Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2008, 11:40   #1
Senior Member+

newest chavvy toy!

a pram that has built in speakers and ipod docking station. so now they can really annoy you on the bus, in the doctors and while your shopping!!!

what is the point??

I'coo Pushchairs - Strollers from Icoo - Reviews, Advice, Best Prices

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2008, 12:13   #2
God Member

Re: newest chavvy toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
a pram that has built in speakers and ipod docking station. so now they can really annoy you on the bus, in the doctors and while your shopping!!!

what is the point??

I'coo Pushchairs - Strollers from Icoo - Reviews, Advice, Best Prices
What a load of old bunkum.

What happened to keeping the child amused in the buggy by having a conversation with them? Pointing things out along the journey etc?
It must be too much trouble for some.

The gaps between the conversation can be filled with.....nothing.

Let the child look around and observe......kids don't need to be bombarded with music/muzak all the time. One of the things I noticed when my two were babies was why does everything have to make a noise?

I struggled to buy anything for my babies from toys to potties that didn't play a tune.....and a very annoying tune at that. It's always pop goes the weasel or London Bridge is falling down.

It's enough to drive you to a nervous breakdown after a while.

Manufacturers......we want silence!
Old 23-07-2008, 12:14   #3
God Member

Poor kids
Old 23-07-2008, 12:15   #4
Senior Member+

its one of those prams that faces away from you so conversation is difficult...... i suppose its the travel alternative of sticking them in front of the tweenies lol..... it'll be built in dvd players soon!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 23-07-2008, 12:16   #5
God Member

Stupid idea but you can bet there will be plenty buying them!!!
Old 23-07-2008, 12:26   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
its one of those prams that faces away from you so conversation is difficult...... i suppose its the travel alternative of sticking them in front of the tweenies lol..... it'll be built in dvd players soon!
Conversation is easier in a pram that faces you but I should think the child can still hear you in the facing away kind......even if you do look like you're talking to yourself as you walk down the street.

I find it sad that some would rather subject their child to a constant stream of mindless noise than make the effort to talk.....I used to love chatting away to mine when they were in the pram, not that I don't like talking to them now of course.

You're probably not far off with the built in dvd players. You can already get them for cars and there was a suggestion a while back about putting them on supermarket trollies.

Again, what's wrong with involving the child in the shopping? Pointing things out, asking them to look out for the apples etc.

Much better for all concerned than staring down at a Shrek dvd on the trolley handle.
Old 23-07-2008, 12:33   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya just highlighted the difference between good parents n couldn't care less uns lilly.
Old 23-07-2008, 12:37   #8
God Member

Ah, devils advocate here, Music can very good to soothe children to sleep, classical particularly is known to help. I can see the logic behind it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 12:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Ah, devils advocate here, Music can very good to soothe children to sleep, classical particularly is known to help. I can see the logic behind it.
I'm all for a little bit of Mozart in the evening before the child goes to sleep. As you say, some find it soothing.

This is not the same as being bombarded with a tune in your ear all day.....in the car, playing with toys, in the pram, in the bath etc.
Old 23-07-2008, 12:45   #10
God Member

Most babies will settle without music if they are fed and changed. Just takes parents to spend a little quality time preparing them for bed, a nice bath and a story helps baby to relax. In fact get the televisions and noise machines out of the kids bedrooms, it is well highlighted by the experts that they aren't needed!!
Old 23-07-2008, 12:55   #11
God Member

[quote=BERNADETTE;610190 In fact get the televisions and noise machines out of the kids bedrooms, it is well highlighted by the experts that they aren't needed!![/quote]

Hear hear, Bernadette.

I've heard of children as young as 2 or 3 with televisions and dvd players in their bedrooms.

My eldest is 7 and he hasn't got anything like that in his bedroom and he won't have for quite some time yet. My kids' bedrooms are like tombs, they're so dark as I have blackout blinds and lined curtains at the windows, no electronic gadgets just peace and quiet.

I've never had any trouble with them at night. They just get into bed and go to sleep.
Old 23-07-2008, 13:08   #12
God Member

Siobhan has had a hifi since day 1.

She had a lullaby CD that she liked to go to sleep to that we played each night. In fact it worked rather too well at times and became an almost pavlovic response.

She doesn't have it now as she prefers stories and has done for about 9 months.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 13:17   #13
God Member

She would have gone to sleep without it though, it is just what she got used to.
Old 23-07-2008, 13:18   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Siobhan has had a hifi since day 1.

She had a lullaby CD that she liked to go to sleep to that we played each night. In fact it worked rather too well at times and became an almost pavlovic response.

She doesn't have it now as she prefers stories and has done for about 9 months.
classical conditioning?at least when you talk about children and cognitive development i know what your on about lol

Old 23-07-2008, 13:52   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
i am the devil just what percentage of those purchasing this garbage, can you see having Mozart fer em?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..