Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2015, 14:59   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: New pub opening .

The Peel Park Inn next to the owd Stanley Ground is still not a bad boozer Dave, probably the nearest yeh will get to a proper pub imho.
Old 07-06-2015, 15:38   #17
Senior Member+

So from the Guinness food description I guess its going to be another one of those places that offer a cheap carvery and many, many microwave sourced meals? if so I shall attend once to evaluate the carvery
Old 10-06-2015, 00:47   #18

Is it not the Wildgoose, or is that the builder....anyway be nice to try a good steak for a change...Bye the way, where is it? Nr Asda?
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:59   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
So from the Guinness food description I guess its going to be another one of those places that offer a cheap carvery and many, many microwave sourced meals? if so I shall attend once to evaluate the carvery

Don't think they do a carvery, here's the menu from the Willows so presume it will be the same

http://www.marstons.co.uk/img/pubs/a...5ea1e572fa.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
Is it not the Wildgoose, or is that the builder....anyway be nice to try a good steak for a change...Bye the way, where is it? Nr Asda?
Wildgoose is the builder
Old 15-06-2015, 18:24   #20

Had a look at the menu,what if there is only one of you,or if 2 both want the same,seems a bit pricey for burgers and pub grub,give it till next year.McDonalds needn,t worry.

Last edited by jack preston; 15-06-2015 at 18:25. Reason: add more,
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 18:37   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
When you have evaluated it restless old son can you give your opinion on here or if that is forbidden can you PM me.
It would save me a ride round to be disappointed, which I am sure I will be..
Restless and maxthecollie like this.
Old 24-06-2015, 15:38   #22

Well people it is due to open on the 20th of July it,s called the brickworks a Marstons pub who have 1700 pubs throughout the country and employ 14,000 people they sell well known ales such as pedigree, sneck lifter, cocker hoop, banks beers, hobgoblin to name a few they also own thwaites brewing division so there will be wainwrights Marstons also own 5 breweries including Jennings.
as for the two for one food deals the cheapest meal is free we went to the willows at Blackburn on Saturday had 2 nice sized sirlion steaks chips onion rings and peas a pepper sauce and a side salad plus 2 pints one being stella and the bill came in at 23 quid which i dont call bad and the food was very good.
Also the new venture has created over 40 FULL TIME JOBS !!!!!!! as for it being boarded up in a couple of years I cant see it myself these family friendly pubs are booming as anybody has tried to get in Sycamore farm in Burnley will testify, and hopefully the brickworks will be good for the town.
Sara, AccyMad and Big Dave like this.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:18   #23
Senior Member+

I remember similar criticism of the Commercial when Weatherspoons took it over. Despite that it is still appears to be doing well.
stanley convert likes this.
Old 24-06-2015, 20:06   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
as for it being boarded up in a couple of years I cant see it myself these family friendly pubs are booming as anybody has tried to get in Sycamore farm in Burnley will testify, and hopefully the brickworks will be good for the town.
Totally agree, the group who own Sycamore Farm are expanding and clearly so are Marstons
stanley convert and wadey like this.
Old 27-06-2015, 13:32   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We stayed oer Manchester last night, n quite a few told us to go to the Brickworks, we didn't though cos China Town was our destination, But if its as good in accys as people say Manchesters is, then it'll do.
Old 27-06-2015, 14:21   #26
Full Member+

Sounds like I may have to try it out!
Old 27-06-2015, 20:14   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
they sell well known ales such as pedigree, sneck lifter, cocker hoop, banks beers, hobgoblin to name a few they also own thwaites brewing division so there will be wainwrights Marstons also own 5 breweries including Jennings.
I'm there!
Old 27-06-2015, 21:33   #28

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

*sigh* I guess there is no accounting for taste…

Plastic microwave food no matter how cheap is still plastic microwave food….you can buy this stuff much cheaper at any supermarket….

Ok they have guest beers…which once again you can buy much cheaper at any supermarket…

My original argument still holds fast here guys….these places are not pubs... they are glorified fast food restaurants… they are not locals where you can stand at the bar and while away the hours putting the world to rights!

If you want to pay over the odds for plastic food and guest beers with kids running around your legs….enjoy…

Personally when I want to wind down I’ll go to a proper pub and moan about how pathetic my life is, and when I fancy a meal out I’ll go to a proper restaurant.

And I still think it will be boarded up in a couple of years (unless they change the road layout)
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 27-06-2015, 23:04   #29
Senior Member+

Two of the best local eating houses (ex-pubs), are the Grey Mare and Duckworth Hall. I doubt that either would survive any longer as a true pub - how many of what is described as a true pub have closed over recent years. there are a great number. The Peel Park is about the best I have been in.
The whole concept of pubs as we older ones remember them has changed over the years - drink driving, no smoking and the yob culture has resulted in such a drop in custom that they were no longer financially viable. Therefore the rise of the gastro-pub, the only way that the landlord/owner can make a decent living.
stanley convert likes this.
Old 28-06-2015, 02:26   #30
God Member

Quote:
Well people it is due to open on the 20th of July it,s called the brickworks a Marstons pub who have 1700 pubs throughout the country and employ 14,000 people they sell well known ales such as pedigree, sneck lifter, cocker hoop, banks beers, hobgoblin to name a few they also own thwaites brewing division so there will be wainwrights Marstons also own 5 breweries including Jennings.
as for the two for one food deals the cheapest meal is free we went to the willows at Blackburn on Saturday had 2 nice sized sirlion steaks chips onion rings and peas a pepper sauce and a side salad plus 2 pints one being stella and the bill came in at 23 quid which i dont call bad and the food was very good.
Also the new venture has created over 40 FULL TIME JOBS !!!!!!! as for it being boarded up in a couple of years I cant see it myself these family friendly pubs are booming as anybody has tried to get in Sycamore farm in Burnley will testify, and hopefully the brickworks will be good for the town.
i hope this new one is more like sycamore farm than the willows.The willows is rank where as sycamore farm offers good quality food and plenty of it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..