Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 14:25   #1

New bulbs.

Well Tony's been at it again;along with other EU leaders he has decreed that old style light bulbs will be 'phased'out in the next two years.
After this time stockist will only be allowed to sell the energy saving replacements(plus any remaining old stocks).
Basically the bulbs cost 8 times as much will last 5 times as long and give off 5 times as much illumination and as a bonus reduce the Co2 produced each year in lighting the bulb by a third.
Sounds a good idea,providing stocks are available and you are not the bloke who does the bulbs in the Blackpool illuminations.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2007, 14:31   #2
God Member

Re: New bulbs.

I hate the things! It takes them too long to illuminate 100% for my liking so they can go and boil their heads in a bucket of P these Europrats and the Pres. Me I will buy as many of the old ones as I can and store them for future use.

Energy saving my little toe if they were that good we would have had em years ago.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 14:35   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

so what about those other type of bulbs?
like the long fleuresent (cant spell) lights or the spot light ones, because as you said spuggie them 'things' are absolutley ****e!!
Old 10-03-2007, 14:43   #4
God Member

Not sure but if they are to be banned. There would be BIG problems at work as the office space is all those star wars lights. A lot of places especially shops use them so what happens then lights on at 7am so there is enough illumination for shoppers by 9am.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 14:44   #5

Might be a money spinner Spuggie buy stocks up and sell on e bay!
Old 10-03-2007, 14:47   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Might be a money spinner Spuggie buy stocks up and sell on e bay!
Now there's a thought and it didnt cross my mind.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 14:57   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well i think its really takin the p1ss, ordinary people can help and pay to save the planet and many big industries plus many governments dont give a rats, and could do far more than change lightbulbs.
Old 10-03-2007, 14:59   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well i think its really takin the p1ss, ordinary people can help and pay to save the planet and many big industries plus many governments dont give a rats, and could do far more than change lightbulbs.
If they wanted to save the planet they would all be on bikes, sailing/rowing abroad, making planes illegal and heaven forbid they might close the breweries.

This bulb guff is a bit of showing off to please the bums in Brussels.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 15:00   #9
I am Banned

Changed all mine to conserve leccy not that they make much difference but yeh they are dull, got 60w equiv & still got asked for a torch LOL!!!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 15:04   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Changed all mine to conserve leccy not that they make much difference but yeh they are dull, got 60w equiv & still got asked for a torch LOL!!!!

They are that dull Gordon Brown exudes more light and thats saying something. Question though which uses more glass the old globe or new snake?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 15:05   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

forgot to mention,we have a couple for about 12months now,we think they are crap n nowhere near as bright as ordinary bog standard bulbs, so i,m with spug on this - will stock up.
Old 10-03-2007, 15:06   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
They are that dull Gordon Brown exudes more light and thats saying something. Question though which uses more glass the old globe or new snake?
LOL tho the fluescent tubes are good tho very bright & economic
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 15:13   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
LOL tho the fluescent tubes are good tho very bright & economic
Unlike that Fifer in 11 Downing Street.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 15:24   #14

The cost to industry will be prohibitive if the bulbs cost is x 8 then most offices of any size will not comply.I reckon there will be a panic buy up of stocks as the date approaches. I might follow my own E bay suggestion!
Old 10-03-2007, 16:04   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I seem to remember a few years ago, an American power company offered free energy saving bulbs to anyone that wanted them and as a result that company saved enough energy to pay for the initial cost of the bulbs and close down a complete power generation station.

filament light bulbs waste a great deal of electricity in heat,

Quote:
The conventional incandescent light bulb, little changed since it was patented by Thomas Edison in the 19th century, is cited by the IEA as the primary obstacle to a consumer shift to more efficient lighting - 95 per cent of the electricity consumed by a typical 60-watt bulb is discharged as heat.
(taken from Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs offers `enormous' saving),

So perhaps the way forward would be if rather than bully people into the new technology if our government took the brave step of replacing Old Lamps for new, just as was done in the story of Aladdin we would all be more willing to join with this not too inconvenient idea and put up with the minor shortcomings of the 'energy saver', and instead of fighting it, embrace this wonderous saving that is available to all?

Last edited by Less; 10-03-2007 at 16:11.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..