Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 11:36   #76
God Member

Re: Observer plug for Accy Web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Britcliffe can't be doing a bad jod for the people he represents (St. Andrews Ward) Ithink hes just been reelected for the 8th time since 1983

I don't think that 704 votes counts as a ringing endorsement, in anyone's book. It appears to me that the only reason that Britcliffe managed to bite, kick and claw his way to victory in this election is because Bill Greene split the vote. Had it been a straight face-to-face contest Gayle would easily have walked away with the seat. But, I suppose that is the nature of local politics and there is nothing as respectable as an old abuse.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42   #77
Beacon of light

I think the parallel drawn between Graham Jones and John Prescott was ludicrous. John Prescott has Two Jags because we, the taxpayer fund him.....Graham Jones has two houses that he funded himself and I think it is nobody's business but his what he spends his money on........and before you label me a Labour crony....think again, I have no political affiliations with any party......I vote for who I think can best do the job.
If the letter in the Observer is not a personal attack then I don't know what is.
As I say it is a prime example of the pot calling the kettle.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:50   #78

Well put Margaret - I think it would be hard to find a more personal attack - maybe Jaysay will tell us what he would write if he was making a personal attack on anyone.

Last edited by claytonender; 10-06-2006 at 14:31.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:55   #79
Beacon of light

Another reason that may have helped Councillor Britcliffe back into his seat is the fact that the Labour Party suffered some pretty serious scandals in the run up to the local elections.....I am sure this daunted quite a few people.
Some people vote for the party and not the person.....I suppose that is sensible if it is a national election....but it doesn't necessarily make the best sense in local elections.
Old 10-06-2006, 15:32   #80
God Member

If there is one thing you can depend on ,through thick or thin, it is the Tory vote. 90% of the Tory support is not swayed by who would be the best candidate but a driving compelsion to do thier duty.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 16:33   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Another reason that may have helped Councillor Britcliffe back into his seat is the fact that the Labour Party suffered some pretty serious scandals in the run up to the local elections.....I am sure this daunted quite a few people.
Some people vote for the party and not the person.....I suppose that is sensible if it is a national election....but it doesn't necessarily make the best sense in local elections.
That was definitely a factor, everyone who objected to Labour objected because of national issues. The week before Prescott had been shown to be an adulterer and there were a lot of people still unhappy about the war. And, despite me saying that the Conservative party also voted for the war they still blamed Blair. I don't think it made anyone vote Conservative instead of Labour but I do think it kept a few people away from the polling station on the day.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 19:26   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
I agree totally with what you are saying Willow the Whisp, why are Hyndburn Council not doing anything to control these unscruplous private landlords?
The Government introduced powers of licensing under the 2004 Housing Act. The officers at HBC were against licensing of landlords. They were supported by the Conservatives. Reasons such as no money, can't do it, were put forward as main objectives, though I think it just wasn't a priority.

With this lack of willing I did decide to put the issue on the Councils Overview and Scrutiny timetable and organised myself, reports from another authority (Salford) to be sent to challange this entrenched HBC view with hard facts. Whilst everyone at O&S accepted the Salford report as good, no one did anything about it afterwards. The powers were not influenced.

Not to be defeated, I have now set up a Neighbourhood Management Board consisting of residents and councillors in Peel & Barnfield and pushed for ELEVATE monies. We have had 3 meetings now and the residents are 100% behind licensing. In my view if we had a Labour Council, implementation would have been swifter, less costly, less bureaucractic and more efficient, and covered other parts of the Borough.

ELEVATE have said they will fund P&B NM Board. We are pushing hard for a draconian system, similar to Salford's but tougher/tighter still. This will be the start of a rolling programme and I hope all of Peel will be covered.

Last edited by g jones; 10-06-2006 at 19:56.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 20:04   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
Sounds like typical Tory stuff for "market forces will sort it out" next it will be the "trickle down effect" (still got my tongue out waiting for the droplets)!
Is this a joke or not?
Old 10-06-2006, 20:07   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I could agree with this normaly BUT in the case of 2006 local elections the national labour party held serious 'punch and judy' campagins such as Dave the Cameleon... Local elections should be about local issues, labour were the ones bringing national party leaders in to it... they proberbly would have done better if they had left that alone.
Old 10-06-2006, 20:13   #85
Beacon of light

Which is entirely what I was saying...local elections...local issues. Unfortunately some people find it difficult to differentiate between local politics and national politics. Whatever you say, there is firm evidence to confirm that local people were sidetracked by the scandals that happened in the run up to the local elections. I'm sure that the 'meddling' that the national parties did....I suppose, to drum up interest...did more harm than good.
Old 10-06-2006, 21:43   #86
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
With this lack of willing I did decide to put the issue on the Councils Overview and Scrutiny timetable
Good man Graham, I used to live in a privately rented house, we later moved to a Housing Association one before we bought our own. The difference between private rented and Association was amazing. We went from a damp 2 bed terrace too close to Chav1 for comfort, to a 3 bed, 3 or 4 year old end town house in Clayton with a good sized secure garden for the children to play in for less rent. I must say that we were with a proper Housing Association and not one of these Council break aways like Hyndburn Homes. It looks like Hyndburn Homes is still mainly run by the same people before the split from the Council so I suspect all the same mis-management issues will remain unchecked as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
ELEVATE have said they will fund P&B NM Board.
graham please don't abbreviate these group and board name thingies, it makes it hard for us not in the know to understand who or what you mean.
Old 10-06-2006, 22:57   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Is this a joke or not?
I'm sure it was a joke for Maggie, Cecil, Norman,and all the cabinet at the time.. but no joke for the 3 and half million people put on the dole.. some of us do remember Cfyr.. aint your dad told you?

Last edited by Mancie; 10-06-2006 at 23:11.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 23:30   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
We went from a damp 2 bed terrace too close to Chav1 for comfort
I never knew you used to live near Pansy Street.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 23:39   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
Well put Margaret - I think it would be hard to find a more personal attack - maybe Jaysay will tell us what he would write if he was making a personal attack on anyone.
the silence is deafening maybe cos its indefensible.
Old 10-06-2006, 23:44   #90

Jaysay does appear to have problem with telling us what he would write in a personal attack
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..