Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19   #1
Resting in peace

Thumbs down New Powers For Baliffs.

Bailiffs are to be given new powers that will enable them to break into your home. Changes in the Tribunals Courts and Enforcement Bill, mean that bailiffs will be able to break into your home to recover property against alleged debts, currently they are only allowed into property if invited in, The new legislation will mean that parking ticket offenders can be jailed for up to a year for trying to prevent them. David Harker of the Citizens Advice said,"Bailiffs have an appaling record of abusing their powers against the vulnerable."

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 12-04-2007 at 10:21.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2007, 10:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: New Powers For Baliffs.

Interesting.

I will have to read an Insurance Policy to see if Theft cover is Excluded If force or Violent entry is made by a Baliff.

Or the damaged the Cause to the Property Also.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44   #3
Resident Waffler

So they can break in and trash your home and steal your goods only if there are alleged debts? What on earth is this country coming to?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46   #4
God Member

Can I use reasonable force since they're breaking in to my home?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17   #5
Resting in peace

In future they will be able to break into your home for a host of unpaid debts, parking tickets, credit card payment, and council tax to name a few. The new law comes amid growing reports of bailiffs using heavy handed tactics. Bailiffs who aquire the details boast they can get the money using whatever means possible.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:20   #6
Riq

What if they have got the wrong house which is what happened at Uni, some woman did ran off and we kept getting letters from this baliff company, over the Xmas holidays the police had been round as we found a summons posted through the door, hand delivered. That was a fun day trying to sort that thing out.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

what happens if you have just moved home and in a house that was debt ridden before you and they break in thinking that, that person stills lives there?? i moved once and had baliffs knocking on me door for the last person, i had to prove i wasnt them!
or is it only when you are in they can do it?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

oops two posts the same...lol
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23   #9
Riq

I would think they would have to be 100% sure it was the right person.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:24   #10
God Member

So effectively they have now granted legal status to burglary. What a wonderful government we have in this country
Old 12-04-2007, 12:26   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i have never had a baliff, thank god, but seen a programme about it, and it wasnt very nice taking all you belonging that has took you years to save and snooping through everything, just to sell for peanuts to pay the debt, its just disgusting!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:28   #12
Riq

I have no problems with what debt collectors do, you get into debt, you have to pay up, it's only fair, heavy handed approaches are not on. There are 'nice' baliffs out there though, just a few who think they are some sort of law unto theirselves.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:36   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
you get into debt, you have to pay up, .
I would agree with you there, but some people lose there job or cant work anymore, so cant pay and dont know what to do so they just ignore it, and then the debt gets worse with costs added on!!
but there are some who wont pay, then i dont feel sorry for them, the ones who move to escape the debt, and theres a few i know who have done that i can tell ya!
Old 12-04-2007, 13:14   #14
I am Banned

Personally i think this matter has been looked at in the wrong way completely, this stupid country actively encourages debt, but absolves all responsiblity when they wonder why people cant pay or afford to pay up. Bailiffs are not all nice people & will do anything they can to retreive their money - with interest, this is going to have some disasterous consequences on the usual poorer & vunerable people!! I worked as a volunteer for the CAB for 12mnths & the most problematic reports were of debt & bailiffs, so agree with what they say there. The people that can afford to pay will get off scotfree with some red tape & the way courts handle fines are rediculous, they are not consistant nor enforce it & if they do its too heavy, cant win situ.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 14:55   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
what happens if you have just moved home and in a house that was debt ridden before you and they break in thinking that, that person stills lives there?? i moved once and had baliffs knocking on me door for the last person, i had to prove i wasnt them!
or is it only when you are in they can do it?

yes ive had the same problem with the baillifs looking for someone else ,they too have asked me for id,they should do their job properly and find out who actually lives at the address before calling round,and they came round again and just posted a card through the door saying that they had called(they didnt knock)lucky they had to walk passed my livingroom window and i seen them i went out and asked what they were here for and they said we knocked and were looking for some woman(not me)for a debt owed,i again had to show them id,they should have to find out who lives there first before breaking in because it wouldnt be classed as a mistake it would be classed as breaking and entering all because they cant be botherd to find out if the person they are looking for actually lives at the address
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..