Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2021, 23:27   #1
Full Member+

Nuisance Calls

I know that a few years ago there was a thread about nuisance calls which brought in a lot of comments. Anyway I thought I would start one again about this as I want to share my latest tactic, and think it would be interesting to hear what others say or do when they get one of these calls. I used to get all uptight and annoyed but now I do this. I wait until they tell me what they are ringing about and then I say in a very pleasant voice ‘thank you so much for calling me and it is very kind of you to be concerned but I really am ok. Have a lovely day’.

When I hang up, instead of feeling grumpy I feel relaxed and have to smile as I can picture them being speechless for once. I bet they never get an answer like that
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2021, 09:29   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Nuisance Calls

i just dont answer if i dont know the number dotti if its my mobile then i block the number, only let local calls through.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-02-2021, 11:33   #3
Senior Member+

yes i follow that as well. if i do not know anyone with a certain area number then just let it ring. same with letters i just put Not at This Address on em and put em back in the post box. do not know what happens to them, could not care less, but hopefully they have to pay the return postage at the other end.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:40   #4
Senior Member+

I just hang up if I think the call is a bit dodgy, then dial 1572, then press 1 and that number is on the blocked list.
Old Today, 07:25   #5
God Member

My mum had a particularly nasty call the other day, claiming to be from HMRC & saying if she didn't call a certain number to stop a warrant being issued bailiffs would be called in to re-possess her house!!
She rang me immediately afterwards in a dreadful state, she realised it was a scam & thankfully didn't give them any of the financial details they were demanding but she was still left frightened & very shaken by the call. My stepdad passed away only a few weeks ago & she is obviously feeling pretty vulnerable at the moment- i feel these scum must be trolling death notices & ;picking out people in similar circumstances as they knew both her & her late husband's names. I know there's probably no hope of catching these despicable people but we reported it to the police & it was passed to their action fraud department so if anyone else gets such a call, please report it - you never know, if a lot of people do, then something might be done to stop these vermin
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

« something wrong. | - »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..