Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2006, 14:39   #1
Give, give, give member

Old versus new technologies.

I've just made a bit of a boo-boo.

For ages I've been telling myself I should contact Blackburn College. Since being diagnosed with Parkinson's, all plans to eventually retire to Brittany and daub about with a paintbrush are no longer viable, as it now takes all my effort to even sign my name.

Some of the best and varied work I ever did was done whilst at Blackburn College on the art foundation course, work that was then used in my portfolio for degree entry.

My course tutor asked if he could keep my portfolio as an example to other students. I'd never really thought much about it, until I'm now unable to draw and produce anymore work.

Today I woke up and decided I would try and see if there is the slightest chance any of my work is still there after twenty three years.

After a search on Google I found the art department at Blackburn College. The tutors name was different, but that seemed reasonable after so long. I sent a Mr Huble an email, briefly outlining my request and the dates I studied there.

Twenty prompt minutes later my email was replied to.

Mr Huble was very sorry to tell me that there is no record of anyone of that name every having studied art at the college, and certainly no missing portfolio.

Disappointed I replied thanking him for his help, but insisted that I had defintely attended there on the given dates.

This is when I realised that the blurry photograph at the top of the page didn't look very familiar. On closer inspection I was shocked to see that the Blackburn College art department I'd been conversing with was actually in Illinois USA.

When I'd stopped laughing I thought using the telephone might be more my style.

I spoke to a very helpfull women in Blackburn Lancs, who is making enquires about my portfolio and is going to call me back.

Some people just aren't made to use new technology.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2006, 14:45   #2
white rabbits

Re: Old versus new technologies.

Garinda,you should send that to Des Lymon,He loves titbits like that for the beginning of Countdown,,,It made me laugh,,and he sends you (a little something ) in return...
Old 28-09-2006, 14:48   #3
I am Banned

how do you know GC hehehehehehe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 14:50   #4

Great story Garry. Hope that you find what you are looking for at Blackburn, and if you do get back into painting, I'll buy your first picture, at the right price, of course. Luv, T.C.
Old 28-09-2006, 14:52   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.
Great story Garry. Hope that you find what you are looking for at Blackburn, and if you do get back into painting, I'll buy your first picture, at the right price, of course. Luv, T.C.
Thanks T.C.

Cashman has had one of my old prints framed, perhaps he'll let visitors in to go and look at it.

Old 28-09-2006, 15:13   #6
I am Banned

Cashy's holding an art gallery??
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 15:49   #7
God Member

Nice one G. Will these pics end up in a gallery on this site?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 15:56   #8
Resident Waffler

Now that's the sort of daft thing I'd probably do!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 16:57   #9
Yank in King Art's Court!

Hey Rindy, I'm sorry your Parkinsons has progress to the point you're unable to do what you are obviously very good at and must have found very enjoyable. I hope you get the answers your seeking from Blackburn.

I think they've made some advances in dealing with some of Parkinsons symptoms. Have you seen any great progress being made? It would be so nice for you to be able to paint again! Chin up mate! (no offense I hope with refering to you as a mate)!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 17:11   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
Hey Rindy, I'm sorry your Parkinsons has progress to the point you're unable to do what you are obviously very good at and must have found very enjoyable. I hope you get the answers your seeking from Blackburn.

I think they've made some advances in dealing with some of Parkinsons symptoms. Have you seen any great progress being made? It would be so nice for you to be able to paint again! Chin up mate! (no offense I hope with refering to you as a mate)!
Thanks. Art was my only natural talent. I've tried things on the computer, but it still all with my left hand, which is frustrating because my brain doesn't let my hand do what I want it to do.

Progress? Yeah the drugs I'm on are great at the moment. I'm sure there'll be great medical advances in my lifetime. There may even be a cure and I could go back to work, if I could find where I'd packed away my alarm clock.

Old 28-09-2006, 18:58   #11
Beacon of light

Garinda....I hope you do get your portfolio back.....and thanks for making me smile today.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 19:38   #12
God Member

Lmao Rindy!!! Oh well at least you will never actually meet the poor lady that tried desperatly to find your portfolio roflmao

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 20:14   #13

Hope your artwork is found soon. Maybe you could have a showing. Parkinson's research seems quite promising at the moment. It would be wonderful if you could progress to the point where you could get back to doing what you love so much. My cousin is a professional artist. Lives in Ossy. My nephew is trying to break into the field. He just moved to Liverpool which, I understand, has developed into quite an art mecca.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 22:51   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
Hope your artwork is found soon. Maybe you could have a showing. Parkinson's research seems quite promising at the moment. It would be wonderful if you could progress to the point where you could get back to doing what you love so much. My cousin is a professional artist. Lives in Ossy. My nephew is trying to break into the field. He just moved to Liverpool which, I understand, has developed into quite an art mecca.
Thank you.

Yes because Liverpool is soon to be the European Capital of Culture the art scene in the city is very much thriving.

Old 28-09-2006, 23:04   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
He just moved to Liverpool which, I understand, has developed into quite an art mecca.
Their latest piece of art is a 20 foot statue made out of car wheel trims.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..