Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MoreJoe
  • 2 Post By monkey hanger
  • 2 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2021, 02:12   #1

Nostalgic Cruises Along The Cut

By odd chance I stumbled upon some internet videos of people who cruise Britain's canal ways on Narrow Boats converted into part time and full time living quarters.
After I watched one or two I went looking for more especially if they included the Leeds & Liverpool canal. The videos are easy to find and not too bad to watch if you can put up with the constant banging of an old two cylinder diesel etc.
Having watched several of these videos I saw an interesting oft repeated opinion that one should never tie up and moore for the night in Blackburn, Accrington or Burnley.

Some people referred to the three towns as "The Wild West" or "Injun Country". Filled with disaffected youth?

It looked peaceful enough to me but several moderators and commentators said that things are not safe after dark. They point out many nice and scenic places to moore while also pointing out that no boats at all are stopping there since "The Word is Out".
Have things along the cut come to such a state? It seems the Narrow Boat world thinks so.
-Joe
taddy likes this.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2021, 11:38   #2

Re: Nostalgic Cruises Along The Cut

The Commentators are correct Joe, where the Canal runs through the towns mentioned (and others),Youths with Air Rifles are decimating the local wildlife; Swans/Ducks Moorhens etc are found regularly by people walking their dogs along the towpath and very little is being done to stop it.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 12:15   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

taddy is correct we used to love canal walking aint done it for a few years now,
Old 27-01-2021, 16:04   #4
Full Member+

It ain't all shooters killing wildlife I have pulled a few birds out with fishing line wrapped round them.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 20:35   #5

The Narrow Boat community were not really warning about the mindless slaughter of wild life along the canal.
What they were discussing was the number of incidents of assault, robbery, vandalism and burglary that have been reported along the Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley stretch of the Leeds & Liverpool. If the stories are true it is not safe to park overnight anywhere in that section.
-Joe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
The Commentators are correct Joe, where the Canal runs through the towns mentioned (and others),Youths with Air Rifles are decimating the local wildlife; Swans/Ducks Moorhens etc are found regularly by people walking their dogs along the towpath and very little is being done to stop it.
waste of time reporting the matter even if you have photographic evidence. some no mark scum from a well known local druggie family shot a heron on the side of the river next to me a few years back. a woman had it all on camera and she is still waiting for the police to come and check it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:30   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
taddy is correct we used to love canal walking aint done it for a few years now,
stopped doing that a few years ago once they made canal banks cycle tracks. dogs, walkers and cyclists just do not mix. the latter will only stop in an emergency and slowing down is frowned on. if i drove my car like some use the tow paths i,d have been banned years ago.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 28-01-2021, 16:10   #8

[QUOTE=ferret man;1249619]It ain't all shooters killing wildlife I have pulled a few birds out with fishing line wrapped round them.

Yes, I have done the same.
Old 28-01-2021, 16:27   #9

[QUOTE=MoreJoe;1249623]The Narrow Boat community were not really warning about the mindless slaughter of wild life along the canal.
What they were discussing was the number of incidents of assault, robbery, vandalism and burglary that have been reported along the Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley stretch of the Leeds & Liverpool. If the stories are true it is not safe to park overnight anywhere in that section.

The number of Assaults, Robbery, etc, that you memtion Joe; are increasing nationwide, not just along our once tranquil waterways. Our so called "Law enforcement Officers", now seem more bothered about catching easier prey, IE
As in Derbyshire where they stopped and fined two females £200 each for going a walk during the Covid longdown whilst carrying a cup of coffee each; They classed this is having a picnic. You really could not make it up.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 29-01-2021, 04:54   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
As in Derbyshire where they stopped and fined two females £200 each for going a walk during the Covid longdown whilst carrying a cup of coffee each; They classed this is having a picnic. You really could not make it up.

I think Derbyshire plod have got form for this sort of patheticness, didn't they use drones to "nick" walkers on the hills?

Used to know a lad from Derby & he maintained that the folk from Derby were "Proper mental like!".
Old 29-01-2021, 08:27   #11

Yes you are right about the boys and girls dressed in Blue Serge suits using drones to spy on walkers Dave.
Old 29-01-2021, 09:21   #12
God Member

Quote:
Yes you are right about the boys and girls dressed in Blue Serge suits using drones to spy on walkers Dave.
think every police force and i mean force not sodding service, seem to have all their own priorities that has seemed to got worse with this police commisioner role. north yorkshire being quite a rural force have a terrible record on rural crime but are red hot on any one speeding in their county. one day a couple of years back i passed 3 vans and one copper stood with cameras from just outside skipton to the border with cleveland.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..