Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2008, 22:54   #166
God Member

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the stuff i listed are actually NOT cheaper than the supermarket, just better quality.
Got you the first time round..........I'm sure the post Andrew made can't follow the party line.............You know my views on local traders.........Support them.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2008, 00:09   #167
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Maybe she is referring to any lack of incentives that the council offers to attract businesses. Whilst it might mean a lack of money to offer rate free periods etc it does have the benefit of keeping people in work who can then pay council tax etc.
It the Council offered low rate/no rate periods then us Council Tax payers would have to make up the deficit or put up with reduced services. You said people in work pay Council Tax - doesn't the Council Tax get paid by central Government for people not in work?
Old 24-09-2008, 05:29   #168
Senior Member+

i'm sorry andrew but thats rubbish.

for all the pound stores in accrington where you can pick off the odd bargain its been proven that stores in and around the town centre aside from those belonging to big companies simply cannot buy at the prices supermarkets can.

some of the bargains i got from asda recently

jumbo pack pampers nappies £8 - boots as big as they are sell them 13
persil washing up liquid - 50p normally around the 80/90+ mark
daz powder big box £5 - normally around a tenner

as big as wilkinsons, woolies, superdrug, boots and the other companies are - they aint gonna be getting those prices. places like home and bargains etc get the items when they're close to end of line or they're matchin asda's etc prices

my brother owns an off-licence in london and he says the wholesale price in london for a case of beer sometimes is more expensive than what shoppers can buy at asda.

at the moment

asda - 16 cans of sprite for £3, graco car seat £25 normally 45 supa-noodles 5 for £1
tesco - tesco value toothbrushes - 7p 7 frikking pence. ok they're not great but brilliant for doin a spot of cleanin etc. castrol oil for 11 normally £20
morrisons - phillips energy saving light bulbs 5 for 50p

all those offers available within a 10/15mile radius.

no shop in town can without taking a hit give back some of them offers.

they wont be cheaper maybe better quality but then your paying for it. but for alot of people, alot of whom make up the accrington demographic - the low income families - these cheap deals are what get them through. not quality but quantity.
Old 24-09-2008, 06:16   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It the Council offered low rate/no rate periods then us Council Tax payers would have to make up the deficit or put up with reduced services. You said people in work pay Council Tax - doesn't the Council Tax get paid by central Government for people not in work?

Oh well, I'll go back to staying out of politics then
Old 24-09-2008, 09:43   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Tesco are building supermarkets though. Couldn't the council insist on the use of local products in the construction?
That would be a drop in the ocean yerself and would not help in the big picture, firm such as this don't look at today they have to plan months and months ahead and its with this in mind that they feel, under the current climate that they can't carry on, but as was stated it may reconsider its decision if there is an upturn in the building market, lets hope this is the case
Old 24-09-2008, 09:54   #171
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
tesco - tesco value toothbrushes - 7p 7 frikking pence.
Is this a new currency?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 14:39   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
That would be a drop in the ocean yerself
Agreed, but if HBC could insist that planning permission would only be granted to firms using local products and labour would this not help the borough? In the not too distant past we've had 2 big health centres and more than one sizeable housing estate built in Hyndburn.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 14:49   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Agreed, but if HBC could insist that planning permission would only be granted to firms using local products and labour would this not help the borough? In the not too distant past we've had 2 big health centres and more than one sizeable housing estate built in Hyndburn.
good sense in that,only downside i can see is ALL councils would have to do it, otherwise firms would just go elsewhere cos it suited em.
Old 24-09-2008, 16:29   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good sense in that,only downside i can see is ALL councils would have to do it, otherwise firms would just go elsewhere cos it suited em.
Your quite right cashy, if yerself got is wishes than Nori would only be able to sell their goods in Hydndburn which would still be no good in keeping th plant open
Old 24-09-2008, 16:50   #175
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Nori would only be able to sell their goods in Hydndburn
Not at all, because most towns don't have a brick manufacturing company. Perhaps I should have said preference will be given to companies using locally manufactured products if they are available.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 23:24   #176
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Maybe she is referring to any lack of incentives that the council offers to attract businesses.
What about changing the name of the borough?

That's bound to bring new investment to the area.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 08:58   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Good grief Rindi your a genius, I wonder why somebody else hasn't thought of that before
Old 25-09-2008, 13:27   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

That's a brilliant idea - what they should do is use the main town's name so that everyone knows where we are, then just join the rest of the towns together as a sort of 'district'.

The way to bring new investment to an area is to actively go out looking for it. There are a few factors why companies would want to base themselves here - close to motorway network, low prices, manufacturing workforce, but equally there are a number of reasons why companies would choose not to base themselves here - lack of further education (less educated staff), not so many others based here (if you build it they will come) and image!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 23:51   #179
God Member

My grandma says there is a meeting for views about Tesco on Monday. She neglected to attain any information other than this. I'm rather interested, does anyone know more?
Old 29-11-2008, 14:37   #180
God Member

No, is it about the Accy Tesco or the Ossy one do you know?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..