Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44   #61
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Oh Hum its a funny old world

Well there you go, a good old fashioned weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth, fire & brimstone, pits of hell, pulpit thumping, bible bashing rant from the Rt Rev. Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle ............. so now you know why we're up a certain creek, minus paddle.
Floods are judgment on society, say bishops - Telegraph
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Well there you go, a good old fashioned weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth, fire & brimstone, pits of hell, pulpit thumping, bible bashing rant from the Rt Rev. Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle ............. so now you know why we're up a certain creek, minus paddle.
Floods are judgment on society, say bishops - Telegraph
Is this guy a descendant of Noah
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48   #63
Beacon of light

When I went for my walk along the canal the other day I heard lots of sawing and banging.......I wondered if it was Noah....then chap shouted...'Tha'll need a lot moor wood than that tha knows'....so maybe it WAS Noah!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
When I went for my walk along the canal the other day I heard lots of sawing and banging.......I wondered if it was Noah....then chap shouted...'Tha'll need a lot moor wood than that tha knows'....so maybe it WAS Noah!
Were there any cones about Margaret
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54   #65
Beacon of light

No John...not that I noticed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 04:41   #66
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It just gets better don't it ?

Ministers to pay private companies to wake up and drive teenagers to work - Telegraph

So much for learning to be self sufficient, standing on your own 2 feet & making something of yourself.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 20-07-2012 at 04:43.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:33   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Ministers to pay private companies to wake up and drive teenagers to work - Telegraph

So much for learning to be self sufficient, standing on your own 2 feet & making something of yourself.
Now I know why I don't watch the news anymore, stops me pulling what little hair I still have out of my head, whats wrong with the flaming bus
Old 20-07-2012, 10:06   #68
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now I know why I don't watch the news anymore, stops me pulling what little hair I still have out of my head, whats wrong with the flaming bus
But they'd have to sleepwalk to the bus if no one came to wake them up first!

Did anyone see the programme last week on BBC1 with Nick Hewer and Margaret Mountford, about pensioners going back to work in Preston? They contrasted them with some youngsters who were taken on for the same work. The attitudes of the teenagers made me wonder where we are headed if that is the future - I think three of the six took the second day off their new job with a so-called "tummy bug" or personal problems they wouldn't discuss and none of them phoned in to tell their employer. OK so the pensioners may have lost their fitness to do some of the work and weren't enjoying it any more but I bet they would have struggled in or at least let someone know.

Last edited by susie123; 20-07-2012 at 10:13.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:10   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
But they'd have to sleepwalk to the bus if no one gave to wake them up first!

Did anyone see the programme last week on BBC1 with Nick Hewer and Margaret Mountford, about pensioners going back to work in Preston? They contrasted them with some youngsters who were taken on for the same work. The attitudes of the teenagers made me wonder where we are headed if that is the future - I think three of the six took the second day off their new job with a so-called "tummy bug" or personal problems they wouldn't discuss and none of them phoned in to tell their employer. OK so the pensioners may have lost their fitness to do some of the work and weren't enjoying it any more but I bet they would have struggled in or at least let someone know.
Well I had to get up and catch the bus to work susie when I first left school, mind you the Nanny State hadn't landed on our shores then
Old 20-07-2012, 12:59   #70

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

In this headline the word 'drive' is used in the context meaning to impel or urge NOT in the context of getting in a car. Vehicles are not mentioned. And the headline is relevant to one scheme in a multitude of schemes to help kids get into employment. It's basically paying someone to be a 'knocker-up'. (Used to be a valid job once, why not again?)

Personally I dont see the general idea as a bad thing, the only issue I have with it is putting these kids back into education. These kids are already labelled as 'academical failures' because they have not gone on to further education. Why on earth set them up to fail again.

I'm so tired of people of a certain age attacking the kids of today. When most of us were that age you could quit a job at dinner time, knock on a few doors and find another by tea time. Companies like BT, British Gas, Norweb etc..were taking apprentices by the hundred. Bulloughs and GEC had 2000+ workers each. There were umpteen sewing factories, Rists, Textile Mouldings. The list is endless

Things are not like that now, the kids who get out and look for work are constantly knocked back, they get disheartened and give up.

I think that Cleggs idea is worth running with, it's much better thought out than YTS and the open to abuse apprenticeship scheme

And don't even get me started on those biased, surgically edited, one sided, headline grabbing, stereotype reinforcing BBC fly on the wall documentaries.
Old 20-07-2012, 13:23   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well i think its ludicrous, When knocker ups were about, i doubt very much if many (if Any) people had or could afford alarm clocks, It aint a case of knocking the kids, Its a simple case of em learning to stand on own 2 feet, n becoming independent, not rocket science to me.
Old 20-07-2012, 13:32   #72
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
In this headline the word 'drive' is used in the context meaning to impel or urge NOT in the context of getting in a car. Vehicles are not mentioned.
Maybe so, but I reckon the word was deliberately used in the headline to make folks think that cars were involved, not the other meaning.
Old 20-07-2012, 16:48   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well i think its ludicrous, When knocker ups were about, i doubt very much if many (if Any) people had or could afford alarm clocks, It aint a case of knocking the kids, Its a simple case of em learning to stand on own 2 feet, n becoming independent, not rocket science to me.
Nail on head cashy
Old 20-07-2012, 17:10   #74

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The target group of kids here are 16-17 year olds with no academic qualifications whatsoever.

Chances are they have been abandoned by the education system from an early age when they showed no aptitude for academia, thrown into the bottom stream, allowed to leave school at the earliest opportunity.

These were the kids that used to end up working with their hands, some of whom made fortunes doing it, problem is we aint got those kinda jobs available anymore. Manufacturing is all but non-existant and small businesses like mechanics, builders, electricians etc.. won't give them a chance because of the extra health and safety risk assessments and hoops they have to jump through when kids work.

Something needs to be done to save these kids from becoming the next generation of Jeremy Kyle viewers/participants.

I'm no liberal do gooder, but I can see where Clegg is coming from here. £2,200 a head spent now is far better than paying a lifetime of benefits.

Oh and this is the source of the non-story about 'driving kids to school'

Radical Scheme To Rescue NEETS Kicks Off Today

'PPDG will also provide a one stop shop for integrated youth services with varying levels of support to help young people. This will include, for example, family conferencing, wake-up calls to help young people develop a routine, bite-sized English and maths courses and weekend/evening activities.'
Old 20-07-2012, 17:49   #75
Resting in Peace

Gremlin I hear what your saying, but we've heard it all before, the problem we have now started back in the sixties and seventies and with some families its an ingrained way of life, mummy and daddy don't work why should I, the trouble is they get through because its easier to cash a giro once a fortnight (mind you they don't do that now its paid straight into their bank accounts) and when they're better off sat at home rather than working what are they going to do

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..