Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 23:43   #16

Re: Notes from today

London is tame compared to NY.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2007, 00:26   #17
God Member

Cor Blimey entwisi you could moan for England!..who would want to smile at a miserable bloke like you anyway?...you remind me of a time when ,on a very crowded tube train a nicely suited up exec type man shouted out "they should not be allowed" when a young women with a pushchair managed to squeeze into the carriage. Stay in Lancs, you obviously can't handle the heat my son!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:26   #18
Yank in King Art's Court!

Sorry for teh bad time you had Ian. That's one of teh big reasons I'm trying to get a flight over where I don't need to leave Heathrow. (Yeah, Heathrow certainly aint no picnic either, too many bloody foreigners!) (LOL).

I hope to hop from one Britsih Airway flight to one right up to Manchester.

Keep Smiling Mate!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50   #19
Resting in peace

Go on the train next time, link's to tube, flying to the 'smoke' is a pain in the axxe. do not go to N/Y,London is easy by comparison, nice and compact. This old chap want's to know what Ipod is.(is) it contageous)
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 13:01   #20

Been to London twice, well 3 times third time was an accident (missed turn-off and ended up driving through).............hated every minute, haven't been back since.
Old 10-11-2007, 13:42   #21
God Member

I have only been twice in my lifetime.
I think the people live there for higher wages but all that is used up by high accommodation costs. I suppose the access to more quality cultural venues is also an attraction, but Manchester is quite good for that too.
So I conclude that they continue to live there because they don't know how good it is up here.
For goodness sake - I hope they don't start moving north en masse

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 14:46   #22
I am Band

Question Re: Notes from today

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Err,, Thanks but no thanks, I'd move to Yorkshire first!
Steady on there, Old bean. Dont be too hasty!
Why would you ever want to go and live in the Third World?

Perhaps Mr Tealeaf would care to enlighten us and give a balanced view of life in the Smoke.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 10-11-2007 at 14:49.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 15:03   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

lived in south london for a few months (late 60s), been down loads of times, last year, being the most recent, seems to me like nowt has changed.
Old 10-11-2007, 15:10   #24
Give, give, give member

I lived there for sixteen years, all throughout my twenties and thirties, and it was fantastic.

Well, fantastic once you get used the fact that you have to switch on your auto-pilot, if you don't want to go stark raving mad.

The nightlife is amazing. If you want to go clubbing on a Saturday afternoon, and via different clubs, not come home until Monday morning you can do. Happy days.

I was talking to Lettie and Sparks this week, whilst sipping a glass of Merlot in the Octagon Theatre bar, about the fact that we have a much better arts scene in the north west, than London does. Besides the Battersea Arts Centre, the Royal Court, and the Round House, theatre in London is pretty much about getting tourist bums on seats. The theatre we have an hours drive from Hyndburn, is much more challenging.

I'll never regret living there. I loved my job, had good friends, made a packet by buying my flat at the very bottom of the slump, and had some wild old times, and did some amazing things. Though I'm glad I moved back when I did. London wouldn't be much fun when you're old and frail. I've seen elderly people mugged and attacked, as well as pushed from pillar to post on the tube. I worry about old Teabag, now he's getting on.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

You're wrong Doctor Johnson. Life outside of London is pretty damn good. It's just that we're just keeping it quiet, so we don't get too many ignorant gits, with flat Thames Estuary vowels, moving up here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 19:09   #25
God Member

Ianto.W Would have gone on teh train but for 2 main reason.

To get to my 9:30 meeting meant I had to drive to Crewe in order to get a train that got me there in time

The plane was £108 return, teh train was £267.....

Whilst I wasn't paying I think its a total rip off

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 19:35   #26
God Member

Seems like every country has its London ... we call ours Toronto (pronounced "Tronna" or shortened to TO). Kingston is ideally located: halfway between TO and Montreal, and only 170 klicks from Ottawa (Oddawa). I go to TO a few times every year just to remind myself how good it is in the boonies ... not quite buccolic, but at least we see the odd deer downtown on quiet summer nights.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..