Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01   #1
Resting in peace

Not a level plyaying field, Northern Rock.

Northern Rock
Figures from the Bank of England show that it has lent Northern Rock almost £23 billion pounds in emergency funding since the global credit crunch. The figure equates to about £730 for every UK taxpayer. Is it now time to nationalise the bank or just put it out of its misery? Considering it is illegal to 'prop' these secondary banks up for any length of time. The fact that Northern Rock is only paying 1% over average base rate this is making it an unfair playing field for other mortgage lenders, who have to raise funds through the sale of shares or borrowing of other sources at a higher rate of interest, Therefore making the shares of other mortgage lenders less attractive
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2007, 18:00   #2
God Member

Re: Not a level plyaying field, Northern Rock.

If you recall at the time of the run on the Northern Rock, financial shares were hit across the board. At the time, the next largest loser in share value to NR was the Alliance and Leicester. Now, I have not looked at their balance sheet but I have noticed their advertisements over the last few days where they are offering a whopping 12% on deposits over one year. This is 6% over LIBOR and Base and appears to be a full 4% over 'owt the competition is giving.

Well, if something appears to be too good to be true, then it probably is. Some of you may well remember the BCCI scandal of the early '90s, when the Bank of England shut down a pretty dodgy outfit. Their rate differential over the market was only 2%, if I recall, so we may well see something interesting over the next few weeks.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 18:07   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
they are offering a whopping 12% on deposits over one year.
You can borrow money for less than 12%. I wonder how many people will take out a loan, whack it in there and pay off the load next year with a little profit as well?
Old 02-11-2007, 18:27   #4
Resting in peace

Each British taxpayer has essentially had to stump up 730 pounds a head- through Bank of England loans - to keep this business going. On top ofthat, the treasury has also indemnified a further 20 billion pounds ofdeposits. The burden of responsibility this places on the chancellor ishuge. Is it a price worth paying if it saves the system from collapse?For how long can it realistically continue? What are the alternativesfor the Bank of England and the Chancellor? They did nothing for the hamper people last year one rule for one another for the haves. What if at the end of the day it goes belly up, what then, they can't keep chucking money at it if people won't invest in it.
Old 02-11-2007, 18:33   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Each British taxpayer has essentially had to stump up 730 pounds a head
I haven't had my bill for it yet. I thought the loan would be paid back so won't cost anyone anything.
Old 02-11-2007, 18:47   #6
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I haven't had my bill for it yet. I thought the loan would be paid back so won't cost anyone anything.
What could the money be earning now? or doing instead of getting peanuts interest if all goes well, and there is no guarantee of that happening. INMO the directors who got this company into this mess should be jailed, there as bad as the Bank of Credit and Commerce, no government help here? Why?
Old 02-11-2007, 19:00   #7

The savings account from Alliance and Leicester paying 12% is only available to anyone who has a Premier Current Account with them ( which is funded with at least £500 permonth). Depositsd can only be paid into the 12% savings account, by transferring a regular monthly amount of between £10.00 and £250 each month for 12 months. the rate is only guarenteed for 12 months.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 19:06   #8
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The savings account from Alliance and Leicester paying 12% is only available to anyone who has a Premier Current Account with them ( which is funded with at least £500 permonth). Depositsd can only be paid into the 12% savings account, by transferring a regular monthly amount of between £10.00 and £250 each month for 12 months. the rate is only guarenteed for 12 months.
What is the monthly fee of £10.00 all about surely not the cost or 'servicing' the account?
Old 02-11-2007, 19:16   #9

No the £10.00 is the minimum monthly deosit into the high rate savings account. From reading the A&L website it appears that it is sales technique for attracting new customers to open a current account with them.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 21:34   #10
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
No the £10.00 is the minimum monthly deosit into the high rate savings account. From reading the A&L website it appears that it is sales technique for attracting new customers to open a current account with them.
I presonally do not like 'short' investments 12 months is only a short time how are the A&L going to use the money they cant really lend it 'long' unless they are seeing how much they can attract and then extend the period. All very dodgy if you ask me.
Old 02-11-2007, 22:14   #11
God Member

all banks are dodgy legalized extortion probably something in the small print banks dont give away money unless they get a big return if anything goes wrong

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..