Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2016, 12:04   #76
Beacon of light

Re: New Bus Station

Some excellent suggestions there.
We went into town yesterday morning...the market was non existent(almost)...Broadway was deserted.
I did not look at the new Bus station to see if all the residents of Accrington were queued up to get out of what is a very depressing town...the only positive thing I can come up with is that one of the holes in the tarmac on Peel St has been patched up now the buses no longer need the road to be smooth.
Is there anybody running this town or are they all trying to run it into the ground..because I have news for you...It is already there!
BOB and Busman747 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2016, 12:22   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Litter Police? I walked past the old bus station yesterday already got fences up for the no doubt inevitable bog closing ceremony, I needed to get rid of a dog end, the bin was behind the wire fencing out of reach.
Before we get more litter police can we have more litter bins within reach of the public?
BOB likes this.

Last edited by Less; 13-07-2016 at 12:24.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 14:13   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Some excellent suggestions there.
We went into town yesterday morning...the market was non existent(almost)...Broadway was deserted.
I did not look at the new Bus station to see if all the residents of Accrington were queued up to get out of what is a very depressing town...the only positive thing I can come up with is that one of the holes in the tarmac on Peel St has been patched up now the buses no longer need the road to be smooth.
Is there anybody running this town or are they all trying to run it into the ground..because I have news for you...It is already there!
Well they have to fill in those holes, after all its gonna be a car park.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:37   #79
Beacon of light

Why will anyone need a car park when the market is stuffed, the shops(what there are) are dire.
I am getting to the point where I do not like going into town at all.......and from the look of the town yesterday i am not on my own.
it is time that those who are supposed to have the town at the heart of their agenda sat up and took notice of what is going on...take off those rose coloured spectacles.....it doesn't matter how many flowers you put on a dung heap it still stinks!
BOB likes this.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:48   #80

Quote:
it is time that those who are supposed to have the town at the heart of their agenda sat up and took notice of what is going on...
Someone like an M.P. that cares more about his community than which divvy is in charge of his party?

Is that what you mean?
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:54   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I went down dinner timeish today, on the bus, the new bus station looks very nice, very few people in it though, had a good look round and went for a brew, me usual cafe is normally very busy weds dinner, not today Dont get carried away less, an M.P. i always thought was elected by his constituents to serve them, but as 95% of em are too stupid to think for themselves, that seems to have vanished.
Old 13-07-2016, 15:26   #82
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Someone like an M.P. that cares more about his community than which divvy is in charge of his party?

Is that what you mean?
I think you have to,perhaps, start with people on the council.

I really think anything to do with the state of our town is probably 'small beer' to our elected representative at the Palace of Westminster....there is neither kudos nor money in it for him.
He probably has bigger fish to fry(for now at any rate).
Old 13-07-2016, 15:38   #83

Quote:
I think you have to,perhaps, start with people on the council.

I really think anything to do with the state of our town is probably 'small beer' to our elected representative at the Palace of Westminster....there is neither kudos nor money in it for him.
He probably has bigger fish to fry(for now at any rate).
Perhaps that is wrong thinking?

Once every 4 or 5 years we get a chance to send someone to London supposedly to represent we, the people, if he/she can't see that, then they are unfit for purpose.

I want someone that puts our area above party politics, someone that can demonstrate to our Councillors that in fighting is not the priority, the people must come above all the party and chamber bickering.

Another General Election can't be far away, I hope all that are put forward by any of the parties will keep this in mind, it is after all, what at least 95% of us desire.

Last edited by Less; 13-07-2016 at 15:40.
Old 13-07-2016, 17:26   #84
Senior Member+

I wonder if Corbyn gets re-elected the MPs that voted "No Confidence" will resign from their seats in parliament as a matter of principal? Perhaps I am too naive.
Old 13-07-2016, 17:42   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I wonder if Corbyn gets re-elected the MPs that voted "No Confidence" will resign from their seats in parliament as a matter of principal? Perhaps I am too naive.
Too naive, those vipers are in it for themselves Barrie. thats already been proved to the nation imho.
Old 13-07-2016, 18:01   #86
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

I want someone that puts our area above party politics, someone that can demonstrate to our Councillors that in fighting is not the priority, the people must come above all the party and chamber bickering.
Yes, that sums it up very well. Do you think that we expect too much?

I had high hopes that we had a person who would do all of that.....but, sadly I have been disappointed, let down. Shame on me.I won't be making the same mistake twice.
Old 13-07-2016, 22:58   #87
Senior Member+

I have asked the question before - why should party politics have any influence on local. or even regional councils. Surely all councillors should only attempt to provide what is best for the electorate that they represent.
Old 14-07-2016, 06:21   #88
Beacon of light

Me too....and I have been saying it for yonks.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 17-07-2016, 14:38   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
I could never understand why Accrington bus station cost £6.7 million when Blackburn only cost £4.7 million.
is it more expensive to micro-size
maybe they used lego

them bricks are really expensive

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:43   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have asked the question before - why should party politics have any influence on local. or even regional councils. Surely all councillors should only attempt to provide what is best for the electorate that they represent.

iv often said party labels should be removed from county and ocal concil the only time it matters is for government

if people didnt have to choose a side and the only choice was the person and what they can bring to the table it would remove a lot of sillyness and petty squabbling

i dont have examples to hand but its been reported on here that a good idea for the area has been turned away simply on the basis that the opposing party suggested or wanted it which i have no doubt hs happened in both directions

its no better than kids saying dont play with that kid because hes different or comes from a different area of accy
KiTChener likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..