Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2011, 01:12   #1
God Member

Oldham East & Saddleworth

Just noticed the coverage of the by-election ... looks like your third party is taking a beating. Which leads me to ask again: "What is so frightening about a minority government?" It seems as if the drop in their popularity is linked directly to their, in my opinion, tying their fortunes to the tories.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2011, 07:21   #2
Common Sense Member

Re: Oldham East & Saddleworth

The coalition government seems to be holding together surprisingly well but the Liberal Democrats have effectively finished themselves off by aligning themselves with the Conservatives for a sniff of power.

I hope they enjoy it because once the truce is called off I suspect that their third place will be a very distant one with voters.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 10:03   #3
Resting in Peace

None event of the year so far
Old 14-01-2011, 12:22   #4
God Member

looked like the tory voters aligned themselves with the lib dems

labour 1 con dem 0
Old 14-01-2011, 13:01   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

From a turn out of 48.6% hardly a resounding reflection on any Political parties standing in the public eye, as some in political circles are wont to state "That means at least 51.4% didn't (couldn't be bothered to) vote !"
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 13:25   #6

I blame 8 months of Tory rule.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:18   #7
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
From a turn out of 48.6% hardly a resounding reflection on any Political parties standing in the public eye, as some in political circles are wont to state "That means at least 51.4% didn't (couldn't be bothered to) vote !"
Staggeringly, that's not a bad turnout! The average figure for any election which isn't the General is usually around the 25-30% mark.

To put it in perspective, in Rishton last year we got the highest turnout in the whole of Hyndburn with 68%, still leaving a considerable number who didn't make their voices heard.

Old 14-01-2011, 18:12   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The coalition government seems to be holding together surprisingly well but the Liberal Democrats have effectively finished themselves off by aligning themselves with the Conservatives for a sniff of power.

I hope they enjoy it because once the truce is called off I suspect that their third place will be a very distant one with voters.
On the question of the coalition holding together: how difficult would it be for the Liberal Democrats to bail? And if they did, would it mean a minority government, or, would the Conservatives head for the polls? And, while I'm at it, how would the electorate react to an election so soon after the last one?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:39   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
looked like the tory voters aligned themselves with the lib dems

labour 1 con dem 0
Looks like they didn't bother, and no its not Labour 1 Con/dems 0 Labour won the seat in May but as usually they found out their candidate was a lying cheating scumbag
Old 14-01-2011, 18:44   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
On the question of the coalition holding together: how difficult would it be for the Liberal Democrats to bail? And if they did, would it mean a minority government, or, would the Conservatives head for the polls? And, while I'm at it, how would the electorate react to an election so soon after the last one?
It would be political suicide for the Lib-Dems to pull out of the Coalition....the way things have turned out the Lib-Dems need the Tories more than the Tories need them.
If the Coalition was to breakdown then it's likley the Tories would call a GE...the present polls show a Labour lead but the Toriy support has been stable...I reckon the Tories would gain a small overall majority if there was any election in the near future.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:53   #11
JCB

The result will be a morale booster to Labour whose share of the vote is back to the 1997 landslide result .
There was a collapse in the Conservative vote , down from 26% to 12% . I think this is unusual in a bye-election so close to a General Election . They were down by more than 7000 votes , so they can't say that Conservative voters switched to the Liberal Democrats . If that was the case the Liberal Democrats would have won , but instead they were more than 3500 votes behind Labour . And remember that the Liberal Democrat boast used to be how well they did in bye-elections .

I think that the Coalition's mantra about the mess that Labour left behind is beginning to wear a bit thin . When people look at the USA , Ireland , Greece , Portugal , Spain , etc. they are reminded that the mess was a result of an international , global financial crisis .

Without doubt the Labour government made mistakes just like the Coalition is making , but in no way can it be made to share the full blame of what was a disaster for global capitalism .

Last edited by JCB; 14-01-2011 at 18:56. Reason: add
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:53   #12
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
My personal opinion is that bailing out would be seen as more pro-active and strong-willed than waiting for it to fall apart but there would still be no real benefits to them in doing so. I feel fairly certain that I won't see a Liberal Democrat government now in my lifetime.

As far as another election goes, speaking as a Labour man it's a double-edged sword. It doesn't seem unreasonable that Labour have a good chance of winning another General Election but campaigning is an expensive business for all concerned plus we'd have another bout of canvassing. The Hyndburn councillors have already had the General Election plus a by-election and now the upcoming local elections in May, it eats up your spare time and there's plenty to do in each ward as it is.

With the extensive coverage of the elections last year and local elections most years (including this year in May), we might find ourselves in a situation where voters just get completely fed up with it all if there's another national election so soon.

Just my musings. Other more experienced councillors might think differently.

Old 14-01-2011, 18:58   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The result will be a morale booster to Labour whose share of the vote is back to the 1997 landslide result .
There was a collapse in the Conservative vote , down from 26% to 12% . I think this is unusual in a bye-election so close to a General Election . They were down by more than 7000 votes , so they can't say that Conservative voters switched to the Liberal Democrats . If that was the case the Liberal Democrats would have won , but instead they were more than 3500 votes behind Labour . And remember that the Liberal Democrat boast used to be how well they did in bye-elections .

I think that the Coalition's mantra about the mess that Labour left behind is beginning to wear a bit thin . When people look at the USA , Ireland , Greece , Portugal , Spain , etc.
they are reminded that the mess was a result of an international , global financial crisis .
Without doubt the Labour government made mistakes just like the Coalition is making , but in no way can it be made to share the full blame of what was a disaster for global capitalism .
A bigger majority last night than in the 1997 landslide. Although the share of the vote as you say was about the same.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:58   #14
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Looks like they didn't bother, and no its not Labour 1 Con/dems 0 Labour won the seat in May but as usually they found out their candidate was a lying cheating scumbag
'As usual'? That doesn't exactly paint Graham Jones in an honest light, does it?

Mind you, fair's fair. Conservatives never lie, look at the heavy taxation being levied on the bankers, just like they said they would when they were in opposition.

Old 14-01-2011, 19:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
'As usual'? That doesn't exactly paint Graham Jones in an honest light, does it?

Mind you, fair's fair. Conservatives never lie, look at the heavy taxation being levied on the bankers, just like they said they would when they were in opposition.
Nothing to do with Graham Jones, and when it comes to bending the truth Labour did that for thirteen years and it cost use very dear, the worst economic statistics every met by any incoming government in history

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..