Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2010, 07:49   #76
Super Moderator

Re: No finger lickin' bacon in Accy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Public opinion vs legislation.

Discuss.
Public opinion has always been against PC madness. Unfortunately, the people who lead the party you're a member of, are determined to carry on with their social engineering, regardless.
Old 14-04-2010, 07:52   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Equality Bill won't force anyone to sell anything they don't want to.

Lots of companies, including my own family's, choose to sell vegetarian options, because there is already a sizeable market, and it makes economic sense to cater to it, but there is no legislation that forces this upon anyone, and nor will this happen if, and when, the Bill becomes law.

Vegans should be protected from discrimination, says equality watchdog - Telegraph
So how does it protect vegans from discrimination?
Old 14-04-2010, 08:00   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Public opinion has always been against PC madness. Unfortunately, the people who lead the party you're a member of, are determined to carry on with their social engineering, regardless.
"Political correctness gone mad"

In the United Kingdom, "political correctness gone mad" is a widely-used catchphrase associated with the conservative Daily Mail newspaper.[16] A literal interpretation might be that the catchphrase applies to instances where political correctness, desirable in moderation, is taken too far. In reality, however, "political correctness" is almost used pejoratively and the catchphrase is applied to stories (frequently apocryphal) seen as representing extreme forms of political correctness [17]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

That made me laugh.

I think the whole political corectness movement started out with good intentions, especially when it came to using non-offensive words for various ethnic groups. I think most of us would agree that some of the historical names used to describe people of African origin would be unacceptable today, and that's partly due to greater awareness, brought about by the politically correct movement, if it can be described as a movement.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 08:06   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So how does it protect vegans from discrimination?

'The code says the current definition of “belief” also included “a lack of belief”, giving protection to atheists.
It adds: “It is for tribunals to determine what constitutes a religion. Cults and new religious movements may also be religions.'

I suppose it would afford them the same rights if they were being bullied, or dismissed for their beliefs, and wanted to challenge their attackers, or employers, in the courts.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:07   #80
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think the whole political corectness movement started out with good intentions, especially when it came to using non-offensive words for various ethnic groups. I think most of us would agree that some of the historical names used to describe people of African origin would be unacceptable today, and that's partly due to greater awareness, brought about by the politically correct movement, if it can be described as a movement.
I'd totally agree with that, but unfortunately it seems to me that the pedulum has swung too far the other way. It doesn't seem to be confined to your classic "Daily Mail" types either. I know plenty of people who wouldn't aren't racist in the slightest who are heartly sick of it (apart from me!).
Old 14-04-2010, 08:14   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'd totally agree with that, but unfortunately it seems to me that the pedulum has swung too far the other way. It doesn't seem to be confined to your classic "Daily Mail" types either. I know plenty of people who wouldn't aren't racist in the slightest who are heartly sick of it (apart from me!).
I'm yet to see for myself signs of 'politically corectness gone mad'.

I've not seen Christmas banned.

I've not been forced to do anything against my will.

I'm sick of the Nanny State, but we've been under that for at least the last thirty years, and that's nothing to do with political correctness.

Nanny Thatcher wasn't at all p.c.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:18   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
I suppose it would afford them the same rights if they were being bullied, or dismissed for their beliefs, and wanted to challenge their attackers, or employers, in the courts.
So casual, jokey remarks about "lentil-eaters" and "treehuggers" could lead to all sorts of spurious claims? Perhaps Harriet Harman would like to outlaw humour and mickey-taking altogether (apart from the PC-approved Ben Elton type).
Old 14-04-2010, 08:20   #83
Give, give, give member

I posted years ago how there was a backlash against political correctness, especially from the groups who were targeted as needing protection.

You certainly see this in the black and gay communities, who've embraced the words that were historically used against them, and also in the great number of comedians who are totally un-p.c.

Many women have rejected politically correct names.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:23   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So casual, jokey remarks about "lentil-eaters" and "treehuggers" could lead to all sorts of spurious claims? Perhaps Harriet Harman would like to outlaw humour and mickey-taking altogether (apart from the PC-approved Ben Elton type).
Change those 'affectionate' nicknames for similarly jokey euphemisms for homomosexuals, Jews, or blacks, and I presume so.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:26   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Change those 'affectionate' nicknames for similarly jokey euphemisms for homomosexuals, Jews, or blacks, and I presume so.

I'm not saying I agree, by the way, just pointing out this legislation seems to offer legal protection to vegetarians, so they aren't discriminated against, and doesn't mean that all food companies will be forced to cater for them, as you seemed to suggest.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:27   #86
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
There was some legislation being proposed along those lines, but it was quashed after the professional stand-up Comedians held a protest against it in Trafalgar Square, according to the media though, it wasn't a success, because nobody was prepared to take them seriously.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 08:30   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Perhaps Harriet Harman would like to outlaw humour and mickey-taking altogether (apart from the PC-approved Ben Elton type).
No one banned Bernard Manning, or people like Jim Davidson, from joking about whatever they wanted.

Though most people today wouldn't find the terms they used acceptable.

People are free to make fun of whatever they like, but the vast majority of people wouldn't find the terms coon, nigger etc, funny per se, it would depend on the context.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:38   #88
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree, by the way, just pointing out this legislation seems to offer legal protection to vegetarians, so they aren't discriminated against, and doesn't mean that all food companies will be forced to cater for them, as you seemed to suggest.
I for one wouldn't force a veggie to eat meat, it means bigger portions for me.

What I dislike about them is that if they turn up at your house you bend over backwards trying to make sure the food is of an edible type to them.

You go to their house, you're offered nut cutlet, with a take it or leave it attitude.

Should you accidentally cause a fop-as by moving the food about and asking were the bacon & egg is at? You better be prepared to duck, it's the only time the hostess will really be after blood, yours!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 08:49   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
I suppose it depends where you draw the line. As you know, I have total belief in the football team I support (almost to the point of it being a religion). As you can imagine, I come in for a fair amount of teasing at work over this, but I'd never dream of being offended by it.

I'd be the last person to use any racist or homophobic terms, but to my mind, that's not the same as jokingly referring to somebody as a "treehugger". Perhaps I'm wrong and my vegan mate is secretly seething with resentment!
Old 14-04-2010, 09:03   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
"Political correctness gone mad"

In the United Kingdom, "political correctness gone mad" is a widely-used catchphrase associated with the conservative Daily Mail newspaper.[16] A literal interpretation might be that the catchphrase applies to instances where political correctness, desirable in moderation, is taken too far. In reality, however, "political correctness" is almost used pejoratively and the catchphrase is applied to stories (frequently apocryphal) seen as representing extreme forms of political correctness [17]
Political correctness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That made me laugh.

So thats why we don't see reruns of "Till Death Us Do Part" then

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..