Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2015, 21:45   #61

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
Guinness I think we all know your thoughts about pubs ...ale houses or whatever you want to call them and in some respects it,s a shame that there are not many of them left but to run a pub selling just ale these days would not last 2 minutes,times have a changed my friend long gone are the days where the little woman stayad at home with the brats while hubby spent his time in the local and having his Sunday dinner brought to him. Going to the pub for lunch these days is a family affair as believe it or not I think we are much more sociable creatures as family time is precious these days.
Anyway each to their own but plastic micro food seems to be very popular ....mother redcap...packed Bentley wood ....packed Game cock....packed sycamore farm...packed do I need to go on, by the way how do you microwave a sirlion steak cant find it in me recipe book anywhere.
We know from your posts that you are never likely to step over the doorstep of the Brickworks but that,s your choice but can you not be happy to see something new come to Accrington and also for the people who have managed to secure a job with a company that has been willing to spend a large amount of money transforming the site into what it is now

Anyway got to go now cos the little woman is donkey stoning the front step
Let me just put on a tin hat and twist your response…

From your nom de plume I’d guess we all know where your thoughts about football lie…

It’s a shame that most locals support other teams than the local one, times have changed my friend, long gone are the days when the little woman stayed at home with the brats while hubby put on his bob cap, scarf and grabbed his wooden rattle and watched a few local guys kicking a casey around, and woe betide her if his tea wasn’t on the table when he got home.

Going to football these days takes away from that very ‘precious family time’ that you allude to.

Anyway each to his own but plastic football seems to be very popular….Utd packed, City packed, Chelski packed, Arsenal packed..Sky tv showing premier league selling like hot cakes…grass roots football like Stanley having a hard time of it.

My point was, and still is…it is not a pub...it is a glorified McDonalds

You are correct I won’t cross the threshold of the Brickworks because I drink in pubs and eat in restaurants….I don’t begrudge job creation, albeit probably in the main a mix of part time, casual and zero hours contracts..but please don’t infer that a multi-national has altruistic motives

Oh..and if you spelt Sirlion(sic) korektly in your search enjun..

Microwave Sirloin Steak - Recipe - Cooks.com

Anyway got to go now because ‘er indoors has just left wearing a bob cap and scarf telling me I’d better have her tea on the table when she gets home because England women play more for the shirt than the England men
Old 04-07-2015, 11:28   #62
God Member

they are building one of these pubs a ten minute walk from my house . I hope to hear reviews of the pub down in sunny accy lol
Old 04-07-2015, 12:25   #63

Guinness thank you so much for your first class response and I must apologize for my mis-spelling of SIRLOIN... Obviously the new venture (lets call it that) does not interest you at all, so much so that you cannot resist coming onto this thread and bleating it,s not a pub all the time and finding nothing positive to say at all ...the Brickwoks my friend is a pub but under a different guise and just for information purposes alone there will be a drinking only area, as for the job situation quite a number of the jobs are full time positions with a company that offers holidays,sick pay a pension scheme and after 2 years a share save scheme not bad for a glorified MCD,s

anyway I look forward with trepidation to your response
oh and by the way come on you reds and no not the united scum of Manchester ....LOL
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:42   #64
Beacon of light

It might not be to your taste Guinness but it will be acceptable to many others.....myself, I see it perhaps as one step up from Mc Donald's......maybe you don't.
Maybe those families who cannot afford to go to a restaurant, will go there.....and if the finances look up then maybe they will move to the next rung of tha ladder.

Many families take their children to these establishments in order to 'test the water'.....to see how their children fare in a dining out experience....because they know that there is more leeway given to children in a pub than in a restaurant.
A bit like breaking children into theatre by taking them to a panto first....giving them a taste of what is expected of them.
But, in any case you won't need to bother about any of that because you won't be a patron.
AccyMad, cashman and Gremlin like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:55   #65
Junior Member+

I have to agree with you Margaret .....and lets face it Guinness it is Accrington we are talking about ..I just think that whatever kind of a place it is ..it is a lovely building to look at ..it will give people work and it may just bring some happiness to people ...so what is really wrong with it
beautifuldreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 20:06   #66

Looks like they have backword at Colne

Marston?s pull out of planned Colne pub - Pendle Today
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 20:55   #67
Senior Member+

I agree with you Margaret about the new pub being a stepping stone apart from one thing.
Will the parents allow the children to do as they please and then the children will think it acceptable behaviour when the eventually step up to a restaurant.
It's the parents to blame for the children's actions. Or allowing the actions which they get away with at home.
Old 04-07-2015, 21:55   #68
Beacon of light

