Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 09:17   #1
Resting in Peace

Nice work if you can get it

It appears there's a little trouble in Chambers these days, Crims are finding it hard work to get barristers to defend them as they are not prepared to work for a mere £91 per hour, how can we expect the poor lambs to make ends meet on such a pittance, they must be wondeing where the next roller is coming from
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Nice work if you can get it

If the Barristers are on that or even more the Judges must be on a great deal more, You'd think under such circumstances they'd at least be courteous enough to stay awake during a trial wouldn't you?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27   #3
Resident Waffler

Ooooh I have a friend who is a barrister. No wonder he drives a big posh car.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28   #4

I used to work at a Barrister's Chambers and the senior Counsel are on mega mega money! Interesting job too!
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe View Post
I used to work at a Barrister's Chambers and the senior Counsel are on mega mega money! Interesting job too!
For that kind of cash I could be interested too
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57   #6
Senior Member+

footballers at accrington stanley get that rate, at least
do they not ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:21   #7

And that is why the competition for jobs in that area is so incredably fierce - you go to uni and then once you've got your degree you only have a 1 in 4 chance of getting into law school... which is another 10 grand then you have to spend a year shadowing - unpaid and extremely competative for places plus your self employed once you do get qualified so when you start off you've got to struggle for business. Then there is the moral issues - you could end up defending paedophiles, murderers, rapists. Help put away a big gang member and your putting you and your families life in danger etc etc etc. And plus if you not middle class or higher your never going to get in anyway.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 13:02   #8

The point made is invalid unless you can quote how much out of that goes to Admin staff, Profesional indemnity insurance, Profesional fees, travel, etc etc.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 22:30   #9
God Member

It's completely wrong to say barristers are only middle or upper class, I was working for one from a working class family the other week. He was joking about this issue saying he was once talking to a group of senior barristers who were complaining about their income being drastically decreased... from £350,000 to £250,000. Now you and I might find that a disgusting thing to complain about but in reality you live to your means, and a £100k decrease would be quite hard to cope with!

Also you don't necessarily have to work for criminals at all, so that isn't necessarily anything to worry about.

But of course you have to take into account the money you pay for chambers, accountants (unless you do your own books).

A copy of Civil Procedures costs £500. That's one book. Plus they have to drive up and down the country throughout the week.

It isn't a cheap profession to go into at all and the hard work you put into getting there deserves a large pay cheque in my opinion. I couldn't be a barrister because on my work experience I found it to be quite a lonely profession, but I guess that is what you sacrifice for that kind of money.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 17:18   #10

Well at least they get off there fat butts in the morning instead of sleeping in like the crims.No good knocking anyone who can be bothered to work no matter what they earn.
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 17:26   #11
Resting in Peace

Just seen an item on Ceefax that lawyers working for people suing the NHS are charging £600 per hour, how can that be justified
Old 12-09-2008, 17:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just seen an item on Ceefax that lawyers working for people suing the NHS are charging £600 per hour, how can that be justified
The top law firms working on behalf of the NHS are top quality. The amount of work needed to match that kind of experience and knowledge would be immense. If you want to win you are going to need lawyers that are only focusing on your case and that comes at a price.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:26   #13
JFT96

Humm, well seeing our great footballers are overpaid, it seems that Barristers are cheap compared to them.
Jet pilots earn 40K ish are they overpaid?
If you put the work in to be a Barrister or for that case any high profession, then you should be paid well for it.
Anyone can be a Barrister, Doctor, CEO, Airline Pilot, Research Scientist etc, why should we knock these people.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:37   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Humm, well seeing our great footballers are overpaid, it seems that Barristers are cheap compared to them.
Jet pilots earn 40K ish are they overpaid?
If you put the work in to be a Barrister or for that case any high profession, then you should be paid well for it.
Anyone can be a Barrister, Doctor, CEO, Airline Pilot, Research Scientist etc, why should we knock these people.
I'm not knocking these people BG just saying that £600 per hour seems OTT to me, (by the way the people charging these fees are working against the NHS not for the NHS as blazey intimated, in other wards we are paying) Everyone has the rite to earn a decent wage, bu £600 an hour
Old 13-09-2008, 12:05   #15
JFT96

Jaysay, good point £600 Ph does seem a bit much

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..