Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2003, 16:45   #31
Resting in Peace

Post Re: nhs con

have you noticed the increase in spitting in the street  :-X
cant be good
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2003, 16:46   #32
God Member

It's called Insurance, Mick.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 16:49   #33
Resting in Peace

dont be stupid its called disgusting
Old 03-10-2003, 16:49   #34
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D  There may be more qualified nurses than 6 years ago, but there are less practising nurses. Many have re-trained to do other things, ie law, accounting etc. because they are brassed off with the working conditions, and have left the NHS for good.

Did you know that we have 5000 less practising midwives in this country than we did 10 years ago.  (British medical journal 2003) a study by Ashcroft et al.

This means that patients throughout the service do not get the care that we want to give ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 16:49   #35
God Member

Spitting - yep. Why do you think there has been such a big rise in TB in the last 20 years.....practically eradicated by the early 60's.

Do you remember when you could smoke on the top deck of Accy buses.....and right at the front was a sign saying "No Spitting"....was their a fine...was it 5/- ?
Old 03-10-2003, 16:54   #36
God Member

I don't dispute your figures Lettie. And I also know that half the trained nurses coming into the NHS are from overseas.

Do you think we'll end up like the States in Midwifery and Obs & Gyny? I know that 75% of all births there are now Caes....I'm told the figure here is approaching 20%...It could well be that childbirth becomes a DIY thing, as in Africa....go out , find yourself a bush and have  your baby under there!
Old 03-10-2003, 16:55   #37
Resting in Peace

Its becouse of spitting that its on the increase
and before you say you cant get it like that lettie
my mum was a ward sister in a & e thats how she got TB
she is fine now ;D
Old 03-10-2003, 17:09   #38
Filthy / Gorgeous

;D  Yep the section rate in this country is around 20 % nationally. We won't get like the states because midwifery is actually illegal in about 47 or 48 states and their services are run by obstetricians.
The royal college of midwives, obstetricians and groups such as the NCT support that women do better with one to one care in labour and have less complications and intervention. The rate for our health district is lower than the national average.
In order to provide one to one care there needs to be more midwives. Experienced midwives nationally have taken on the role of junior doctors, because there aren't enough of them either. In my job, I see women through from the start of their pregnancy, labour, and until the baby is 28 days old and they see the same midwives all the way through (in theory)  We put up drips if needed, stitch our own ladies afterwards, perform inductions of labour and do the first physical examination of the newborn. All these tasks have been taken from the doctors for no extra pay, in order to give the ladies some continuity.  The midwives in this country are pretty fierce with their territory and so are our women. Many british ex pats come home (especially) from the states to have their babies here, cos they feel they get more of a choice and better care.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 03-10-2003, 17:12   #39
Filthy / Gorgeous

[quote author=mick link=board=general;num=1065035655;start=0#36 date=10/03/03 at 17:55:47]Its becouse of spitting that its on the increase
and before you say you cant get it like that lettie
my mum was a ward sister in a & e thats how she got TB
she is fine now ;D[/quote]
 I'm sad that you think I'd dispute you there Mick. You can catch terrible nasties from spit. TB included as it is an airborne bug. Think I'm just gonna hide now [smiley=coffeecup.gif]

Old 03-10-2003, 23:29   #40

Ok excuse my ignorance but i am really really confused here.

Firstly I thought sex changes whereNOT covered by NHS, didn't Hayley (our own Julie Hessy) have to go to Holland for hers?
I didn't think tatoo removal was covered...my brother has just spent thousands getting his removed out of his own pocket. yes it was a stupid thing to do when he had it done, but he was in the Falklands and got bored and it did say Accy!!! I dread to think how much this is going to cost in the future as tatooing is such a big thing these days.

My other point is several years ago my gran was found  to have lung cancer after smoking for many years. She wasn't given any treatment because she wasn't prepared to give it up. Am I following this right, are all these services now covered?

I think, from what I could see when I was back there for a couple of years, is that many beds are taken up unneccasarily, why be admitted to hospital the day before an operation if the op isn't taking place till late in the following day? I was admitted for food poising when I was there, I was de-hydrated but was taking care of myself at home very well. They wanted to keep me in for 3 days!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:20   #41
Resting in Peace

[quote author=lettie link=board=general;num=1065035655;start=0#38 date=10/03/03 at 18:12:39]
I'm sad that you think I'd dispute you there Mick. You can catch terrible nasties from spit. TB included as it is an airborne bug. Think I'm just gonna hide now [smiley=coffeecup.gif][/quote]
Dont hide lettie love you realy ;D [smiley=foryou.gif]
most of the nurses do a great job under very difficult condicions i do know the odd one that shouldent be in nuresing though .
you can come out of your cup now lettie
Old 04-10-2003, 14:27   #42
Filthy / Gorgeous

;D  Thanks for the flowers, I'll come out of my cup now, I also know a few who I wouldn't let near my family, but at least I am lucky enough to know who they are (and it is only a few) :-*

Old 05-10-2003, 08:01   #43

if every one gave up smoking how would u fund the nhs  thats where most of the money comes from tax on drink and smoking
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:14   #44
Filthy / Gorgeous

;D  On the whole, things like tattoo removal and gender surgery are private and not NHS (yet) but they are now introducing IVF tratment on the NHS ( very expensive and not life or death treatments)  people can have plastic surgery to cover bad scarring on the NHS and I even know somebody who managed to blag her way into having a tummy tuck on the NHS citing severe psychological distress regarding body image as the reason for having it done. I know the surgeon who did it!!  People have sterilisations reversed on a regular basis on the NHS ( they are told when sterilised that it is permanent, and asked if they would want another child should their circumstances change,, ie, lose one of their children or meet a new partner)
The point being that non life threatening things such as the above can be done for free, and this takes money away from the more acute areas ie A&E, Acute Surgery and Medical services. :-*

Old 10-10-2003, 00:23   #45

In Accident and emergency people are seen in pirority of illness. Life threatening first (i.e unconcious, not breathing and heart attacks) so unless it is life threatening you will have to wait depending on what comes through the doors.  And nobody could disagree that the most serious have to be seen first as if it was your relative thats what you would want. This brentwood scheme is not known that well. As soon as it is well known  there will be queues like at your local casualty.
malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..