Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2017, 10:09   #256
Beacon of light

Re: Oh Hum its a funny old world

boys and girls need to know that they compliment each other and that they are equally valid...that their lives are for them to map out and be allowed the resaources to do that. Children of both sexes need the security of boundaries too.
Of course they may challenge and push those boundaries...but the boundaries are needed as much as love and acceptance.
Less, KiTChener and DaveinGermany like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2017, 18:07   #257
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Think the Austrian Coppers will be calling "Mutti" up soon to tell her her dumb as a bag of rocks (scientists/engineers & doctors) have arrived & they're holding them until she comes to collect!

Syrian Migrants Arrested After Stealing Car... To Drive to Asylum Application Police Station
Old 30-08-2017, 18:29   #258
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Think the Austrian Coppers will be calling "Mutti" up soon to tell her her dumb as a bag of rocks (scientists/engineers & doctors) have arrived & they're holding them until she comes to collect!

Syrian Migrants Arrested After Stealing Car... To Drive to Asylum Application Police Station
That should be a damn good reason to refuse em and kick em out imho.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32   #259
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Liberal lefties, the gift that just keeps giving!
Okay, so it's a loony leftie from Os, "Red Ruby Scarlet" (Eh??) but when the sjw snowflakes kicked off in the states about "Confederacy Statues" in the south it soon spread to our fair isles with the muppets demanding Nelsons column be torn down ..... Sooo, how long before the band wagon gets rolled out of its shed again over here?

Growing Movement to Rename Father?s Day ?Special Person?s Day?, Schools Adopt New Term
Old 13-09-2017, 12:20   #260
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As I was speaking elsewhere about the poor little leftie snowflakes, this is your doing too, thanks! You've destroyed a generation with your twisted, warped degenerate attitudes & so now reap the whirlwind.

?Overburdened? young people still ?angry and emotional? about Brexit | UK | News | Express.co.uk

School children are given classes on how to cope with modern life | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Lawks & Lummy! However did I manage get to the ripe old age of 52 going on 72 with all that nastiness out there???
Old 13-09-2017, 15:24   #261
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Lawks & Lummy! However did I manage get to the ripe old age of 52 going on 72 with all that nastiness out there???
You managed because like the rest of us, you are ill educated and ignorance is bliss.
We should however feel sorry for the younger ones because a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, obviously it's giving them sleepless nights, so lets sack all the decent teachers and get back to status quo.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 15:43   #262
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You managed because like the rest of us, you are ill educated and ignorance is bliss.
'Ere, I resemble that remark!
Old 13-09-2017, 16:18   #263
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
We should however feel sorry for the younger ones because a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, obviously it's giving them sleepless nights, so lets sack all the decent teachers and get back to status quo.
I don't think that is quite true.
We were all too busy trying to put bread on the table, to pay our bills to give much thought to much else.
Plus many of us went to night school to fill the gaps that our secondary school(I am speaking for myself here) education left us with.

What we have done over generations is give our children a sense of entitlement...that they should have all that they need dropped right into their laps...there is no elevator to success...you have to take the stairs. Many of these little darlings do not like that idea overmuch.
As parents we are to blame!
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.
Old 14-09-2017, 08:14   #264
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

What we have done over generations is give our children a sense of entitlement...that they should have all that they need dropped right into their laps...there is no elevator to success...you have to take the stairs. Many of these little darlings do not like that idea overmuch.
As parents we are to blame!
don,t think its too much about parents to blame apart from the ones that try to use the postcode lottery to their advantage at junior school level. its the schools who constantly promote the exems what the kids take. when you come out with a load of gcse passes just like your mates do then their expectations of life are much higher than when we left school.
hilleluk likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 10:11   #265
Beacon of light

I think parents have given them the things that they have wanted....I know my parents struggled to feed us let alone give us the things we aspired to.
if we aspired to something we knew that if we wanted it badly enough we could get it by working for it....and I don't know about you, but I went without things so that I could save for what I wanted.

I didn't go on foreign Holidays, I didn't go on any holiday for a long time...the money that would have been spent on such things was put into savings to buy such things as furniture, a wardrobe...or to have improvements done to my home( I figured I would still have my wardrobe when those who had holidayed abroad had lost their tans).
I never bought anything that I could not afford(no credit cards back then...just HP)
So that is what I mean...parents have brought up children who have grown into adults who expect to be able to have everything to match....and become sulky when it doesn't go their way.
Snowflakes...whingers, moaners.
Those who seem to enjoy saintly victimhood.
The poor me generation...those who have never had to go out back in the middle of winter for a bucket of coal or to use the lavatory.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-09-2017 at 10:14.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:25   #266
God Member

my lifestyle years ago sounded not unlike your margaret. if you wanted something you saved up for it and probably appreciated it more than they do now after popping down to brighthouse etc. yes i might have had second hand furniture when i first got married plus a fifth hand vauxhall cresta but i couldn,t care less what the jones family had. didn,t do me or the family any harm whatsoever and probably helped em in the future life. no one moaned at the time.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:38   #267
Beacon of light

And that is the difference...we had low expectations, but high aspirations.
Aspirations can be worked for (and the opportunities today are better than when I was growing up)...expectations can be lifted if you are prepared to work and make some compromises.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:05   #268
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

most of em have no idea at all what an aspiration is.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:15   #269
Beacon of light

And isn't that a very, very sad thing?
Old 15-09-2017, 19:25   #270
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
most of em have no idea at all what an aspiration is.
Something for a hangover .... ???

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..