Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2006, 13:20   #16
God Member

Re: NEW! Foxhill Bank Nature Reserve website

Old 28-06-2006, 13:34   #17
Give, give, give member

Any more pics on your site Kipax? Looks good.

I did see you wandering about whilst I was sat in bed watching Trisha, but thought if I shouted out of the window I would have frightened both you and the wildlife.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 13:42   #18
God Member

Am doing the pics in a mo to put onsite.. got lots of different ones and some wildlife.... Didn't ya see my missus as well ?
Old 30-06-2006, 06:10   #19
God Member

Ironically, although I live closest to the entrance of the reserve the one thing I don't have is a view of it from my house. I'm about 20ft from the entrance but have a gable end pointing at it so envy Garinda's splendid view.

I have to admit that I've lived in Ossy most of my life but didn't know the place existed until about six years ago. I would take a guess that a lot of people in Ossy don't know it exists.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 07:23   #20
Give, give, give member

It is somewhere we came to walk before I moved here.

We were walking through it at Easter two years ago when I'd just moved back home, when we saw the for sale sign whilst looking up from the benches.

Happily because the estate agent was closed over Easter we shoved a note through the door saying we'd like to view it and left our phone number. I was the first person to look round and because houses were selling very fast then made him an offer. I told him I would be paying cash and he even knocked something off the price thinking he was going to get a carrier bag full of notes!

Mine and next door are probably the only houses that can see the lodges all year round because there is a gap in the trees. Last night I lay on the sofa with the front door open watching the swallows dive en masse over the water. This morning I awoke and sat up in bed to see the Heron in it's usual place by the little island.

I feel very lucky living here, nice views and smashing neighbours, something I never had whilst living in cities.

Old 30-06-2006, 07:48   #21

Nice informative site, with the corrections mentioned by others it'll be even better, love the gallery bit and can't wait until there is more images in it.

I may well go have a snoop around this weekend.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:47   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
This morning I awoke and sat up in bed to see the Heron in it's usual place by the little island.
You sure that bl**dy heron's not plastic????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:13   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
You sure that bl**dy heron's not plastic????
Not unless someone flies it like a kite as we see it flying over our house regular
It has a few feeding sites, its on the nature reserve, flies up to the "Antley syke" mid morning - see another thread about this goes to the bubble factory lodge and see if flying towards Accrington from there, don't know where it lands though, seems to be heading in the direction off haggs lodge but thats only a guess. We see it last night on someones rooftop and was eyeing up the property owners fishpond or it was after a mate as he also has a plastic heron next to his pond.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:24   #24
God Member

It was a looong way away when i took the pick... the other side of the lodge and then back some near top of trees. 420mm lens and still had to crop all the way in..
Old 01-07-2006, 11:29   #25
Resting in Peace

Am definitely going to try and find this place during one lunch time next week and take a look. Will I need wellies, usually have stilettoes on at work and don't wish to leave behind in what looks like marshy ground ?.
A refreshing glass of lemonade would be welcome Garinda

Think that Heron comes to visit my lodge later, see it most days, their very timid, slightest movement and its off ... woe betide another Heron though if it tries to land on its territory .. look delicate, don't they ? Wanna'see 'em fight

Plastic that's was very funny H-R. Thought of Garinda waking up every morning and believing was real and turns out to be plastic.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 21:57   #26
God Member

What is a lodge and what is it for ?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 21:58   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Am definitely going to try and find this place during one lunch time next week and take a look. Will I need wellies, usually have stilettoes on at work and don't wish to leave behind in what looks like marshy ground ?.
A refreshing glass of lemonade would be welcome Garinda

Think that Heron comes to visit my lodge later, see it most days, their very timid, slightest movement and its off ... woe betide another Heron though if it tries to land on its territory .. look delicate, don't they ? Wanna'see 'em fight

Plastic that's was very funny H-R. Thought of Garinda waking up every morning and believing was real and turns out to be plastic.
fighting is bad, you shouldn't want to see fights, you naughty girl.
Old 01-07-2006, 22:18   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
What is a lodge and what is it for ?
I think originally it was a lodge for a print works at Church. It tells you the history on the website I think.

No, the Heron ain't plastic, unless it has batteries and also flies off after Trisha has finished.

Why don't Herons deliver something interesting, like Storks do? Instead of just flying off somewhere else looking out for a well stocked pond?

Old 01-07-2006, 22:23   #29
God Member

yes but what is a lodge, to me a lodge is a building on the entrance to the estate here.
Old 01-07-2006, 22:26   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
yes but what is a lodge, to me a lodge is a building on the entrance to the estate here.

An expanse of man made water, bigger than a puddle, smaller than a lake, get it ? Textile industries always had to have water available for various processes along the line, mainly when the boilers were steam driven, but bleaching needs plenty.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..