Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Time terrorist suspects can be held without charge.
I'm in favour of the time being increased to 42 days. 14 56.00%
I think the time should remain at 28 days. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 00:44   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

new concession for terror bill.

just seen for the 42 day detention fer terror suspects, a concession to try get the bill through that fer each day after the 28 a suspect who is not charged will recieve up to £3000 per day compensation, so if they keep em the 42 that means a bag of £42,000, dont know about you, but hope they pull me as a suspect. what dya think?
Old 11-06-2008, 00:48   #2
God Member

Re: new concession for terror bill.

I see, money fixes the problem they seem to think? I know prisoners who get incorrectly prisoned get a lot of money. Personally I don't think you can put a price on freedom.
Old 11-06-2008, 00:50   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just seen for the 42 day detention fer terror suspects, a concession to try get the bill through that fer each day after the 28 a suspect who is not charged will recieve up to £3000 per day compensation, so if they keep em the 42 that means a bag of £42,000, dont know about you, but hope they pull me as a suspect. what dya think?
They could use that money for a nice holiday.

There are some great deals to Cuba.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 00:52   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Personally I don't think you can put a price on freedom.
Personally I don't think you can put a price on the lives of the men, women, and children of this country.

I'd hold 'em for 4 years and 2 months if another bombing could be prevented.

Old 11-06-2008, 00:55   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
They could use that money for a nice holiday.

There are some great deals to Cuba.
They could go to Zimbabwe or China, people are detained without charge for less there. Quite scary.
Old 11-06-2008, 00:56   #6
God Member

ha ha .. but your are well on the Target list Cashy..have a good time in Barbados
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:00   #7
God Member

Quote:
Personally I don't think you can put a price on the lives of the men, women, and children of this country.

I don't think you can defend freedoms by taking them away.

We need to tackle young Muslim radicalism. If we lock up an innocent person, is it going to make the Muslim community more likely to help or less?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:05   #8
God Member

Quote:

Agree if there is the slightest bit of evidence hold them for however long it takes to prove otherwise. If any suspect can prove they have been held unlawfully no doubt they will prove it and be will compensated for the privelege
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Agree if there is the slightest bit of evidence hold them for however long it takes to prove otherwise. If any suspect can prove they have been held unlawfully no doubt they will prove it and be will compensated for the privelege
Nobody would disagree with you here! The thing is this bill is for detaining people with NO evidence! If there was evidence they could just charge them.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think you can defend freedoms by taking them away.

We need to tackle young Muslim radicalism. If we lock up an innocent person, is it going to make the Muslim community more likely to help or less?
So you'd hold them so long without charge, with your principles intact, just not for another three weeks, because then that is so different?

I've heard three bombs go off, seen the devastation they can cause. I'd have no qualms about holding someone for longer who I suspected of planning a terrorist attack on the citizens of the U.K.

Loss of freedom can be compensated, loss of life can't, especially to the dead.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14   #11
God Member

Except no evidence has been given that shows we need to increase from 28 to 42 days. We're increasing it with no justification, how does this help improve relations? We should be tackling terror smartly.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:16   #12
God Member

Loss of freedom can be compensated, loss of life can't, especially to the dead.
That is the end of it.. well said Garinda.. someone has made my mind up
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18   #13
God Member

Then you'll be happy to change your mind because members of all political parties accept that more than 28 days has never been necessary.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:19   #14
God Member

Quote:
Nobody would disagree with you here! The thing is this bill is for detaining people with NO evidence! If there was evidence they could just charge them.
Don't think they arrest people with NO evidence but if that is what you think they are doing so be it. Thought you were an intelligent sort of person(you are at university) but do you not think that sometimes suspects being moved out of the equation might help the investigation?? The suspects might have frighteners on witnesses or something like that. The real world awaits when you discard the fantasy that nobody is a threat
Old 11-06-2008, 01:23   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Don't think they arrest people with NO evidence but if that is what you think they are doing so be it. Thought you were an intelligent sort of person(you are at university) but do you not think that sometimes suspects being moved out of the equation might help the investigation?? The suspects might have frighteners on witnesses or something like that. The real world awaits when you discard the fantasy that nobody is a threat
You're accusing me of not being in the real world but this is EXACTLY what the terrorism act does. This is why I am so against the increase.

It detains people without charge, if there was any evidence at all they would be charged.

I agree with you, I want to be tough on terror, if there is evidence, lock them up for life!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..