Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Northern Parliament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Haven't you heard the phrase 'divide and rule' and the simplest way to do this is to set the people against one another.......while they are fighting themselves, they cannot be in touch with what is going on in the bigger world out there........and they(the politicians) cannot be blamed if we destroy ourselves.

We do not need fragmented government........all government has costs attached to it, officers, administrators, politicians......all want paying so it isn't economic or political sense to advocate such changes.
We need less government not more(and scattered about the place).
We need politicians who care about the place they reperesent......I mean really care....not just issuing sound bites that they think the electorate will swallow without much concrete thought.

It seems to me that the current incumbents care only for lining their own pockets and building some kind of place on the gravy train that is Brussels......and that is what is wrong. They have no feelings for the common man who is the constituent and put the cross on the ballot paper.
Whilst i fully agree wi the divide n rule, Do yeh not think we are already divided? Cameron has already ensured that, Which is why i say the jurys out wi me.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37   #17
Super Moderator

A Northern Parliament, eh?....could be quite good for an ambitious Northern-based Labour MP...as our resident Labour loyalist has already pointed out, there's more chance of Labour being in power...and smaller government means less competition for those top jobs!

As for the rest of us, a total irrelevancy...as for the quaint notion that the present-day Labour hierarchy are somehow more concerned with the plight of the common man than Cameron and his mob...words fail me.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
words fail me.
Thats a first.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats a first.
Well, I did think of using an epithet picked up from your good self, whilst standing on the Clayton End...but then I decided that I didn't want to get banned!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:32   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst i fully agree wi the divide n rule, Do yeh not think we are already divided? Cameron has already ensured that, Which is why i say the jurys out wi me.

The divisions were not started by this government Cashy(they haven't been helped by this government either), but by those who allowed free let to people who should not be in this country...those who encouraged porous borders, telling us all the while it was good for us. that it was good for the country.
Giving the incomers more relevance than those who were brought up for generations in this country. Those were the divisive practices,that and the dilution of Britishness.
It is more than a political thing, it is a sociological thing, a cultural thing.

It makes no sense to break the country into small portions, each with its own ruling government......and the costs that that would incur.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Am well aware always been divisions in my lifetime,no question, this lot have just made em that much wider.
Old 07-02-2012, 18:27   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The divisions were not started by this government Cash(they haven't been helped by this government either), but by those who allowed free let to people who should not be in this country...those who encouraged porous borders, telling us all the while it was good for us. that it was good for the country.
Giving the incomers more relevance than those who were brought up for generations in this country. Those were the divisive practices,that and the dilution of Britishness.
It is more than a political thing, it is a sociological thing, a cultural thing.

It makes no sense to break the country into small portions, each with its own ruling government......and the costs that that would incur.
Ya you could just imagine a northern assembly presided over by Sturmbannfuhrer Jones and his Storm Troopers, yu shalt not have a vote on a referendum, the plebs don't need to bother their tiny little brain ve shall make all ze decisions
Old 07-02-2012, 22:59   #23
God Member

just like the tories giving a u.s. company the contract to print tickets for the olympics
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27   #24
Beacon of light

Just what has that got to do with a Northern Parliament?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just what has that got to do with a Northern Parliament?
Shusssh Margaret, just let him go back to sleep
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55   #26
Beacon of light

I think he was asleep when he posted that.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think he was asleep when he posted that.
Think he's asleep when he posts everything
Old 08-02-2012, 21:18   #28
God Member

The European Union is out of touch with the North, South, East and West. Graham should really focus his efforts on getting us a referendum on our membership of the EU. If he's committed to more localised decision making then bringing back powers from Brussels is a good start.
Old 08-02-2012, 21:28   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The European Union is out of touch with the North, South, East and West. Graham should really focus his efforts on getting us a referendum on our membership of the EU. If he's committed to more localised decision making then bringing back powers from Brussels is a good start.
Quite right, he should, but Graham's party aren't in power. Perhaps those who ARE in power could focus their efforts on giving us an EU referendum?
Old 08-02-2012, 21:28   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well your lots in power, They "CAN" do it, but they won't.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..