Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 18:32   #76
Full Member+

Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
We've been in plenty of these 'eating pubs' and although some really are rubbish some have been very good meals, especially when you consider the prices.
I also hate it when kids are running around and/or making a lot of noise but then I'm a grumpy old git!
Grumpy Gits of the world unite!

Are we being grumpy though?
Our kids don't run round like screaming banshees so why should we tolerate somebody else's brats doing it?
As an aside - We were at Queen's Mill in Harle Syke and sat in the café when we were joined by at least 50 junior school kids from a school in Longton. Fearing the worst we were pleased to see that the 4 teachers kept their charges reasonably quiet, so much so that I thanked one of the staff members for not spoiling our day. I got a great response from the head mistress when I emailed the same sentiments when we returned home.

Back to the subject of pubs - we have a Wetherspoons here in Morecambe which opens at 8am but rather than the expected soaks getting their early morning fix of ale or sprits, it tends to be frequented by businessmen having breakfast following their stay at the Travelodge. If you go in, later in the day, there are kids in but the staff take no crap from any parents of kids running wild and the atmosphere is very pleasant. The choice is yours whether you sample any of their food but they do offer a selection of fine ales from the Lancaster Brewery.
It is not the sort of traditional pub in the sense of being surrounded by tab smoking dock workers in an atmosphere of thick smoke and a floor covered in spittoons and sawdust but I for one find the atmosphere to my liking.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2015, 19:08   #77
Beacon of light

If you have a preconceived idea of how this new hostelty is going to be.....and this stops you from sampling the wares, the ambience, the ales.....then that is your loss.
I have to say that sometimes it is the bad language of some of the adults that puts me off the Southport branch of Wetherspoons.
I sometimes wish we could revert to tap rooms where thes potty mouthed individuals could spout their bad language to their hearts content.....I really think that many of them do not realise they are swearing.
However since finding the upper floor, we now use this small section and it is much more pleasant to have a coffee and a breakfast barm.
I do not know if I will try this new place. I have taken Ma to the Accrington Wetherspoons when she has been to the docs for fasting bloods.....I treat her to a breakfast and she enjoys it immensely.....maybe we will give that one a try if it does breakfast.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:32   #78
Super Moderator

Amazing the amount of discussion there's been on this pub...and it hasn't even opened yet! Can't wait to go in and judge for myself!
Margaret Pilkington and wadey like this.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:36   #79
Beacon of light

That is the very best way to come to a judgement.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:41   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Amazing the amount of discussion there's been on this pub...and it hasn't even opened yet! Can't wait to go in and judge for myself!
Well pubs have always been well worth talking about.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47   #81
Beacon of light

and even more worth visiting and testing out the wares...purely for research you understand...not for pleasure! OH No sirree bob.
Old 06-07-2015, 15:02   #82
Junior Member+

I for one think it should be given a chance....and for us older folk it might be annoying when children run around and make noise....but Im sure our own children may of possibly enjoyed this too at one time...if you dont have children we all were one once.....life is too short to knock people for living their lives....There will be plenty of time for peace and quiet once we leave this planet..... respect for ever...
beautifuldreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 15:55   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldreamer67 View Post
I for one think it should be given a chance....and for us older folk it might be annoying when children run around and make noise....but Im sure our own children may of possibly enjoyed this too at one time...if you dont have children we all were one once.....life is too short to knock people for living their lives....There will be plenty of time for peace and quiet once we leave this planet..... respect for ever...
Most parents stop their children running about in pubs.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 17:36   #84
Junior Member+

yes true i meant just enjoying being children....and some parents dont stop them as they dont stop them in asda or the street or any other shop the point is everyone is knocking ppl taking the children out and its not fair ...
beautifuldreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 22:23   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Most parents stop their children running about in pubs.
Responsible parents do.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 06-07-2015, 23:34   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Grumpy Gits of the world unite!

Back to the subject of pubs - we have a Wetherspoons here in Morecambe
I had the misfortune to go in this particular Wetherspoons several years ago (I believe it's the Eric Bartholomew). The food was poor and served lukewarm. When the waiter was collecting the plates at the end of the meal, he asked how the meal was. I told him and was met with total indifference. I haven't set foot in a Wetherspoons since. They're crap.
Gremlin likes this.

Last edited by Michael1954; 06-07-2015 at 23:44.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:57   #87
Senior Member+

We went into the Commercial for lunch yesterday. One had chili burrito, one had naked burrito (no wrap as it had to be gluten free), with shaved ribeye steak and one had chicken and ribs combo. All meals were quite acceptable, in fact enjoyable, service was good and the cost was very reasonable, meals plus drinks came to around £22 - another plus point was that there were no screaming kids running around although there were a couple of young children in there.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:15   #88
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I had the misfortune to go in this particular Wetherspoons several years ago (I believe it's the Eric Bartholomew). The food was poor and served lukewarm. When the waiter was collecting the plates at the end of the meal, he asked how the meal was. I told him and was met with total indifference. I haven't set foot in a Wetherspoons since. They're crap.
I can't comment on the food there as I have never had any but the ale and the atmosphere was to my liking. I have been in several Wetherspoons pubs and each one has been different so I can't see how you can condemn all of them.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:39   #89
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
If you haven't been in one of these establishments for 'several years' then perhaps you need to give it another try before commenting....and to denounce them all as 'crap' is short sighted and more than a little unfair.
All these type of places can have off days.
I am surprised that your comments to the waiter were ignored....perhaps if you had done the right thing.....which would have been to notify the staff as soon as you received your meal(and found it to be lukewarm) you would have had an altogether different response.

I have been in the Accrington branch of Wetherspoons, the Manchester one, the one in Llandudno, the one in Eastbourne.....and invariably the food, the service and the surroundings have been acceptable.
No....it isn't fine dining....but if you want something to stop your back and your belly from slapping together, it is fine.....you just need to be selective as to the food choices and use a bit of sense.....you can hardly mess up a salad!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:51   #90

I have been in other Wetherspoons, the one in Blackburn for one, where I used to work when it was a Post Office. I went in for a nosey to see how the place had altered since i worked there. Again, the food was average, although the drinks were fine. I don't think I'll give them another go. Why should I? There are better restaurants and pubs around serving good food.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..