Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Time terrorist suspects can be held without charge.
I'm in favour of the time being increased to 42 days. 14 56.00%
I think the time should remain at 28 days. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 23:13   #286
Give, give, give member

Re: new concession for terror bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
In spite of some people’s beliefs in polls, they are not, have not and never can be representative of the country as whole. They rarely if ever ask more than 10,000 people and they cannot show if someone answers the questions truthfully or not.

How the can the views of 10,000 people represent the real views of some 55 million people?

So your claim that 65-70% of the British people support the increase from 28 days to 42 is a load of old cobblers and has no validity whatsoever.
I make no claim for this, or any other poll.

As an obserber I just take an interest in the results.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2008, 23:32   #287
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when elections come around the "seat" polls always seem pretty accurate to me.
Old 14-06-2008, 23:43   #288

This poll isn’t all that far off the 65% mark, obviously the more that take part the more accurate it will be but 56%, as showing now, is not all that far away from what garinda quoted
Old 14-06-2008, 23:47   #289
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
This poll isn’t all that far off the 65% mark, obviously the more that take part the more accurate it will be but 56%, as showing now, is not all that far away from what garinda quoted
if he was dead on 100% it would still be disputed by some.
Old 14-06-2008, 23:53   #290
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I tried to make the wording as fair as I could.

I'll stand my ground to the cows come home that I totally support the increase in time suspects can be held.

So far this poll doesn't really reflects those taken nationally, but that's democracy.

(Luckily for our national security there is a narrow majority in favour of increased measures against terrorism here, just as there was in our parliament.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 00:07   #291
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I tried to make the wording as fair as I could.

I'll stand my ground to the cows come home that I totally support the increase in time suspects can be held.

So far this poll doesn't really reflects those taken nationally, but that's democracy.

(Luckily for our national security there is a narrow majority in favour of increased measures against terrorism here, just as there was in our parliament.)
Thank god for that!!!
Old 15-06-2008, 00:15   #292
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Thank god for that!!!
i dont need thanking Bernie.
Old 15-06-2008, 00:33   #293
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i dont need thanking Bernie.
You and a few sensible people that can see further than the end of their nose then All well and good saying longer detention isn't needed, wonder what the shout will be WHEN the next terrorist attack occurs. But then again if none of their family are killed or injured what does it matter??
Old 15-06-2008, 09:18   #294
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You and a few sensible people that can see further than the end of their nose then All well and good saying longer detention isn't needed, wonder what the shout will be WHEN the next terrorist attack occurs. But then again if none of their family are killed or injured what does it matter??
Bernie the present legislation has been quite sufficent, in handling terrorist, like I have said and for all the posturing nobody has answered my question on the 28 day legislation, how many people have been released because the time ran out under the existing 28 day legislation. Much in the same way as, has gun crime dropped since banning hand guns. has knife crime dropped since new legislation, is the introduction of speed cameras cut road accidents or just raised millions of pounds for the treasury, have ASBOs curbed peoples bad habits or are they just a badge of honour. This government just make poliy on the hoof

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..