,this latest embarrassment comes as no surprise,being familiar with the history of the royal family and their friendship with hitler back in the day.
I find the public outcry rather amusing,what do you lot think of it?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2015, 05:23   #2

Re: Nazi salute

Well the Nazi sympathies of Edward the Eighth are already well documented, so what new information does this film give us? The answer is probably, not a lot. It was 1933, long before the full horror of the Nazi regime had become apparent.

A dodgy uncle playing with his nieces and getting them to do something for the camera. I'd be more concerned if it had been filmed 10 years later when the Nazis were the enemy with whom we were ar war. I suspect the gesture had nowhere near the sinister significance in 1933 that it had later.

As for the Sun, their managing director appeared on Sky News to defend publication of the pictures, and his interview was entirely in line with the traditions of his paper.

A grubby little journalist writing grubby little stories to try and sell his grubby little rag.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 06:07   #3
Senior Member+

Do the England football team still salute the Germans when we play them?

I think our Liz suits German attire.
image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 19-07-2015, 07:38   #4
God Member

Probably vetoed by thet republican separatist rupert m urdoch himself. Why Cameron can associated himself with that enemy of the. State i don't know. He supported separation during the referendum. He is a piece of scum.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:03   #5
Beacon of light

This kind of salute was used long before the nazis commandeered it.
In itself it is not offensive.....it has only become offensive as a result of the Nazis using it....it was used in Roman times to show allegiance to the Caesars.
This is a bit of private film, taken at a time before much was known about what was going on in Germany.....it has to be looked at in that context.
I hope the Queens sues the britches off the Sun Newspaper......and wins.
I also hope they find out who provided the Sun with this bit of film.
cmonstanley, gdm27, david1 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-07-2015 at 09:05.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:14   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That sums it up very well to me Margaret, Personally i wouldn't use that newspaper as toilet roll.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:30   #7
Senior Member+

Comment deleted due to getting muddled up

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 19-07-2015 at 09:33. Reason: Confused
Old 19-07-2015, 09:52   #8
Senior Member+

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_salute

password--Accyweb
Old 19-07-2015, 10:29   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Unimportant, irrelevant & of no "news" value whatsoever, typical Sun really.
Eric and dotti34 like this.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This kind of salute was used long before the nazis commandeered it.
In itself it is not offensive.....it has only become offensive as a result of the Nazis using it...
Richard Herring once appeared on HIGNFY with a toothbrush moustache and went on a rant about how something as simple as where you shave can upset many people for no good reason other than "that bad person did it". He had a point, really. It was associated with Charlie Chaplin before that, so it was a widely-used fashion style until Hitler showed up.

It's a bit like the Americans I read about who either go on a rant, buy something else, or run out of a store screaming if their total or change comes to $6.66 - there will always be random stuff to offend people as long as there are idiots in the world - unfortunately we are making it easier for them to survive long enough to breed.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 12:11   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That sums it up very well to me Margaret, Personally i wouldn't use that newspaper as toilet roll.
Me neither......you would end up with a dirtier bottom than if you used no paper at all.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 19-07-2015, 12:16   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Richard Herring once appeared on HIGNFY with a toothbrush moustache and went on a rant about how something as simple as where you shave can upset many people for no good reason other than "that bad person did it". He had a point, really. It was associated with Charlie Chaplin before that, so it was a widely-used fashion style until Hitler showed up.

It's a bit like the Americans I read about who either go on a rant, buy something else, or run out of a store screaming if their total or change comes to $6.66 - there will always be random stuff to offend people as long as there are idiots in the world - unfortunately we are making it easier for them to survive long enough to breed.
The really sad thing is that the people who read the Sun will not think about the context of this picture, they won't see the good that has been achieved by members of the Royal family.......and whether we like it or not the Royal family do add to the sum total of the cultural wealth of this country...and they certainly won't consider the upset to a woman who was seven years old when this picture was taken......a PRIVATE picture...something that was for her family, not for publication.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 19-07-2015, 12:58   #13
God Member

she could do it today and i wouldnt give a stuff

maybe after they got the memo saying to stop hacking phones they started hacking video archives as a work around ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 13:02   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post

Hitler copied the Chaplin mustache because Hitler was a big fan of Charlie Chaplin..

even though Hitler looked an idiot do you really thing anyone around him wanted to tell him

its a good job flicks wernt deemed as offensive as a toothbrush mustache or the 80's would have been a very dark period lol

oh hang on they were but that was thanks to thatcher not a hair style

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 13:50   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
It was 1933, long before the full horror of the Nazi regime had become apparent.
And that's probably the most important point to make. That, and the fact that Her Majesty was a child; and didn't seem to be destined for the throne. But this is a tabloid "news"paper ... for those who like to look at pictures and occasionally figure out a few of the shorter words.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..