Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58   #16
God Member

Re: Nigeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I've just visited the website of the World Bank and seen the mind boggling sums Nigeria receives per anum and over a period of time, Billions of Dollars are not peanuts - here's the latest published sum = $1,915,820,000. :
Another link of interest:

Boko Haram formed amid Nigerian government corruption - World - CBC News

Never came across "kleptocracy" before. Quite an apt term. Seems to describe all governments to a certain degree.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2014, 14:23   #17
Beacon of light

The article throws up some interesting ideas.
The idea that the education of women in a westernised education system is to add to governmental corruption.....it is a different perspective I suppose.

Al Qaeda are against the education of girls. Educated girls become educated women. Women who want to be in control of their own destiny. This does not fill Al Qaeda with joy. They want their women to be uneducated, so that they are easier to control.....less of a problem. Isn't that why they shot the 15 year old girl in the head.....the girl who agitated for education for all girls in her own country?
Boko Haram are supposed to be allied to Al Qaeda, and will follow their lead.
The fact that these men have threatened to sell these girls as slaves show how little they think of women.
Islam is supposed to revere women.....not sell them as slaves.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-05-2014 at 14:25.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 17:20   #18
Full Member+

I think it depends on who's interpreting the words of the Koran rather than the original meaning. Twisting the text to control the female population seems common place. I seem to remember reading that men and women ' are as equal as two teeth on a comb' is in the Koran somewhere. Doesn't seem to be acknowledged much in a lot of Islamic countries around the world.
Old 09-05-2014, 18:00   #19
Beacon of light

A lot of these militant fundamentalist groups follow the Hadith. The Hadith is supposed to be the sayings of the prophet , but they were not written down until 300 years after his death......so who knows what corruptions happened over those three centuries.
Old 09-05-2014, 18:02   #20
Beacon of light

It would be good to hear some condemnation of this act from Muslims around the globe.
When they stay silent it is assumed(however wrong this may be) that they condone this behaviour.
Old 09-05-2014, 20:37   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It would be good to hear some condemnation of this act from Muslims around the globe.
When they stay silent it is assumed(however wrong this may be) that they condone this behaviour.
muslims have spoken out globaly on many occassions

when it suits them especially when a cartoon of mohamhead gets published or an article gets published criticising islam but no so much when a woman is about to be stoned to death or when young girls get executed or abducted

just saying like

the only islamic leader iv ever heard speaking out publicly and loudly had hooks for hands and i just wanted that one to shut teh hell up and sod off because he wasnt doing anyone any favours especially muslims

it would be nice to see a smuch effort put into condeming the actions of brutilizing women as is put into objecting to a poxy drawing is what im trying to say

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 09-05-2014 at 20:41.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 21:00   #22
Beacon of light

I agree Accyman!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:23   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm still not holding my breath ... of course, many muslims, that would be the females, are probably not allowed an opinion. I live in a province facing a general election; two of the major party leaders are women. One is openly gay. The other is a single mother. I like living in a country where that is not only possible, but is not even an issue. It's time Islam got in touch with the twenty-first century. Come to think of it, they could start with the tenth-century, and work up from there.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48   #24
Beacon of light

From my working life I know that muslim men distort the information given to muslim women.
I came into contact with many women who spoke not one word of English....and understood very few words of English.
On many occasions we had to get interpreters in to explain things to these women.
Some of the Asian women doctors would tell us that what the husbands had told their wife was far different from what we wanted to be conveyed to her.

I worked with some muslim women who were very westernised and they would confirm that the menfolk did not want their women to be corrupted by western ideas.
Yet the men could go into town and have some westernised 'fun' and this was seen to be alright.

There is an outcry in the world about this act of barbarism, yet the muslim mouths stay firmly shut. When you say nothing...you condone the act.
Eric likes this.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:20   #25
Full Member+

Every time I see news footage of the Boko Haram leader ranting in front of his barbarians and waving his gun around, it reminds me straight away of that deranged scumbag in London just after he'd murdered Lee Rigby. High as a kite and declaring to the world that this was God's will. A psychiatrist would have a field day with these nutters.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:40   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's time Islam got in touch with the twenty-first century. Come to think of it, they could start with the tenth-century, and work up from there.
They already have, but only the bits they want, telephones, Ipads, televisions, cars, washing machines, electricity, and all the other every day conveniences, especially our welfare system.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:45   #27
Senior Member+

Another "terrorist group" .... Don't you think it's a bit hypocritical the US Regime saying anyone is a terrorist group?
The US Regime itself is (probably the biggest) "terrorist group" and has been since about 1945.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03   #28
Beacon of light

So what would you call Boko Haram then?

They aren't exactly a social club.

They have committed a barbaric attack against defenceless schoolgirls(and threatened to sell them into sexual slavery - that is really compassionate isn't it?)......all because they do not want girls to be educated...because educated women think for themselves....are less likely to be subjected to the constraints applied to them by men.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 10-05-2014 at 12:07.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:27   #29
Senior Member+

Obviously their a "terrorist group" M, I'm just saying the phrase about a kettle and pot springs to mind.
Wherever these poor girls are I feel/fear for them (just thought i'd get that in).

It's doesn't help when the media find 'celebrities' or scameron and his expense fiddlers more news worthy, It's been going on for years in Nigeria their often returned beaten and pregnant

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 13:02   #30
Beacon of light

The fact that it has been going on for years is all the more reason for it to be dealt with NOW.

The fact that the media choose to print other stories is not the fault of these girls and not a reason why it should be ignored or cast aside.

We buy the papers, watch TV, choose to use the internet and other media sources. So perhaps all of us are to blame to some degree. The media sell us what we will buy..simple as. It all comes down to money

That there is not an outcry from muslims to complain about this hateful event is not a surprise....just very predictable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..