Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2009, 09:56   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Neighbourhood Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
well that's not the only toys out of the pram is 479 John and you know it. Because you lost, the leader is throwing his toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit about it. This is his childish response.
No Graham, he is just taking a leaf out of the books of past Labour Leaders of HBC. The thing is you like to make the rules when in power but think you should make them in opposition and you are in opposition for a reason
Old 31-07-2009, 10:32   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No Graham, he is just taking a leaf out of the books of past Labour Leaders of HBC. The thing is you like to make the rules when in power but think you should make them in opposition and you are in opposition for a reason
Is it the same reason you've been in opposition in Westminster for the past twelve years, or a different one?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 10:46   #18
God Member

I don't know if I this helps or not but from what I understand this is what's happened....

Neighbourhead Management was set up some years ago and managed by the Council in five wards - the deprived ones from what I understand - with a chunk of funding.

Each area, plus all the other areas in the borough, have had Area Councils. Or, in the case of Peel and Barnfield, a seperate body which was set up by residents. In many areas across the borough these weren't being well attended.

Now, every area will have a Neighbourhood Management board. In areas where there was already an established Neighbourhood Management board nothing will change. In areas where there is an Area Council i.e. Ossy, it will change to being a Neighbourhood Management board. In Ossy, very little will change because we have mostly Conservative Councillors and it's really just a change of name.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 11:22   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is it the same reason you've been in opposition in Westminster for the past twelve years, or a different one?
Exactly, but things are going to change in Westminster but very unlikely in Hyndburn
Old 31-07-2009, 17:29   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't know if I this helps or not but from what I understand this is what's happened....

Neighbourhead Management was set up some years ago and managed by the Council in five wards - the deprived ones from what I understand - with a chunk of funding.

Each area, plus all the other areas in the borough, have had Area Councils. Or, in the case of Peel and Barnfield, a seperate body which was set up by residents. In many areas across the borough these weren't being well attended.

Now, every area will have a Neighbourhood Management board. In areas where there was already an established Neighbourhood Management board nothing will change. In areas where there is an Area Council i.e. Ossy, it will change to being a Neighbourhood Management board. In Ossy, very little will change because we have mostly Conservative Councillors and it's really just a change of name.

Sort of. Area Council's were political (always defending the Council/promoting the Council) and failing. Attendances dropped to around 3 in P&B and as low in other areas. Out of Accy they were more successful. They catered for small things in areas with little problems.

In Accy they failed because they promised a lot and did little. So residents across Accy set up NM to a different job. Not to spend Council money (they all had no budget) but to make sure the money that was being spent was spent better and 2. Talk about strategic issues rather than park benches. Residents could join, they just had to commit to being there at every meeting (as issues progressed from meeting to meeting).

NM included the public and the public could chair the meetings. At this moment in time I think none are chaired by Councillors (except the new Council one in Rishton).

No more long Council presentations. No more long discussions about spending £25 in the local park. Instead Landlord Licesning, Street Ambassodors, Visual Blight, Street Audits, hi tec CCTV cameras to loan +++ Community hubs and offices with helpful staff.

And with this success comes the Council looking to steal it all back under their umbrella.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 17:31   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yes we will be changing the rules. Out with dictatorship, in with democracy. You'll like it so much you might even want to vote Labour.
Old 31-07-2009, 18:52   #22
God Member

Quote:
Yes we will be changing the rules. Out with dictatorship, in with democracy. You'll like it so much you might even want to vote Labour.
You know Graham, you'd get much more credit if you didn't attack for the sake of attacking using words like 'dictatorship' for an elected leader.

You and Peter share similar traits. Here you're claiming he's controlled obsessed. Though he's trying to put an independent councillor in... even one that was formally Labour. By doing that it removes your control from your baby, so you're throwing the toys out of the pram. See you both want to be in control and clashing isn't really doing anybody any good, you're both to blame.
Old 31-07-2009, 19:47   #23
God Member

Quote:
My take on this....If it's not broken, don't mend it.
I am a Tory, Yes....but don't like the sound of this.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 19:52   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
You know Graham, you'd get much more credit if you didn't attack for the sake of attacking using words like 'dictatorship' for an elected leader.

You and Peter share similar traits. Here you're claiming he's controlled obsessed. Though he's trying to put an independent councillor in... even one that was formally Labour. By doing that it removes your control from your baby, so you're throwing the toys out of the pram. See you both want to be in control and clashing isn't really doing anybody any good, you're both to blame.
I think you'll find Andrew I stepped down as Chair this year to allow residents to take more control... It would help if you did your research before you started. (I also did that with Arden Hall)

I am there to empower people, as I said more democracy. Cllr Britcliffe is dictatorial in his approach to most things.
Old 31-07-2009, 19:58   #25
God Member

Quote:
I think you'll find Andrew I stepped down as Chair this year to allow residents to take more control... It would help if you did your research before you started. (I also did that with Arden Hall)

I am there to empower people, as I said more democracy. Cllr Britcliffe is dictatorial in his approach to most things.
What makes you think the independent councillor who was formally one of your Labour colleagues will not allow residents control? How will you know unless you bother to attend..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
No more long Council presentations. No more long discussions about spending £25 in the local park. Instead Landlord Licesning, Street Ambassodors, Visual Blight, Street Audits, hi tec CCTV cameras to loan +++ Community hubs and offices with helpful staff.
I agree that the Area Council meeting can be a little boring at times and are fairly formal. I also understand that they have to be conducted in the correct manner as they are a part of the Council - minutes approved, spending proposed and seconded etc.

It sound to me like your original concept for the NMB's was for inline with residents and friends of groups. If that is the case I do think they can be run much less formally. They are not spending tax payers money for a start.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27   #27
Senior Member+

He has a deal with the Tories and as such was sacked by the other 4 independents this week for being partial and unethical.

Secondly he is a councillor. I want a resident. One who lives in the HMR area as that is important. Pritchard has no idea about the area. He is only doing it to do PBs dirty work so next year he can be Mayor.

Last edited by g jones; 01-08-2009 at 08:30.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
He has a deal with the Tories and as such was sacked by the other 4 independents this week for being partial and unethical.
How can an independent be sacked??

Are you saying that the independents are a party in there own right and not independent at all?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hell will freeze over first, especially with a megalomaniac like you anywhere near power
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just to add to my earlier post, you say that I may want to vote Labour, that's very strange when only last week your official candidate at a by-election couldn't even put that on her leaflets, If your official candidate is so ashamed of your party that she won't put that statement on her literature why would anybody want to vote for her, or your party for that matter

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..