Not ALL parents are the same.
Some will allow their little darlings to run riot and behave how they please.
Others will take their children somewhere like this so that they can experience a more grown up eating out event.
I know my daughters children both enjoy going somewhere like this because they see it as 'grown up'....They know that if they misbehave in any way that they will not get to go out to eat anywhere for a long time.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 04-07-2015, 22:02   #69

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It might not be to your taste Guinness but it will be acceptable to many others.....myself, I see it perhaps as one step up from Mc Donald's......maybe you don't.
Maybe those families who cannot afford to go to a restaurant, will go there.....and if the finances look up then maybe they will move to the next rung of tha ladder.

Many families take their children to these establishments in order to 'test the water'.....to see how their children fare in a dining out experience....because they know that there is more leeway given to children in a pub than in a restaurant.
A bit like breaking children into theatre by taking them to a panto first....giving them a taste of what is expected of them.
But, in any case you won't need to bother about any of that because you won't be a patron.
You are right….Plastic food is not to my taste, and after reading your posts over the years..neither is it yours

Your arguments about acceptability and affordability falls flat….ask any child over 6 if they want to go eat at one of these places or go for a McD, KFC or a pizza.. and by the way.. isn’t that dining out? Don’t you sit at a table and eat? Can’t you get a feel for how they would behave using a fast food restaurant specifically aimed at kids as a template?

And thinking about it..I would never drink alcohol if I were driving and had kids with me, and this place is sited where I’d need to drive, use a taxi or have a soft drink, kinda negates the reason for it to serve alcohol. Then again marked up soft drinks are the way these places operate.

Frankly when I want to wind down over a meal or a pint…the last thing I need is a whiny pre-pubescent or a stroppy teen within twenty yards of me.

Belabouring my point yet again…it’s not a pub, it’s a fast food restaurant..

I agree it brings jobs..full time for chefs, managers and apprentices, part time/zero hours for bar, cleaning and waiting on……and I agree it’s a very pretty building on a bit of waste ground since the last pretty building was knocked down.

The only reason I’m knocking this place is because you guys are calling it a pub…It ain’t!
Old 04-07-2015, 22:25   #70
Beacon of light

I don't think my argument falls flat.
Some children might prefer to go to the places you suggest.....but if they have been to one of these more adult establishments then some would choose that over KFC. Of course it is dining out.....but it is a different type of dining out......and one I would avoid even if I were ravenous.....like this Marston pub is not to your taste, KFC and Mc D's are just not my taste.

I don't eat out much these days..... But when we go to Southport we do go in Wetherspoons.
My husband likes to have a pint of something cold with condensation on the glass.
Sometimes we will have something to eat...It is acceptable because it is infrequent......and a sandwich or a breakfast is what we choose.

Yes you are labouring a point. It is by definition a pub.....it serves alcohol.
It also happens to serve food. It just isn't your kind of pub.

And if you take your children to this establishment you can choose to drive them and have non alcoholic drinks.....or you can get your good lady to drive so that you can have whatever alcoholic beverage takes your fancy. No-one to my knowledge has suggested that you should drink and drive with children on board.
You might not want to use this place, but there will be plenty that will.....it is their choice.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53   #71
Junior Member+

Agreed Margaret....And many wont have anyone to drive them to a place that is purely a pub...and as for behaviour of children that can happen anywhere on the planet ASDA Buckingham palace .....I think it is all down to the way you were raised....at least these days families can go together...in the old days dads went and spent the day and most of the family income at the good old local....now how did that effect the children ? all with respect
AccyMad likes this.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:18   #72
Junior Member+

And to be be honest I know many people although im not a fan of them myself to eat microwave meals at home .......burgers ....pies... all processed rubbish .so really what is the difference? with the greatest respect as always
Old 05-07-2015, 09:40   #73
Junior Member+

Guinness it is a pub with the greatest respect ....It has beer wines and spirits is guided by the law in all requirements .........so yes it is a pub forget the food side it has a bar and serves drinks that is a pub
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07   #74
I am Banned

Sometimes we have to adapt to survive.

Pubs, pubcos and most people recognise that.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 13:30   #75
Senior Member+

We've been in plenty of these 'eating pubs' and although some really are rubbish some have been very good meals, especially when you consider the prices.
I also hate it when kids are running around and/or making a lot of noise but then I'm a grumpy old git!
DaveinGermany and Gremlin like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..