Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 23:27   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I know some people on here have said how good Burnley is as a shopping town. The building of Tesco's there has actually helped because people nip in for a pint of milk and use the free car park for a couple of hours while they go in to town and shop
much as it sticks in me throat to say it- BURNLEY is a much better shopping centre than whats left of our once thriving town, n i for one don't think tesco will make much differance to what remains, it didn't seem to do to the dingles, feel sorry for the few long established traders who remain, but the problem was here before tesco was ever thought of,n is noway tescos fault.there is no incentive fer any NEW established business to move into our town, n unless things change Dramatically it aint gonna happen,not being disrespectful dintymc but get a dose of reality.
Old 06-07-2008, 23:28   #92

yes i must agree with glasgow guy it will give more job,s
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 23:32   #93
God Member

Quote:
I know some people on here have said how good Burnley is as a shopping town. The building of Tesco's there has actually helped because people nip in for a pint of milk and use the free car park for a couple of hours while they go in to town and shop
And I was one of them beats both Accrington and Blackburn at the moment IMO
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Or to watch a footy match
Old 07-07-2008, 11:11   #95
God Member

When you look at Bury market, one of teh best and busiest in the country, right opposite a HUGE ASDA. so where is the proof that supermarkets kill small stalls?

People will still shop on teh market as long as teh quality and prices are reasonable. I fidn B&E's in town are often cheaper than ASDA or TESCO for lots of things. The meat on teh butchers is better, the veg fresher and far more choice of fish.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18   #96
Senior Member+

whats B&E's????

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46   #97
God Member

A stall on the market, In teh market hall, selld cleaning stuff.

Old 07-07-2008, 13:40   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
When you look at Bury market, one of teh best and busiest in the country, right opposite a HUGE ASDA. so where is the proof that supermarkets kill small stalls?

People will still shop on teh market as long as teh quality and prices are reasonable. I fidn B&E's in town are often cheaper than ASDA or TESCO for lots of things. The meat on teh butchers is better, the veg fresher and far more choice of fish.
agree i get me veg n various bits from the market fer that reason, n i always use n independent butcher, though i go up ossy fer that n its further for me, but i prefer the meat.supermarkets have a place in my life, but they aint the B all n end all.
Old 08-07-2008, 23:54   #99
Senior Member+

I am on the Planning Committee. I am in general anti-supermarket but like many, my reluctance seems to wane when I need to get a weekly shop after finishing work.

The reasons for voting for it were not obvious but were very important. Two major reasons. Firstly losing an appeal of that magnitude may have cost around £100,000. Money which could spent elsewhere. The Highways authority said following the implementation of road improvements and a SCOOT system they would not support an appeal on Highways grounds leaving the Council high and dry at appeal.

More significantly the sequential test. This site was the only 90,000 sq ft site and if it had been rejected, Tesco's would have had a good case to locate even further out of town which would have be the same problem but magnified. As it stood now a 90,000 sq ft site was suitable preventing Tesco's locating out of town. Asda is massively over trading and with one major supermarket, Tesco's would also have had a strong case on appeal for competition.

On the Highways I am sceptical like everyone else. What put me off was the critics of Whitebirk who said it was lunacy. I have found it to be an incredible engineering and traffic management feat how 500 yard tailbacks have been reduced at peak, to less than a 100 at all the junctions. THe emotional arguments with no evidence then, as now was a worry because LCC had demonstrated to me anyway that they have the ability and they were the only contributors who had been on site and actually took measurements and presented them.

Objectors stated this would bring 30,000 cars a week into the town centre. As one Councillor commented "Do you expect Councillors to turn away 30,000 cars when the town is dying?"

Both sides (Tesco's/objectors) came with little evidence. In fact I think Tesco's could see the advantages of having it turned down. The only evidence was provided by 3 independent impact studies. LCC Highways, Whyte and Young and (slips my mind this late in the evening).

