Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2011, 10:23   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: NHS "shake up" why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i think astronoughts go through less training to fly the space shuttle than they do for answering phones which isnt their strongest point coming to think of it
They must need more training then
Old 15-03-2011, 10:37   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did not say my company does wasteful stupid spending.

The NHS needs most its top management replacing and needs some serious shake ups lower down as well. They need to get rid of lazy useless staff and replace them with ones that want to do a good days work for what is after all a reasonable remuneration package.

I think a lot of NHS staff dont live in the real world work wise. They would have a shock if they were in industry.
Exactly Neil, but there is a lot to be desired with amounts of money paid for basic equipment too, its stupid, £400 for a bedside table, somebodies having a laugh
Old 15-03-2011, 11:02   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
£400 for a bedside table, somebodies having a laugh
Its the same in schools, visited one yesterday and had was surprised at what it cost for something they built using a local firm compared to using there usual contractors.

I wont mention money but it was massive
Old 15-03-2011, 11:19   #19
God Member

the nhs is the envy of the world why else would everybody come here and want to use it.i think we are taking it for granted which is stupid because when its gone its gone.gps shouldnt be accountable because are they not a private business with a nhs contract.plus look whats happened with the drug companies getting a foothold in the surgeries..
Old 15-03-2011, 11:34   #20
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
was surprised at what it cost for something they built using a local firm compared to using there usual contractors.
Across the board it's the PFI (Private Finance Initiative) admittedly brought in by the Tories in 1992 & heavily criticised by Labour party of the day as back door privatisation. That said, when Labour took over the reins in 1997 instead of cutting it back they readily widened its usage through their tenure leading the Country further into private ownership (supposedly despised by Labour).

And here we stand 2011, even more PFI deals being done by a Coalition Government basically selling off the Country to the highest bidder & their shareholders. The only winners in all this is big business & certainly not the public.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 12:02   #21
God Member

about half an hour ago i had a phone call from Burnley Hospital asking me if i still wanted the operation on my arm, it is almost 12 months ago since i had my pre-op, when i said to the woman on the phone that it had been almost 12 months she laughed at me and said 'sorry', they wanted me there at 6.30 am to wait for 'morning surgery', i explained to her that there was no way i could get to Burnley that early in the morning because i didn't drive, she then said that there is a hospital bus from The Royal Blackburn which starts at 6.15am (it still wouldn't get me to Burnley for 6.30)...i put the phone down on her.

is this ME wasting valuable Hospital time? for all they knew or cared my arm could have dropped off sometime in the last 12 months, where they waiting so long hoping that i didn't need the op anymore? who knows, at this moment in time i am very VERY angry that someone employed by the NHS can just laugh off the fact that it has taken them 12 months to get back to me
Old 15-03-2011, 12:02   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
I think a lot of NHS staff dont live in the real world work wise. They would have a shock if they were in industry.

Neil, I have the advantage of having worked in retail, manufacturing and in the NHS...so I feel that I am better able to judge than most who are offering opinions.
The NHS is a vast organisation, and as in all vast organisations there are issues within the management......it is too top heavy on the management side.
In many cases one bit of the organisations is doing one thing while another bit is doing something else.....the right hand often knows absolutely nothing about what the left hand is doing....and this causes difficulties and also wastes valuable resources.

When I worked in industry I thought I worked hard, but I can tell you I worked a darn sight harder in the NHS......a tin of beans will not complain if you handle it badly, and it isn't likely to lose its life either.

When you are dealing with human beings you are dealing with complex issues, identities, cultures etc etc......there are so many ways that you can get it wrong.

If I worked alongside someone who I felt was lazy and not pulling their weight then they were told and it was brought up at their next appraisal......staff are under scrutiny far more now than they ever were.

The NHS isn't perfect, but a lot of harm was done to it by politicians exerting market forces on the system, and changing the goalposts every few months.
When I went into nursing, I did it for the most basic reason.......to help people and to make a difference to their lives when they were at their most vulnerable......now there are many people who go into the job because it has been seen as a safe job, a constant pay packet....something that they can do until retirement comes along.......they question working unsociable hours, they balk at the constant pressure to continue to prove their education in the chosen field is up to date, in short, they are not there because they want to serve the patient and the wider community.

The proposed NHS reforms are madness in their current state, and if you think that the quality of care is bad now, just wait until it falls into the hands of providers from the private sector....whose main aim after all is to make a profit.

I am heartily glad that I am out of it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 12:04   #23
Beacon of light

Shaz, write a letter explaining the circumstances to the Chief Executive....from there things should move pretty fast.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:05   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Shaz, write a letter explaining the circumstances to the Chief Executive....from there things should move pretty fast.

Maybe i should have done that 12 months ago Marg
Old 15-03-2011, 12:08   #25
Beacon of light

Well, maybe you should have done, but do it now while you are still mad as hell....and 12 months without them contacting you is really pitiful........I am really surprised that the Consultant didn't know you have been overlooked.
I used to do a pre-op clinic and I would certainly have known that you had not been for your op and I would have been chasing those responsible for not getting you in for surgery....things must have become really sloppy.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-03-2011 at 12:09. Reason: just like shaz...because I can.
Old 15-03-2011, 13:05   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Maybe i should have done that 12 months ago Marg

I wonder who suggested that at the time

And who offered you a lift to Burnley

So shut up moaning
Old 15-03-2011, 15:21   #27
God Member

Well why didn't you make me do it then? Huh
Old 15-03-2011, 15:26   #28
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Well why didn't you make me do it then? Huh
Who in their right mind would dare suggest you do something against your will ? That's either incredibly daft or exceptionally naive !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 16:46   #29
God Member

Now now DiGy, i'm not that bad lol
Old 15-03-2011, 17:47   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the nhs is the envy of the world why else would everybody come here and want to use it.i think we are taking it for granted which is stupid because when its gone its gone.gps shouldnt be accountable because are they not a private business with a nhs contract.plus look whats happened with the drug companies getting a foothold in the surgeries..
Whats your opinion of the PFI which was used to build numerous hospitals, for which we will be paying, for the next 30 years or saw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..