Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2017, 05:26   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: New Driving Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
I must admit that I use google maps for going anywhere I don't know. I find using one very handy.

However, this puts approx £70 onto the cost of a driving test, because the trainee will likely need to get one.

Satnav sellers will love this.
Unless they use the satnav on their phone. I use google maps because it's internet linked and calculates the best route based on current traffic and it knows about traffic jams before you get to them. Non internet linked satnavs are old school now but still work especially if you're somewhere with no phone signal
Old 03-06-2017, 09:13   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I travel around a fair bit sometimes and find satnavs very useful, they can calculate the best route for different circumstances and warn of traffic jams and guide you around them if possible. I don't think they are any more distracting than someone in passenger seat giving directions.
Shouldn't be part of the Driving test though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i once found myself approaching someone in the fast lane of a motorway at night who was stationary with his huge fold out map out looking to see where he was

id say satnavs were safer too

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i once found myself approaching someone in the fast lane of a motorway at night who was stationary with his huge fold out map out looking to see where he was

id say satnavs were safer too
Hope yeh took his reg and reported the clown.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope yeh took his reg and reported the clown.
i couldnt really complain i was driving towards him........

JOKING

yes i did

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:48   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I passed my driving test in July 1957.
I was a professional driver from 1966 until I retired in 1998.
None of the vehicles I drove had a satnav fitted and through the use of maps, a few minutes advance planning plus a few notes jotted down I managed to find my way there and back from as far north as Dounray power station near John O Groats with a 38 ton tanker to as far South and east as Lake Garda with a coach load of passengers.
My last two cars have had factory fitted satnavs and I find them useful only to warn me of speed cameras.
similar situation to me plus you,ve got a tongue in your head also. only got lost once trying to find buchanan bus station in glasgow and that was due to not understanding a word the locals said plus i,m not called jimmy. even found the notorious stadium mk though. my cars are too old for sat navs but purchased one of those divices that warn of fixed and mobile cash cows.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..