Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2021, 00:29   #16

Re: Nuisance Calls

Last week, in the space of 24 hours, I received three calls telling me that I had bought goods to the value of $345 from Amazon that I needed to pay for (I have? - I don’t think so), then later on that $600 plus was needed to be paid to some firm I had never heard of to pay for goods I had supposedly purchased – and then apparently (I must have been going shopping crazy) I had bought from another on-line business whose name escapes me. What annoyed me was that these calls were automated so the scammers didn’t even have the courtesy of using real people and I couldn’t use my ‘nice’ technique on them – so I just said ‘****** off’ and hung up.

Thankfully I still have at least a few of my faculties left (though some people might question this) but what about the people who maybe aren’t quite as bright as they once were, or have been caught at a very vulnerable time. Scanners are rotten scumbags.

My phone is registered as a ’do not call’ number regarding nuisance calls but this is a waste of time as apparently it doesn’t work with overseas calls.

Still it was better than the phone message a friend got the other day – advising her as to which number to ring to avoid being arrested

Last edited by dotti34; 01-03-2021 at 00:31.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2021, 09:41   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

Still it was better than the phone message a friend got the other day – advising her as to which number to ring to avoid being arrested
well in my tele watching world that number is Whitehall 1212.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 00:12   #18

I checked my phone when I woke up this morning and oops! I had a missed call at 7 a.m. I had? Hadn’t heard anything. Well what do you know – it was from the Congo! As I do still have a few of those brain cells left of course I deleted it.

Being the curious type I then checked on the Internet and sure enough this is a scam that has been around for ages now, originating in Japan. It is called the ‘Wangiri’ scam, which is Japanese for ‘one ring and cut’. Apparently they only let the phone ring once which then shows up as a ‘missed call’ and they assume a person will return the call. This is a premium rate number, they keep you on the line as long as they possibly can, and there’s a hefty amount added to your phone bill. They pretend they are a mobile network so then your provider sends money on to them from the call you make. Don’t ask – I’m only repeating what I have found out, have no idea how this works. All I know is that they are not getting any of my money and I’m posting this, in case you don’t know about the scam, so they won’t get any of yours, not that I would expect any of you to fall for it - but you just never know.
Old 31-05-2021, 06:28   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i dont only delete dotti i BLOCK the NUMBER also if i do not know who it is.
Old 31-05-2021, 08:25   #20
God Member

we only answer numbers we know. what a world we are living in when you have to resort to this type of stuff. even my lad and his partner do likewise. their two teenage sons cannot get their heads round that attitude of allowing calls to be missed and deleting texts unread.
Old 31-05-2021, 09:39   #21

That’s ok re blocking numbers or ignoring unknown ones, but what about if you get a call from a number that you don't recognise but could be from a legitimate source. Example – when I was waiting to go into hospital I got a number of calls from unknown numbers – but they were from the private phones of medical people who needed to speak to me. Just as well that I answered them. I think the main thing is to always be as alert as you can be. It’s a pity that this is how it is but……
Old 31-05-2021, 09:49   #22
God Member

if its important they,ll leave you a message and then ring em back. the scammers never leave a message but try to wear you down by constant calls. might be just me but i feel just answering them is a give away if its true or not.
cashman likes this.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:16   #23

Whilst on Accy Web this morning the phone rang and a sweet talking ladies voice thanked me for ordering a (something) from Amazon as I am getting really upset, (p----- o--) with these scam calls I answered, "I am sorry but this call is more than a little inconvenient at the moment as I am sat on the toilet, please leave your name and number so that I can write it on my toilet paper before I wipe my A--- with it. Thank You"

Not Nice I Know But Neccessary.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:32   #24
God Member

well they called you not the other way round. anything is fair game for timewasters and scammers.
Old 12-06-2021, 14:36   #25

I just waste their time.

When they ask if a named person is there, I say "hang on, I'll just get them" and then put the Phone down on my Desk and carry on doing what I was doing.

Sometimes I'll pick up and ask "are you still there? He's coming. He's just wrestling a Hedgehog" and so the same wait thing again.

They're not paying any attention or rarely still there. It doesn't matter what rubbish I speak.
monkey hanger likes this.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:43   #26
God Member

got to revive this thread. its not nuisance phone calls thats bothering me its all the nuisance emails i have had to delete every single day without opening them. is there an easy way to stop these. anything too techy will be beyond me so i,ll have to live with another daily task.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i get loads of them daily mate i just delete without opening em its no big deal to me.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:46   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
got to revive this thread. its not nuisance phone calls thats bothering me its all the nuisance emails i have had to delete every single day without opening them. is there an easy way to stop these. anything too techy will be beyond me so i,ll have to live with another daily task.
Depends what you use to receive e-mails,

I use GMail this is how you do it with them:-

Right click on e-mail you want to block.

This will highlight it.

Look just under the search mail box you will see an exclamation mark surrounded by grey.

Roll your cursor over it and it will say, REPORT SPAM

left click it.

Another box will appear, click on, report spam & unsubscribe

A message will appear saying it's blocked or unsubscribed and in case you picked the wrong e-mail a box marked undo.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:28   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just tried nothing came up only delete?

Last edited by cashman; 04-07-2021 at 11:37.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:41   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just tried nothing came up only delete?
Ah yes, the memories of many a frustrating hour for either Mick or myself trying to get your P.C. and internet back up and running.

Just try again, slowly then get back to me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..