Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2015, 15:00   #16
Full Member+

Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

I often wonder what happened to that awfully nice Nigerian gentleman, I gave my bank details to. He never did call back and he must have forgotten to transfer his Uncle's money to me. Every time I get a call from someone I don't know, I ask them if they know Mr. Robaboboffim but non of them seem to know him.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2015, 15:01   #17
Senior Member+

I got all the money.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 15:40   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I got all the money.
Lend us a grand.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:15   #19
Senior Member+

It's bank of Monopoly
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 16:17   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
your friends are the biggest culprits for passing you number to these telemarketers

everytime they install a free app or put facebook onto their phone they sell every number in their contact list when they click i agree

nothing is free
I haven't got any friends Accyman as I've mentioned before, when I get invited onto Facebook part of my reply includes "I've spent 50 odd years getting rid of my friends and if you think I am letting a sad B like you back into my life you can.........."
I've left the swearing out the mods have banned me more than once for that
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:41   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I haven't got any friends Accyman as I've mentioned before,
All together---Ahhhhhh!

Never mind, everyone on Accyweb is your friend!

Let us all have your number and we'll make sure plenty of those caring people who worry about your accident/investment/bank card/ hacked computer call you.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:54   #22
Senior Member+

unplugging the phone works for me

I use my mobile for most things anyway
Old 26-01-2015, 20:19   #23
Beacon of light

Yes, unplugging the phone might work, but it is not really practical when you have elderly relatives who may need you.
I do not get any calls to my mobile...it is mostly switched off until I want to use it.
I do not give out my mobile number to commercial businesses and I am not on facebook.

It is only recently I realised that the Council(from the Electoral Roll) can sell your details on to businesses.......I have now ticked a box that prevents them from doing this...but I guess it will take some time to have an effect.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 22:17   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, unplugging the phone might work, but it is not really practical when you have elderly relatives who may need you.
all relatives that may need me have my mobile number. Don't really use landline... its just part of the package
Old 26-01-2015, 23:14   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
all relatives that may need me have my mobile number. Don't really use landline... its just part of the package
thats ok for landline but what about your mobile that gets passed on to the telemarketers the same way your landline does

granted i dont get as many on my mobile but they are creeping up in numbers

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 06:45   #26
Senior Member+

I used to get lots of marketing texts, on O2 if you forward them to 7726 ("spam" using the letters on the keypad) O2 block them for you. Haven`t had any in ages now.
cashman likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:09   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thats ok for landline but what about your mobile that gets passed on to the telemarketers the same way your landline does

granted i dont get as many on my mobile but they are creeping up in numbers
It is all linked to your phone habits.
I get maybe 2 a year on my vodaphone mobile but prior to me investing in the blocking gizmos 10 or so a week.
Update to that, none this week so far
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 11:22   #28
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Ma knows that my mobile lies inert at the bottom of my bag so it would be no earthly use trying to contact me on that....she might as well use a loud hailer.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:28   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ma knows that my mobile lies inert at the bottom of my bag so it would be no earthly use trying to contact me on that....she might as well use a loud hailer.
What does she do if she has an emergency and you are out and can't answer your landline
Old 27-01-2015, 14:10   #30
Beacon of light

Her phone has an emergency call button on it and it dials a succession of family members until someone picks up the call...she also has a lifeline device.
She knows not to ring my mobile number as it isn't switched on. Although when we had to vacate the house to have some repairs done I did have a mobile phone on all the time......but in Foulridge where we were holed up the signal was non existent....so it is a good job she didn't rely on it.
I do not like mobile phones....and mine is purely for my convenience. I use it very infrequently. I don't feel the need to be permanently connected to the media world.
My phone doesn't take pictures, it doesn't connect to the internet...it is just a phone.
Neil, it is a generational thing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..