Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Time terrorist suspects can be held without charge.
I'm in favour of the time being increased to 42 days. 14 56.00%
I think the time should remain at 28 days. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54   #61
God Member

Re: new concession for terror bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not very successfully, judging by the amount of deaths, injury and heartache terrorism has inflicted on this nation in the past.
Yet 6 weeks would have solved zero of that, though it could have provoked more.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:55   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Yet 6 weeks would have solved zero of that, though it could have provoked more.
Sadly for those who died, and those left maimed or bereaved, we'll never know.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:00   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sadly for those who died, and those left maimed or bereaved, we'll never know.
We do know. 42 days would not have made the slightest bit of difference and unfortunate as that is. I only wish 42 days could have done, and I'd be completely backing it.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12   #64
God Member

Quote:
We do know. 42 days would not have made the slightest bit of difference and unfortunate as that is. I only wish 42 days could have done, and I'd be completely backing it.
But how do we know?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
But how do we know?
Because to be held for 42 days, you need to be held for 28 days, and none of these people were.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34   #66
God Member

Quote:
Because to be held for 42 days, you need to be held for 28 days, and none of these people were.
So you are saying that no terror suspect has ever been held for twenty eight days?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21   #67
God Member

Quote:
So you are saying that no terror suspect has ever been held for twenty eight days?
I am saying that no terror suspect who committed the acts of killing people has been held for 28 days and then released, only to commit the offences. This is what we're arguing isn't it? That 42 days would not have made a difference on 7/7.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26   #68
God Member

Quote:
I am saying that no terror suspect who committed the acts of killing people has been held for 28 days and then released, only to commit the offences. This is what we're arguing isn't it? That 42 days would not have made a difference on 7/7.
But it could make a difference in the future, so what is the problem? If we can prevent another terrible attack is it not better?? It looks a damm sight better from where I am
Old 11-06-2008, 12:27   #69
God Member

Quote:
But it could make a difference in the future, so what is the problem? If we can prevent another terrible attack is it not better?? It looks a damm sight better from where I am
So are you happy with 6months, a year, 5 years? As long as they say it could prevent them in the future? MP's should be deciding things on what is right, based on what is necessary. The terrorists want to remove our freedoms, we're doing it for them!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:34   #70
God Member

Quote:
So are you happy with 6months, a year, 5 years? As long as they say it could prevent them in the future? MP's should be deciding things on what is right, based on what is necessary. The terrorists want to remove our freedoms, we're doing it for them!
I am happy for them to be held till they can be charged and convicted of plotting to commit an act of terrorism. If that means they are held longer than twenty eight days then yes I am more than happy!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36   #71
God Member

Quote:
I am happy for them to be held till they can be charged and convicted of plotting to commit an act of terrorism. If that means they are held longer than twenty eight days then yes I am more than happy!!!
So you have no problem with detaining someone for an indefinite period of time, if they're innocent? Because that's what a lot of these people are, innocent. Shall we just hold people for years and years in the hope that we might prove them of something? Can you not see the problem with this?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:39   #72
God Member

Quote:
So you have no problem with detaining someone for an indefinite period of time, if they're innocent? Because that's what a lot of these people are, innocent. Shall we just hold people for years and years in the hope that we might prove them of something? Can you not see the problem with this?
I didn't say that and you know it.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43   #73
God Member

Quote:
I didn't say that and you know it.
It appears to be what you're saying though, because innocent people are held under this act!

It has transpired that of the two people taken to 28 days that were guilty (the majority were innocent) the evidence was available after 4 and 12 days respectively. So the most complex terrorist case we have had, has been solved in 4 and 12 days. Completely unnecessary to hold people for 42 days on this basis.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56   #74
God Member

Quote:
It appears to be what you're saying though, because innocent people are held under this act!

It has transpired that of the two people taken to 28 days that were guilty (the majority were innocent) the evidence was available after 4 and 12 days respectively. So the most complex terrorist case we have had, has been solved in 4 and 12 days. Completely unnecessary to hold people for 42 days on this basis.
What is so wrong with having the forty two days as a safety net? I am pretty certain that people who plan to commit acts of terror don't make collecting evidence a doddle for the police and it won't always be the case that the evidence will be found in twelve days.
Old 11-06-2008, 13:11   #75
God Member

Quote:
What is so wrong with having the forty two days as a safety net? I am pretty certain that people who plan to commit acts of terror don't make collecting evidence a doddle for the police and it won't always be the case that the evidence will be found in twelve days.
Sorry I forgot to add that those people held to 28 days and proved guilty, are never the serious offenders, in fact they were bailed. Clearly not a threat.

What is wrong with it is it unnecessarily removes freedoms, for no justified reason. The moment it can be justified, I will be quite happy to agree with it. It is counter productive and will prove more of a national security threat for no justified reason.

Genuinely take 5 minutes and put yourself in these shoes, how would you feel to be detained without any idea what for, without any evidence against you, for 42 days, 6 weeks, 1000 hours? Not only this but if you are creating 'just in case' legislation, then what is to stop this being increased to 60 days, 80 days, 100 days? We should be looking at what is needed and 42 days is simply not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..