Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2010, 19:14   #1
Senior Member+

Notorious Crimes in the Accrington Hyndburn Area.

Recall any crimes committed in the area? Where were you? I recall the day this occured, I was at school down the road from where it happened and it was all sealed off. A terrible day...
'Black Panther' who killed Baxenden man 'weeks from death' (From Lancashire Telegraph)

"Victim Derek Astin was the popular sub-postmaster of Baxenden Post Office on Manchester Road, living with his wife Marion, then 41, daughter Susan and son Stephen, 10, when he was killed on 6 September 1974, Susan woke at 4am.
Neilson, masked and dressed in black, had broken into the family home and Mr Astin was killed as he tried to protect his wife and children.
The family still live in Baxenden."
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2010, 19:15   #2
God Member

Re: Notorious Crimes in the Accrington Hynburn Area.

I thought this was another thread about the leader of the council
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 19:23   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Notorious Crimes in the Accrington Hyndburn Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Recall any crimes committed in the area? Where were you? I recall the day this occured, I was at school down the road from where it happened and it was all sealed off. A terrible day...
'Black Panther' who killed Baxenden man 'weeks from death' (From Lancashire Telegraph)

"Victim Derek Astin was the popular sub-postmaster of Baxenden Post Office on Manchester Road, living with his wife Marion, then 41, daughter Susan and son Stephen, 10, when he was killed on 6 September 1974, Susan woke at 4am.
Neilson, masked and dressed in black, had broken into the family home and Mr Astin was killed as he tried to protect his wife and children.
The family still live in Baxenden."
I was working for Arnold Riley's Bar Fitters, behind the Victoria pub on Many Rd at the time, and was also a regular in the Hargreaves Arms where all the CID did their drinking. I know it was mayhem on that morning I was stopped three times going to and from the workshop on that morning, I've never seen so many police as there was that morning they were like ants
Old 24-11-2010, 19:46   #4
Full Member+

My next door neighbour Steve (steve4qec) has written several books on local crimes - mostly murders (Murders are a big interest of his) a bit disconcerting him being just next door!!!! I'll dig out my copy and see if there's anything of interest.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 19:59   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was working for Arnold Riley's Bar Fitters, behind the Victoria pub on Many Rd at the time, and was also a regular in the Hargreaves Arms where all the CID did their drinking. I know it was mayhem on that morning I was stopped three times going to and from the workshop on that morning, I've never seen so many police as there was that morning they were like ants
Did he do a kidnapping before or after he was at Baxenden? Did he kidnap a girl and keep her in a man hole on the moors or something?
Old 24-11-2010, 20:12   #6
God Member

Quote:
Did he do a kidnapping before or after he was at Baxenden? Did he kidnap a girl and keep her in a man hole on the moors or something?
The answer here -
Donald Neilson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 21:55   #7

He had killed the postmaster at Harrogate before the Baxenden killing
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 22:40   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I thought this was another thread about the leader of the council
No. From what I have read on here, that would be "Notorious Criminals"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 23:40   #9
God Member

I would have thought that the most notorious crime around Accy was one that occured only about 4 yyears ago. The Coroner's verdict was murder; a man killed his wife and three daughters on a street just off Blackburn Rd.

Other than that, I suggest you look at some of the 16/17C stuff; there's alot there which would make a great read should someone take time to piece the stories togeather.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 10:19   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya kestrelx he kidnapped heiress Lesley Whittle, in he Bridgnorth area of the midlands, she was found dead sometime later down a man hole

Last edited by jaysay; 25-11-2010 at 10:21.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 10:25   #11
Resting in Peace

I can remember a murder in Great Harwood in the late sixties, think it was a woman who had a corner shop, don't think they ever caught any one for that, I remember there were extensive door to door police investigations in Ossy at the time as it was thought he had taken a bus out of Harwood bound for Ossy
Old 25-11-2010, 10:32   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember a murder in Great Harwood in the late sixties, think it was a woman who had a corner shop, don't think they ever caught any one for that, I remember there were extensive door to door police investigations in Ossy at the time as it was thought he had taken a bus out of Harwood bound for Ossy
i remember that well, a guy i knew found her, n a month later serious crime squad from manchester arrested me mate, after n anonymous tip off, was about 1 month later, n they asked him were he was on that sat, had no idea as we were just teenagers enjoying life, he was in cells a couple of days, crapping himself.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:25   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i remember that well, a guy i knew found her, n a month later serious crime squad from manchester arrested me mate, after n anonymous tip off, was about 1 month later, n they asked him were he was on that sat, had no idea as we were just teenagers enjoying life, he was in cells a couple of days, crapping himself.
I take it he was released? Anyone remember an incident in which a cafe was burned down in Accy for insurance and someone was sleeping inside and they died from the fire?
Old 25-11-2010, 11:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
I take it he was released? Anyone remember an incident in which a cafe was burned down in Accy for insurance and someone was sleeping inside and they died from the fire?
I recall that a man who was setting fire to his premises (in Abbey St I think) accidentally ignited himself and died. Thats what happens when you ignite petrol whilst you are standing in the fumes from it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 11:37   #15
God Member

Our evil husbands - Manchester Evening News

the police said that despite the victims blood been found in the kitchen there was no evidence of the body parts been served up as food.

yep because it had probably been served up as chicken in a kebab or somat and teh evidence eaten

i think it was the takeaway accross the road from the newsagents

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..