Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 22:47   #121
Give, give, give member

re: News of the World Mobile Phone Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Totally agree.. and at the same time accept that no political party can gain a majority at a general election in this country when they have the Sun,Times, Mail and the NotW agianst them...no chance ....alot has been said about voters using the internet to gain their political knowledge but it's all crap.. if the Sun is the only reference to politics for 20 million people in this country then it must have an influence on the electorate.

Have you signed the pledge, and stopped drinking? As you're making sense.

What happened to Class War's champion of the working man, the poor downtrodden sod who likes his news in bite sized chunks, sprinkled with nipples and bingo?

I'm phoning the Missing Persons' helpline.

I'm sure someone must want the real Mancie back.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2011, 22:51   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would dispute 20 million mancie, many of them are too thick anyway. though yer points perfectly correct about the influence of the papers.
Old 11-07-2011, 22:54   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Have you signed the pledge, and stopped drinking? As you're making sense.

What happened to Class War's champion of the working man, the poor downtrodden sod who likes his news in bite sized chunks, sprinkled with nipples and bingo?

I'm phoning the Missing Persons' helpline.

I'm sure someone must want the real Mancie back.
Well I don't suppose you will accept that just maybe I've been talking sense all the time...
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 22:56   #124
Give, give, give member

Must happen, but has anyone been undecided about how to vote, then looked at a paper, seen the headline 'We're Backing Doo-dah', and decided to follow their lead?

Old 11-07-2011, 22:58   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

think theres very few undecided come election day, wi the build up by the press fer their flavour of the day.
Old 11-07-2011, 23:09   #126
God Member

Quote:
Must happen, but has anyone been undecided about how to vote, then looked at a paper, seen the headline 'We're Backing Doo-dah', and decided to follow their lead?
I don't imagine many people turning up at a voting station not knowing who or which party they will vote for..and I'd say if they are "undecided". they would have been influenced by the media..and News International are a massive source of news in this country.. as are the BBC ..but the BBC are monitored and regulated.. unlike NI.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 23:46   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't imagine many people turning up at a voting station not knowing who or which party they will vote for..and I'd say if they are "undecided". they would have been influenced by the media..and News International are a massive source of news in this country.. as are the BBC ..but the BBC are monitored and regulated.. unlike NI.
It was only six weeks prior to the General Election in 1997, that Blair got paid for his whoring, with the headline 'The Sun Backs Blair'.

Old 11-07-2011, 23:48   #128
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well I don't suppose you will accept that just maybe I've been talking sense all the time...
No, I wouldn't go that far.

Besides, I don't drink enough for that to happen.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:28   #129
God Member

Just been reading in "The Guardian" ... sorry Jaysay, I'll get around to the Mail after a couple more "Bombers" ... that News International, and others of the media, were involved in dodgey and downright illegal actions when prying into Gordon Brown's private life: his bank accounts, his medical records, the medical records of his sick childre, etc. It looks like this whole mess is about to get a lot deeper and smellier. If I held shares in News International right now, I wouldn't be posting this; I'd be on the phone to my broker

Last edited by Eric; 12-07-2011 at 06:30. Reason: modifications
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just been reading in "The Guardian" ... sorry Jaysay, I'll get around to the Mail after a couple more "Bombers" ... that News International, and others of the media, were involved in dodgey and downright illegal actions when prying into Gordon Brown's private life: his bank accounts, his medical records, the medical records of his sick childre, etc. It looks like this whole mess is about to get a lot deeper and smellier. If I held shares in News International right now, I wouldn't be posting this; I'd be on the phone to my broker
No need to apologies Eric the Guardian is the loo paper of choice for lots of people. But its like I've always maintain a journalist is a journalist and anybody who actually thinks that this hacking scandal is only involves News International are living on cloud cuckoo land
Old 12-07-2011, 15:32   #131
God Member

Here's a scoop for Accy Web.

On saturday night, after the NOTW put the paper to bed for the last time the staff retired to the Cape bar (previously mentioned in this thread). Three pieces of News International plastic were put behind the bar to cover the bill, which ran out above three grand.

One of those cards went missing and as of 1pm today has not been found.

So no honour or moral scrupals amongst the NOTW staff then, even to the very end.

You lot are the first to read of this.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 16:26   #132
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Here's a scoop for Accy Web.

On saturday night, after the NOTW put the paper to bed for the last time the staff retired to the Cape bar (previously mentioned in this thread). Three pieces of News International plastic were put behind the bar to cover the bill, which ran out above three grand.

One of those cards went missing and as of 1pm today has not been found.

So no honour or moral scrupals amongst the NOTW staff then, even to the very end.

You lot are the first to read of this.
Nice of you to find the time to post that...from the Seychelles.

Old 12-07-2011, 16:30   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

understandable, poor owd Rupert needs the money to buy his 5 billion£ of shares back.
Old 12-07-2011, 16:36   #134
God Member

Quote:
Nice of you to find the time to post that...from the Seychelles.

Eh! I was in Church over the weekend...I'm back in Wapping now, hearing all the stories. This last one I picked up at lunchtime, overhearing the conversation by a rather panicky NI girl and one of the barstaff there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 16:50   #135
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Eh! I was in Church over the weekend...I'm back in Wapping now, hearing all the stories. This last one I picked up at lunchtime, overhearing the conversation by a rather panicky NI girl and one of the barstaff there.
Shame.

I'd pictured you joining in the fun at Rupert's free bar, whilst the hacks carried on their 'drinks all round' revenge.

Get round their quick, you might still be in time to claim a half, and some nuts.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..