Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 23:56   #31

Re: Observer plug for Accy Web.

The situation in the rented sector in this borough is abysmal. Ok we need more low cost houses to buy, but with the wages most people are earning in this borough, they will never be able to own their own homes. Why should, those of us, who are fortunate to be homeowners, turn a blind eye to the poor housing in the privately rented sector. The landlords are only interested in making big profits, and have scant regard for the conditions they expect their tenants to live in, whilst charging sky high rents. At the same time they are forcing down the house prices of the existing owner occupiers in areas, such as Woodnook, which means they can buy up even more houses at rock bottom prices to make even more money.
Could Jaysay, please can you explain, why it is more important to make cheep jibes at Graham Jones, (who is a hard working councillor, who is trying to improve the living conditions of his ward (Peel) and wants to make the whole borough a better place to live in, for everyone) than to start to tackle the real problems of this once proud borough.
Surely as Leader of the Council for 5 out of years last 6 years, Peter Britcliffe should hold up his hands and say he has got it completely wrong (I would have expressed it in more graphical terms – but don’t want to be accussed of using ‘vile’ language. The phrase ‘Fiddling whilst Rome Burned’ springs to mind. Can you please tell me when he is going to come back from cloud cuckoo land and join the real world,
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2006, 23:57   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
What ever made you think I was a gentleman Gary, that must be the best backhanded compliment I've had for many a long day, as for loging of well the ale hasn't worn of yet and I can't stand the Mint
The Mint?

That television is the perfect example of the Tory free market economy at it's best.

Cheap to run and produces very few winners.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:29   #33
God Member

Lets not make quick remarks about the Tory ideologies shall we, or do we have to bring up 1997 and how the lefties had to become right wing to win an election?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:39   #34
Senior Member+

double post - server is playing up.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:40   #35
Senior Member+

John (anonymously known as jaysay on here), you wrote in the ob,

"...(all the leters are my own work) I have always had my name and address published. This is unlike some people who hide behind pen names or ask for their names to be withheld. If you're not prepared to put your name to a letter and have it published then it's not even worth sending".

Why are you publishing letters/comments on here under a nome de plume then?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
John (anonymously known as jaysay on here), you wrote in the ob,

"...(all the leters are my own work) I have always had my name and address published. This is unlike some people who hide behind pen names or ask for their names to be withheld. If you're not prepared to put your name to a letter and have it published then it's not even worth sending".

Why are you publishing letters/comments on here under a nome de plume then?
Good point. Both Gayle Knight and Graham Jones post under there own names on here.

...and Cyfer I'll post exactly what I like about Tory policies. In 1997 you could say new Labour became a lot more right wing to win middle England, just as David Cameron is moving to the left with his gay friendly, multi-ethnic, women biased lists of contenders for by-elections. Bless.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:51   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Even the greatest of leaders needs people with motivation to follow
I don't agree with you either. A leader should motivate his/her people. When necessary he/she needs to find ways to motivate them as well, not the other way round as you suggest.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:06   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Good point. Both Gayle Knight and Graham Jones post under there own names on here.
As do I, but you don't garinda. Is there a reason for you hiding behind a girls name?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

...and Cyfer I'll post exactly what I like about Tory policies. In 1997 you could say new Labour became a lot more right wing to win middle England, just as David Cameron is moving to the left with his gay friendly, multi-ethnic, women biased lists of contenders for by-elections. Bless.
I'm afriad democracy is available to both sides no matter if you're left or right. I fail to see why moving towards a more representative set of MP's is somehow leftwing.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I don't agree with you either. A leader should motivate his/her people. When necessary he/she needs to find ways to motivate them as well, not the other way round as you suggest.
I still stand by my words, some people simply are not interested in politics, and never will be no matter what leader they are given.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:30   #41
God Member

I keep it simple. I make uncomplimentary remarks about everybody
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:44   #42
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
it looks like Two Homes Jones will be the next.
I`m no apologist for Graham Jones and don`t share his politics, but this sort of name calling is a little childish from a grown man.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:09   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't agree with you either. A leader should motivate his/her people. .
Very True ..................

That is where 99.9 % of all politicians/councillors fail (That is why council workers NEVER do a full day or job, NO leadership).................. they are people that cant hack it in other lines of leadership IE business....

Imagine if Richard Branson could be convinced into using his skills for hynburn council ???

Hyndburn would be a totally different place.....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:11   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As do I, but you don't garinda. Is there a reason for you hiding behind a girls name?
I'm not the one writing to the paper berating people that have a nom de plume. My luscious locked mug is all over the gallery, as is my name if people were really that interested in knowing it.

Garinda was a name I aquired in Glasgow. 'Gary-in-da-house'.

Which is what the excited masses whispered when I deigned a visitation on an establishment.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:29   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
The situation in the rented sector in this borough is abysmal. Ok we need more low cost houses to buy, but with the wages most people are earning in this borough, they will never be able to own their own homes. Why should, those of us, who are fortunate to be homeowners, turn a blind eye to the poor housing in the privately rented sector. The landlords are only interested in making big profits, and have scant regard for the conditions they expect their tenants to live in, whilst charging sky high rents. At the same time they are forcing down the house prices of the existing owner occupiers in areas, such as Woodnook, which means they can buy up even more houses at rock bottom prices to make even more money.
Could Jaysay, please can you explain, why it is more important to make cheep jibes at Graham Jones, (who is a hard working councillor, who is trying to improve the living conditions of his ward (Peel) and wants to make the whole borough a better place to live in, for everyone) than to start to tackle the real problems of this once proud borough.
Surely as Leader of the Council for 5 out of years last 6 years, Peter Britcliffe should hold up his hands and say he has got it completely wrong (I would have expressed it in more graphical terms – but don’t want to be accussed of using ‘vile’ language. The phrase ‘Fiddling whilst Rome Burned’ springs to mind. Can you please tell me when he is going to come back from cloud cuckoo land and join the real world,
Very interesting its okay to attack Britcliffe but you cry fould when people turn on poor Graham. Britcliffe can't be doing a bad jod for the people he represents (St. Andrews Ward) Ithink hes just been reelected for the 8th time since 1983
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..