Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 20:22   #1
Junior Member+

Oak House Dentist

Hello Everybody

Just through I would let every one know about my dental hell.

I am with the NHS dentist in blackburn, central dental practise( near morrisons) I rang them on the monday morning at 9am to make an appointment, as I was up all night with the worst tooth ache EVER!

We have no oppointments until tomorrow( to many people need a scale and polish)!!!!!!!!!! Got in the next day at 3 in the afternoon.

OAK house rang them the next day at 7.30pm, what a breath of fresh air, come down straight away, we will look at you to night.
waitting 20 minutes, I went in and out it came!!!! £16.50 and the pain was gone!!!!!!!!!!
If you need a dentist fast and cheap and the cleanest, nicest place you can find around here, then go there!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 11-06-2010 at 18:45.
jules58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2009, 20:32   #2
God Member

Re: Oak House Dentist

yep, would have to agree about that dentist in Blackburn, i was with them for a while, i went in for a filling a couple of years ago, the lady dentist put a temporary filling in for me and told me to come back.....she did this 3 times in all ('temporarily' filled it), in the same tooth and told me to come back yet again....in the meantime my tooth literally fell apart from all the drilling she had done....i never went back, i was really annoyed

they are made up of a lot of foreign dentists from Europe
Old 05-11-2009, 20:59   #3
Junior Member+

True, true. its like walking in to another country. I rang most of my family to tell them what a differance from the one in blackburn to oak house in accy!!!!! its inpossible to explain how better the dentist in accrington is!!!!! if any one needs the number here its is 01254 266411(emergency number) and ask for OAK HOUSE!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 11-06-2010 at 18:46.
jules58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 21:07   #4
Beacon of light

Jules, thanks for the phone number........I was just about to look it up......I am a patient of theirs and am due to have a six monthly check up.......saves me looking for it.

I endorse everything you say about Oak House.....they are excellent!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 23:18   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

is that the one at the antley?
Old 05-11-2009, 23:33   #6
Beacon of light

Oak House is up next to the Pals building and it took over from the Dental Unit at Accy Vic...it trains the dentists of the future too.
Old 05-11-2009, 23:36   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oak House is up next to the Pals building and it took over from the Dental Unit at Accy Vic...it trains the dentists of the future too.
Ah ta, thought i knew the name............. its mine.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:08   #8

Is it private or NHS?
And are they taking on new patients?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08   #9
Beacon of light

It is Nhs.......not sure if they are taking new patients but you could give them a ring.......their tel no is 01254 282600.......the number which Jules gave is for the emergency dental service.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57   #10
Senior Member+

I was fortunate enough to get in with this practice when it opened. I do rate them highly. I went through quite a bit of dental work last year (due to being without a dentist for a number of years) and they were fantastic. The work took longer than planned but that was because I agreed to have that course of treatment carried out by the student dentists. But what they have done has been fine, and everyone needs to learn somehow, they are under supervision so felt quite safe opting for this. The boys are also with this surgery and their dentist is fantastic with them (they have been going since they were 2 so were young when they started going)

I went to a surgery in darwen for emergency treatment before getting on with this practice and they carried out work, gave me a temporary filling (which didnt last a week) but did give me an appointment to return in a week for further treatment, they then called on the monring of the appointment and cancelled and would not offer me a further one and told me to contact NHS direct for emergency treatment (again) if i had any further problems. Due to them leaving the tooth as it was, the nerve died and I ended up having to have it removed (by Oak House) and on extraction of the tooth they already had a denture ready and waiting to go in (they took moulds etc in advance of the extraction) so had it all planned and sorted for me so i wouldnt be without a tooth (which was quite near the front and visible when i spoke etc) So yes, I do think they are a very good surgery and would nto hesitate in recomending them. The only warning I could give about them is not to miss appointments with them. Due to the NHS dental waiting list being so long they will remove you from their books if you fail to attend appointments.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19   #11