They reported that ASDA was overtrading hugely. That £98m per annum was being spent in supermarkets outside Hyndburn. Several objectors said they used Burnley's Tesco when arguing that they did not leave Tesco's to shop in Burnley Town Centre. Clearly we need to attract these people back to Hyndburn. That the leakage of people from the Supermarket to also shop elsewhere ie the number of people who will use the TC from Tesco's car park will be around 3%. That's 900 cars a week.

The Arndale proposition was weak. 30,000 sq feet is available with demolition of the car park but Tesco's would refuse that as too small (though they do locate their smallest at 30,000) given the healthy monopoly ASDA have in the town. Tesco's clearly wanted a big slice of the cake, not a little one. In town, out of town, Matalan, Hyndburn Rd, Arnold Clark, anywhere... In did not help 14 months ago when Arndale said they were close to a deal with major retailers, plans were imminent for Arndale expansion (into the car park) in opposing Peel Holdings development at Whitebirk. Once Peel Holdings were turned down, Arndale plans simply disappeared. Suggestions this time that Sainsbury's were ready as part of a new development, lacking any evidence, were viewed critically for lacking substance.

Highways stated there would be an increase in traffic. They said they had measured traffic levels and it was congested for less than an hour and an improved traffic system, SCOOT et al, would see traffic levels rise but not to unmanageable levels. Tesco's, not wishing to add time to deliveries have scheduled them in for non peak times. I am concerned about articulated wagons and the restricted space at the bottom of Eagle St.

Tesco's also spent a long period haggling with Council over impact money (106 monies) and design details. Normally they face away from town centres and are cheapish build. In this case it will be a flagship design for them, facing Cannon St. They will contribute £1.3m to the Bus and rail Station. £400k will go towards TC improvements between Tesco's and the Town Hall. The car parking spaces, which are nearrer to Town then some of the Council's own spaces, will offset the loss of spaces behind Kwik Save and will be free to use for people justw ishing to shop in town. £1.3m is a substantial amount.

Tesco's also backed down on it's employment practices too. 2/3rds must come from within the Borough and there is some extra small print about having to target jobless. Normally it's a 1/3rd.

I am very concerned about the traffic, but I am not an expert. I know it is becoming increasingly likely that Blackburn Rd will be opened up under restrictions to ease the flow up Eagle St. Another factor as well as helping clear Peel St as part of improving accessibility, parking, desirability of the Market Hall.

In the end only a kamikaze pilot would have turned it down because it was unwinable (with a costly defeat in prospect). In an ideal world we should be able to say no to almost anything and not have to be held to account by people (or big business) outside of the Borough. That would be true democracy but no party has (or is currently) in favour of that.

Last edited by g jones; 09-07-2008 at 00:02.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 00:04   #100
God Member

I live on Eagle Street and can assure you there will be problems with traffic. It is horrendous now but did think that as Tesco were taking the whole site some of the traffic could maybe be rerouted and maybe have an entrance/exit round by the Globe Centre. I hope that there is some alternative way of geting traffic on and off the site!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56   #101
God Member

I agree Bernie, it would make sense for multiple entrances, hopefully these are details that aren't yet set in stone.
Personally I am and was always 'for' it as I'm one of those who currently goes out of town to shop ( I absolutely HATE the car park layout at ASDA to teh point that i don't want to shop there). I also believe that it is a chance for teh town centre to get some oomph back. Once people are going into town for whatever reason its then up to the shops and market to make it an enjoyable experience to shop there.

Graham, not sure if this is something teh council could or should get involved with but IMHO some form of 'supermarket trolley' that can be used round the whole of town would be a cracking idea. The only bad part of shopping on the market and in town is that you end up lugging half a hundredweight of veg etc round with you. If we turned the whole of the 'market town' into a true 'Supermarket' with trolley zones by the car parks etc I reckon more peole would be willing to shop at the small stores. ake them "£1" deposit ones or whatever I'd still use one.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I am very concerned about the traffic, but I am not an expert.
It is good to hear that you admit you are not a traffic expert and that you listen to those that are.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45   #103
Resident Waffler

What a brilliant idea Ian!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46   #104
Resident Waffler

Is this going to be one of those BIG Tescos with the electrical department and everything?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53   #105
God Member

yep, as I understand it its going to be like Burnleys

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..