Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 08:25   #61
Senior Member+

Re: New Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Who is actually going to enforce the rules at the new bus station ?

You can always come and park outside my shop at lunchtime, it will make a change from 10,000 Pilky buses queued up at the same time
You should have added "Blowing obnoxious fumes out of the exhaust which drifts into the passengers on the bus through the open door while the driver reads the Quaran".
And that is exactly what happened when I boarded a bus there once.
BOB likes this.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41   #62

Public toilets seem to going the same way as the public libraries, at one time they used to belong to the public and fer the benefit of em.
Eric likes this.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02   #63
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
Public toilets seem to going the same way as the public libraries, at one time they used to belong to the public and fer the benefit of em.
The things you read in the public toilets may not have been in the Queens English, but unlike the libraries it would always be in large print.
Busman747 and Gremlin like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:44   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The things you read in the public toilets may not have been in the Queens English, but unlike the libraries it would always be in large print.
Kilroy Was Here.
Eric likes this.
Old 11-07-2016, 16:49   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Kilroy Was Here.
I jump for glee. I jump for joy. I was here before Kilroy.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 17:51   #66
Senior Member+

I drove down King Street in Accrington about 11.55 this morning and a red single decker bus was letting passengers off on the new Farm Foods car park.
I can't remember if it was M&M or a Pilky bus.
Old 11-07-2016, 20:00   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
Maybe this has something to do with the Americanization of British Culture. The Americans, and American businesses operating in Canada, have a puritanical attitude to bodily functions. They are disgusting and embarrassing. It is difficult to locate the bog in department stores. One has to ask. And "where the [deleted] is the bog; I need to take a dump?" doesn't elicit much of a response. Folks don't go to take a whizz or a dump; they go to the bathroom, or to "powder their nose". Gas stations have bogs ... but you have to ask for the key. And when you get there, they are more disgusting than the bogs at Accy Grammar. Almost as disgusting as the bog at the Forts Arms bus stop Oh for the days of numerous cheap or free public bogs! As T. S. Eliot wrote in "The Wasteland" (a poem about Yorkshire):

There's a Gentleman's urinal at the back of Waterloo,
And the "Ladies" is a little further down.
For a penny on deposit
You can hire a water closet,
And a season ticket's only half a crown."
Old 12-07-2016, 09:15   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
One has to ask. And "where the [deleted] is the bog; I need to take a dump?" doesn't elicit much of a response. Folks don't go to take a whizz or a dump; they go to the bathroom, or to "powder their nose". Gas stations have bogs ... but you have to ask for the key. And when you get there, they are more disgusting than the bogs at Accy Grammar.
I can't understand why they call them 'rest rooms', whenever I go the bog it isn't for a rest, I know I'm going to be active one way or another, nor do I feel inclined to 'rest' in these places after my activities especially when I can rest far more comfortably in a room that has a bar.
Eric likes this.
Old 12-07-2016, 17:43   #69
Senior Member+

I could never understand why Accrington bus station cost £6.7 million when Blackburn only cost £4.7 million.
is it more expensive to micro-size
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 19:03   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
I could never understand why Accrington bus station cost £6.7 million when Blackburn only cost £4.7 million.
is it more expensive to micro-size
I think it is called the inverse economics of scale

Questions for you guys: Was the contract to build the bus station tendered? Were the bids made public? Were there any cost overruns? Is there muzak in the bogs?
Old 12-07-2016, 19:23   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think it is called the inverse economics of scale

Questions for you guys: Was the contract to build the bus station tendered? Were the bids made public? Were there any cost overruns? Is there muzak in the bogs?
no but there is a clonk after you insert your 20p
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 20:18   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
no but there is a clonk after you insert your 20p
Oh for the days when you could buy two pints and six of chips for that kinda money.
Old 13-07-2016, 08:34   #73

Inspected the bus station looks rather splendid as do the disabled loos complete with showers so hats off for that. Only problem I can see with it is the public not following the exit routes provided as we watched lots of people walking in and out of the bus lanes and staff frantically trying to stop them. Also like the way an exit more or less faces the shopping centre. Info centre was helpful but did wonder what the other locked room further down with a sink in it might be in the future?
Old 13-07-2016, 09:10   #74

A shower? I know they are needed at international airports for people that have travelled many miles and are waiting for a connecting flight, but, how much delay could there possibly be between connecting local transports that create the need to take a shower!

Don't Worry About The Roof, That Arrives Next Year!
Old 13-07-2016, 11:27   #75
Junior Member+

Impressive looking,but did they need to spend 6.4 million to swop the old car park and bus station? Peel Street is to become a car park!! At the opening on Monday Miles Parkinson is quoted "First piece of multi million jigsaw of investment".I think HBC. have lost the lid of the box and are making their own picture up ! Before they come up with any more pie in the sky projects they should attempt to use the cash to improve what we have. Subsidise rents on empty shops,reduce business rates,improve traffic flow by strictly enforcing no parking regs.(Blackburn Road?) parking on pavements,abuse of blue badges,(use of badge by perfectly fit person and badge holder not in the vehicle),parking attendents are allowed to check this and fine where needed,we need more of them and not just in the town centre,litter wardens also .Just consoldidate and make what we have work before venturing into cloud cuckoo land again !
ray honda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..