Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2013, 20:28   #166
Beacon of light

Re: Oh Hum its a funny old world

I did actually have a go at reading some of the stuff that is in those links...but it wasn't an easy read.......so I gave it up.
Those writers are like vultures picking over the bones of history...they can do nothing about what happened any more than we can.
And who is to say what India(or any of the colonies for that matter) would have been like had the British not been involved in their past?
jaysay likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2013, 00:27   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I did actually have a go at reading some of the stuff that is in those links...but it wasn't an easy read.......so I gave it up.
Those writers are like vultures picking over the bones of history...they can do nothing about what happened any more than we can.
And who is to say what India(or any of the colonies for that matter) would have been like had the British not been involved in their past?
I'm afraid I don't agree with your view of history. But, as usual, I like and admire the way you put forward your opinions: lite on the cliches, and heavy on the calm reasoned argument ... except maybe when something really pees you off I always like to think that you don't open your mouth, or head for the keyboard, without giving some serious thought to what you are about to "say".
Gordon Booth likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 07:25   #168
Beacon of light

I take that as a compliment Eric....Thankyou.
I like that you have been 'gentle' with me for my differing view of history......and I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.

I'm not an expert on history(and that could be why I hold the views that I do).......and unless something really grabs me about a time or a place in history then the facts can be a bit hazy.

When I was at school, we didn't do a lot of history, and it was taught in such a manner that I found window gazing and daydreaming to be a better option.......which I suppose is why I left school at 15 without a paper qualification to my name.

I am somewhat distrustful of latter day writers, of what the Brits did to places they colonised....thinking they have some kind of gripe and want to exercise it.....but cannot conceive of how India(just as an example) might have been without any outside influence.

We can't move on by hanging onto the grudges of the past.....that were perpetrated in different time, by people who had a vastly different view of the world.
We didn't do it back then, so cannot be held responsible.
We can only be held responsible for what is happening in the here and now.........and I don't know about you, but my influence on world events is like a gnat bite on the hide of a hippo.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:02   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Or the 'Daily Mail'
ticktock the clocks ticking
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 08:14   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
History is always quoted by the left in arguments, as you say we can do sod all about what our forefathers did, different era different set of rules, thankfully we've taken giant steps since those times, yet in places like China, and Burma their human rights record today are just as appalling and on a par with life behind the Iron Curtain pre 1989, yet you never hear any criticism, wonder why
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:42   #171
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
my influence on world events is like a gnat bite on the hide of a hippo.
Ah, but had you not been there Margaret someone that has had a great effect on the world might have died, some other unsung hero.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:54   #172
Beacon of light

Less, you overestimate my influence.........I did my bit(mainly because I enjoyed doing it - nothing altruistic in that...and yes I got paid too) and I daresay that over the years I have made a difference to some lives, though in a very small and perhaps insignificant way. (it must be so, because people still yell out in the street Sr P!)
I have not touched the lives of those with influence on how the world is run....or at least I don't think I have.
Old 21-01-2013, 10:04   #173

Quote:
or at least I don't think I have.
A perfect example of the butterfly effect!
Eric likes this.
Old 21-01-2013, 10:31   #174
Beacon of light

yes, Less...I have a theory(but no real evidence) on that, but if I told you what it was...you would mark my card 'NUTTER'
Old 21-01-2013, 10:53   #175

Quote:
you would mark my card 'NUTTER'
Don't assume I haven't already!
Old 21-01-2013, 11:08   #176
Beacon of light

Oh well......nuff said
Personally...I prefer....Unique, but will accept eccentric.
Old 21-01-2013, 13:25   #177
God Member

Quote:
I take that as a compliment Eric....Thankyou.
I like that you have been 'gentle' with me for my differing view of history......and I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.

I'm not an expert on history(and that could be why I hold the views that I do).......and unless something really grabs me about a time or a place in history then the facts can be a bit hazy.

When I was at school, we didn't do a lot of history, and it was taught in such a manner that I found window gazing and daydreaming to be a better option.......which I suppose is why I left school at 15 without a paper qualification to my name.

I am somewhat distrustful of latter day writers, of what the Brits did to places they colonised....thinking they have some kind of gripe and want to exercise it.....but cannot conceive of how India(just as an example) might have been without any outside influence.

We can't move on by hanging onto the grudges of the past.....that were perpetrated in different time, by people who had a vastly different view of the world.
We didn't do it back then, so cannot be held responsible.
We can only be held responsible for what is happening in the here and now.........and I don't know about you, but my influence on world events is like a gnat bite on the hide of a hippo.
You sound a little like Catherine Moreland in Northanger Abbey: "History, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in ... The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars or pestilences in every page ... it is very tiresome." Austen had interesting views on history.

I got interested in this view when I read a little about chaos theory, and quantum cognition. I know, I have too much free time on my hands ... maybe I should get a life, or concentrate on
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:07   #178
Beacon of light

I am not a fan of Austen, but now, you make me tempted to read Northanger abbey to see if I am like the character Catherine Moreland.
I am sure that Catherine was a far more refined lady than i could ever hope to be.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:25   #179
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I got interested in this view when I read a little about chaos theory, and quantum cognition. I know, I have too much free time on my hands ... maybe I should get a life, or concentrate on
Eric, if everyone used their free time as well and as intelligently as you do the world would be a better place.
Old 21-01-2013, 16:40   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Eric, if everyone used their free time as well and as intelligently as you do the world would be a better place.
However, if he spent more time drinking instead of reading he wouldn't need books, no books means less trees being used for paper, better for the planet, unless of course his books are supplied by velvet publishing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..