Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 21:24   #1
Caz
God Member

OAPs as a demographic group

Prompted by Accymans "old Dear" comment in the ciggy thread.

I'm not young, I'm 55 and in a few years time, will be an "OAP" myself. So this is not me being ageist in anyway. My question is about how we see this group of people, and why we lump them together in a certain way

It just seems to me that once people hit the mark, they become part of a supposed cozy, cuddly group in society, as if all older people suddenly become worthy, and we dare not say a word against them for fear of giving offence.

For instance, a lot of OAPs, feckless in their own time, gave birth to the slack parents we have today, who's immoral offspring are making life hell for many people.

Lots of pensioners have committed crimes in the past, and some still do in their older years.

I will not give respect to a person, simply because of their age. As I said in a previous post, I respect my elders if they warrant it

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2009, 21:27   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: OAPs as a demographic group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
For instance, a lot of OAPs, feckless in their own time, gave birth to the slack parents we have today, who's immoral offspring are making life hell for many people.
Put that way it is ironic that many of the old folk of today who moan on about how it was better years ago have actually caused today's problems

I agree with the respect where due comment.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:28   #3
Caz
God Member

Exactly!!!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-02-2009, 21:30   #4

I am 77 and so an OAP. I also must be thick as I cant understand what the hell you are on about. Explain yourself
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:32   #5
Caz
God Member

What is there to explain?

Unless you mean the word "demographic" as in a portion of the population

- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Caz; 06-02-2009 at 21:34.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:32   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Put that way it is ironic that many of the old folk of today who moan on about how it was better years ago have actually caused today's problems

I agree with the respect where due comment.
Your having a laugh.......todays peoples problems have been brought on by todays people.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:36   #7
Caz
God Member

And the feral section of our youth today just sprouted from nowhere?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-02-2009, 21:39   #8
God Member

Lear: "How old art thou"?

Kent: "Not so young, sir, to love a woman for singing, nor so old to dote on her for any thing: I have years on my back sixty-three."

I agree that respect should be earned. Perhaps we used to have more respect for them because they earned it .... (what am I saying, "they" ... shoot, I'm only two years away) .... but I do think the elderly should be given some breaks if they are frail and less active than they used to be ... see nothing wrong with giving up my seat to someone who is not as physically active and able as I am, or letting them go ahead in the supermarket line up. But as far as a general respect for grey hair, it is not on the cards for me.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:41   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
And the feral section of our youth today just sprouted from nowhere?
I am 69 and didn't breed one of them....I am a grandfather of two children who are not ferel as you call it....My two daughters both highly educated would take exception to your claims as do I.....sounds like you have had a bad experience and want to shift the blame?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:45   #10
God Member

I don't agree that people suddenly become worthy just because they've reached a certain age.

If someone doesn't deserve respect at 50 then they probably won't at 60.

They'll still be the same, just older.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:45   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I am 69 and didn't breed one of them....I am a grandfather of two children who are not ferel as you call it..
Are they in their mid teens? If so what do they do for entertainment if they are not out with their friends?
Old 06-02-2009, 21:48   #12
Beacon of light

I fall into the OAP category, but do not see myself as such......I am, relatively speaking, fit and well, I have worked all of my life......I do not consider myself to have been either reckless or feckless. I have been married to the same chap for 42 years(though sometimes I think that is more good luck than good management)...have one daughter....who is currently at University doing a degree as a mature student......and I would not expect to be respected purely for my age.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:52   #13
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I am 69 and didn't breed one of them....I am a grandfather of two children who are not ferel as you call it....My two daughters both highly educated would take exception to your claims as do I.....sounds like you have had a bad experience and want to shift the blame?
Did I include you in this? NO!! The point I am making is that there are just as many bad apples in the older age groups as there are in the younger ones. I have kids and grandchildren myself and non of them are feral. so no, I don't want to shift the blame on anyone, thankyou very much. They were my responsibility as a parent. Something dare I say it, that even way back when some people didn't take too seriously.

Bad parenting isn't just an issue of today.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-02-2009, 21:59   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

I turned 66 last month and don't anyone dare call me an "old dear".

I'm part of no cosy, cuddly group. I'm the same person I was 40 years ago, just a bit more arthritic, and I object to being "lumped together" with anyone for chronological reasons. I detest the term OAP and the patronising way the over-60s are referred to, before anything else, as Pensioners (implying, more often then not, frailty of body and mind).

I don't demand respect because of my age. I hope I earn it by my actions.
Old 06-02-2009, 22:07   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
I turned 66 last month and don't anyone dare call me an "old dear"
Shut up. You whingeing old biddy.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..