Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2022, 15:44   #1

Oh Deary Me.

After supping three or four pints of hobgoblin real ale a day for many years Aldi have increased the price from £1-25 to £1-40 a bottle, thankfully my missus of many years standing realized that they used to sell "Harpers Ruby Ale", which is very similar in strength and taste to Hobgoblin for £1-09 a bottle, (and) still do. Problem solved, I am now a devotee of Harpers Brewery.
Time for another pint. to Hobgoblin.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2022, 16:29   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Oh Deary Me.

How very German of you!

Let me put this into pespective for you, I & a couple of other British lads like our German Beers, mainly from Breweries in the South of this vast land, so when we throw a little Soiree or invite the pheasantry round for Beer & Brattys, they can be assured of a quality & premium Beer / Beers. These philistine freeloaders will happily chuzzle down several "Hoibe", complementing & commenting upon its bouquet, subtle hopping & carefully balanced malt notes, usually accompanied by the comment "Nicht schlecht, schmeckt mi'". They then ask for another & where can they possibly purchase this fine "Helles", I or one of our cultured soiree throwers will then enlighten these knowlessmen.

But upon hearing the price can be anything upwards of €20,00 per case (20 x 0.5ltr) the scuzzbags start spluttering & blustering about this criminal outrage, when they can go get a case of 24 x 0.33 Veltins, Krommy or (gawd forbid & strike them down where they stand!) Ött(m)inger pils for €15,00 & below when on offer.

So, put plainly Tadmeister, quality costs & your wanton disregard for the old "Gobby" & carelessly discarding it for this cheap imitation, has put you, on the first step of the flight of cellar stairs heading down to abomination & damnation, not unlike those Germing knowlessmen I mentioned above.
dotti34, Stevie R and taddy like this.
Old 23-06-2022, 17:19   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Surely, it should be no real shock to you? The stuff has been brewed since 1983 the price you originally bought it at MUST have increased over the years? (Or did you buy a factory load back then and have finally run out?).
What the hey, You enjoy it, it's your tipple accept no substitute for what keeps you the way you are, pay the money and sod the expense!

P.S. does your missus do the household bills? Did she look at the increase and say no way are you worth the extra, you'll make do with what I get you! If so it's time to trade in her in for a younger more appreciative model!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 17:56   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
it's time to trade in her in for a younger more appreciative model!

Nah, new model would be no good, think of all the wasted time retraining & getting it to function as she should, only worthwhile trade in would be for the equivalent in beer.
taddy likes this.
Old 23-06-2022, 18:01   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Nah, new model would be no good, think of all the wasted time retraining & getting it to function as she should, only worthwhile trade in would be for the equivalent in beer.
Won't be many beers if she can't stand a price increase.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 18:13   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:

It's trade in, they'll always chuck a bit extra into the offer.
Old 23-06-2022, 19:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
How very German of you!

Let me put this into pespective for you, I & a couple of other British lads like our German Beers, mainly from Breweries in the South of this vast land, so when we throw a little Soiree or invite the pheasantry round for Beer & Brattys, they can be assured of a quality & premium Beer / Beers. These philistine freeloaders will happily chuzzle down several "Hoibe", complementing & commenting upon its bouquet, subtle hopping & carefully balanced malt notes, usually accompanied by the comment "Nicht schlecht, schmeckt mi'". They then ask for another & where can they possibly purchase this fine "Helles", I or one of our cultured soiree throwers will then enlighten these knowlessmen.

But upon hearing the price can be anything upwards of €20,00 per case (20 x 0.5ltr) the scuzzbags start spluttering & blustering about this criminal outrage, when they can go get a case of 24 x 0.33 Veltins, Krommy or (gawd forbid & strike them down where they stand!) Ött(m)inger pils for €15,00 & below when on offer.

So, put plainly Tadmeister, quality costs & your wanton disregard for the old "Gobby" & carelessly discarding it for this cheap imitation, has put you, on the first step of the flight of cellar stairs heading down to abomination & damnation, not unlike those Germing knowlessmen I mentioned above.
Oh come on Dave, What's with your German mates downing a couple of halves of "not bad pale ale", I used to love the Bavarian and Austrian Biers but they are not a patch on the English real Ales; so after your comments it looks like I shall have to take my hand out of my pocket and allow the missus to get the Hobgoblin. (no chance, I am a full member of the "tightartus religion, Stay safe, keep suppin, yours's Taddy.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 23-06-2022, 20:01   #8

Quote:
Sorry, I did forget to mention that it was(ME) who told her to buy the cheaper ale, as I said in the original post there is very little difference in taste and strength, I am suppin it now and I don't miss the Hobgoblin, (yet).
Old 24-06-2022, 15:33   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Oh come on Dave, What's with your German mates downing a couple of halves of "not bad pale ale", I used to love the Bavarian and Austrian Biers but they are not a patch on the English real Ales;
Good effort there Tadmeister! Close but no Cigar I'm afraid.