what are they like at oak house......im petrified of dentist and have been having the worst pain not only in my tooth but face aswell,my gum is swollen a touch and rang nhs this morning at 5am in tears as i couldnt stand it no more,i knew i had to be stron to go to a dentist....ive got to go to oak house tonight at quarter to 7 but dreading it.been told student do the work.and the idea of that scres the life out of me.i dont mind the needle bit its the poking in the holes they do first it well hurts and thats the bit i really hate,if i knew they wouldnt go near my broken tooth with any thing until it was numbed it feel abit better. so can anyone tell me anything good about this dentist plz,i actually feel sick
bluerose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:56   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose33 View Post
what are they like at oak house......im petrified of dentist and have been having the worst pain not only in my tooth but face aswell,my gum is swollen a touch and rang nhs this morning at 5am in tears as i couldnt stand it no more,i knew i had to be stron to go to a dentist....ive got to go to oak house tonight at quarter to 7 but dreading it.been told student do the work.and the idea of that scres the life out of me.i dont mind the needle bit its the poking in the holes they do first it well hurts and thats the bit i really hate,if i knew they wouldnt go near my broken tooth with any thing until it was numbed it feel abit better. so can anyone tell me anything good about this dentist plz,i actually feel sick
I've been at Oak House for awhile now, used to be at Accy Vic when i started using them. Its not true that everyone is seen by students/Junior dentists and if you are not happy with the particular dentist who see's you, they will change you to another within the practise if you ask.

The Dentist i'm seeing there now is one of the Senior Dentists...his name is David...sorry i dont recall his surname. But he is superb, and very good indeed with Nervous Patients, i know because my ex wife who was terrified of going to the Dentists, also changed to him on my recommendation, and she says he's the best she's ever had, and is as much at ease with him as she could be...lets face it...no one really enjoys going do they!!!

I did intially have concerns with the fact that i seemed to be getting a different dentist on every other visit, due to Junior Dentists moving on to other practices, but since i've been put on Davids patient list, i cant speak highly enough of him....he supports Rovers too!!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:40   #13
God Member

A few years ago I had an emergency extraction three times by these dentists when they were housed at Accy Vic.
(my dental problems happened when my private Denplan denist was on one of his frequent cruises)

I was very impressed by their gentleness and professionalism
(better than the dentist I was paying for)

On one occasion I was given a choice between an extraction now, or an extraction after a week on antibiotics.
I was made to feel that I was in control of my own treatment - none was forced on me - that goes a long way towards dispelling any fear.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:57   #14
Resting in Peace

I have just been talking to them this afternoon, been referred by the community matrons, as I need regular check ups, (was told so at the maxfax, due to osteoporosis) As I have big problems attending any surgery these days, without ambulance, they are arranging a domiciliary visit
Old 11-06-2010, 17:55   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I've been at Oak House for awhile now, used to be at Accy Vic when i started using them. Its not true that everyone is seen by students/Junior dentists and if you are not happy with the particular dentist who see's you, they will change you to another within the practise if you ask.

The Dentist i'm seeing there now is one of the Senior Dentists...his name is David...sorry i dont recall his surname. But he is superb, and very good indeed with Nervous Patients, i know because my ex wife who was terrified of going to the Dentists, also changed to him on my recommendation, and she says he's the best she's ever had, and is as much at ease with him as she could be...lets face it...no one really enjoys going do they!!!

I did intially have concerns with the fact that i seemed to be getting a different dentist on every other visit, due to Junior Dentists moving on to other practices, but since i've been put on Davids patient list, i cant speak highly enough of him....he supports Rovers too!!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
The dentist you are referring to is David Heeley, and yes, he is absolutely marvellous.
I have no hesitation in recommending him.
As for being treated by students.....I have been treated by the students, but I was asked if I would be happy to have some treatment from them.
They are supervised by senior dental staff at every step.
You do not have to accept treatment from the student, and if you do accept, you still remain the patient of your original dentist.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..