(1) Not so bothered about them enjoying the beers, just the fact that they'll drink it at "Our house", but won't dip a bit deeper to enjoy it at their house, especially if you're invited round.

(2) "Helles" in the German sense doesn't mean "Pale Ale", more a light, mild & malty Lager style Beer. But I see where you're coming from though.

(3) English real Ales are worlds apart from German Beers, we're talking Napples & Nonges here mate.
taddy likes this.
Old 24-06-2022, 23:57   #10

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

And this is why I stick to Liffey Water...it's unique..no 'my flat bottled crap is better than your fizzy chemical compound'...nothing compares to a pint, double poured into a tulip.. game over!

EDIT...and it doesn't matter where in the world you are..you watch the barman pour and you just know if it's time to find another pub
Less likes this.

Last edited by Guinness; 25-06-2022 at 00:06.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 03:18   #11

Why were you sort of shocked, Taddy, when you realised that the price of your favourite tipple had gone up? isn’t everything going in the same direction these days. If you enjoy this drink then that very small increase should not have concerned you. It wouldn’t concern me if something I liked went up by that amount. It’s just a spit in the ocean compared to some price increases.

What does concern me though, Taddy, is that it sounds as if by ‘allowing’ your other half to buy this for you, telling her which beer she can buy for you, you don’t actually go out and buy it yourself but expect your wife to do it for you. Tut! Tut! I do hope that in exchange for her doing this you regularly buy her flowers and chocolates in appreciation…well at least the chocolates, and blow the expense.

As for trade-ins, bless your cotton socks you men, maybe the shoe is on the other foot as to who should be traded in for younger models…
taddy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 08:04   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
As for trade-ins, bless your cotton socks you men, maybe the shoe is on the other foot as to who should be traded in for younger models…
I was always under the impression, from overheard snatches of conversation, random gangs of older wimmen down the Bingo etc, that if it ever came to a trade in of the "Sloth in the Armchair", it'd be for one or all of the following

(1) A Dog (2) A Cat (3) A comfy blanlet, hot water bottle & a good book.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
Old 25-06-2022, 08:17   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And this is why I stick to Liffey Water...it's unique..no 'my flat bottled crap is better than your fizzy chemical compound'...nothing compares to a pint, double poured into a tulip.. game over!

EDIT...and it doesn't matter where in the world you are..you watch the barman pour and you just know if it's time to find another pub
Hang on a minute there Chief, tankers full of sticky tar, transported round the globe, then diluted with the local "water", then served to the masses. I'll stick to my 1516 "Bayerische Reinheitsgebot" Beers thank you very much.

taddy likes this.
Old 25-06-2022, 10:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Oh Deary Me, You obviously have never supped a pint of "Real Ale" and by "Real" I refer to genuine cask stored, seasoned and vented and hand pumped "Proper", Ale, not the fizzy chemical compound that you mention, the "tastiest" pint that I have ever drunk anywhere and I have sampled a few over the years in five or six deferent countries was the Guinness (or two) that I was served in the "Wildfowler's Arm's on the shores of Strangford Loch in Northern Ireland many, many moons ago.
Old 25-06-2022, 10:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Why were you sort of shocked, Taddy, when you realised that the price of your favourite tipple had gone up? isn’t everything going in the same direction these days. If you enjoy this drink then that very small increase should not have concerned you. It wouldn’t concern me if something I liked went up by that amount. It’s just a spit in the ocean compared to some price increases.

What does concern me though, Taddy, is that it sounds as if by ‘allowing’ your other half to buy this for you, telling her which beer she can buy for you, you don’t actually go out and buy it yourself but expect your wife to do it for you. Tut! Tut! I do hope that in exchange for her doing this you regularly buy her flowers and chocolates in appreciation…well at least the chocolates, and blow the expense.

Oh Dotty, Me and my good lady have been married for 55 years and were courting for 4 years before that, I would not swap her for the world, as for Hazel buying my beer this is only because she will not allow me to accompany her on her shopping trips because she enjoys perusing the articles. Also in our entire married life , hazel has been the one who has looked after the finances and I cannot fault her for that.
I must explain that many posts that I put on Accy Web are tongue in cheek comments. As for buying her a box of chocolates, this is a "no no" because as I am Typing this post she and her mates are down at the weekly, (oh we must get slim) club.
dotti34 and DaveinGermany like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..