Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28   #91
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Olympic Logo

why has this been done now?, we have four years to go, chavs might not be still around then! OMG just realised i will be nearly 40 then!!!!(well 39)
and my kid will be 18 and 10...NOOOOOOOooooooo
Old 06-06-2007, 07:22   #92
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the funk View Post
bbc website has some very good alternatives sent in by members of the public which I think are better
That's one point I will agree with you on. All of them beat the official logo hands down and one in particular, which quite cleverly combines the '2012' into the 'Lon' lettering in London is, in my opinion, outstanding.

All of which begs the question, why didn't the Olympics committee simply organise a competition for a new logo? They would have saved a lot of money and ended up with a much better logo in the long run. But, of course, that would show that ordinary people have just as much, if not more, ability than the so-called 'experts' and that would never do, would it?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53   #93
God Member

the Olympics these days are nothing more than just another oppertunity for money grubbing sponsors (Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds etc) and for sleazoid politicians to boost their own egos .
IMO the summer games should have a permament site in Greece and winter games in Innsbruck or Sarejavo(sp?) just get rid of the money and get back to the Olympic ideal of sport , as for the theme music stick to either "Ode to Joy" or the "Chariots of Fire" thing , .........and while I'm on a rant get rid of the syncronized swimming/diving, ballroom dancing and snow boarding/moguling rubbish, anything judged on 'artistic merit " has no business being described as a sport ....first/fastest over the line wins.

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:01   #94
I am Banned

The ad video for the olympics have come under fire for failing photo sensitivity test, 12 people at least have suffered seizures as a direct result of it, others suffered migraines & other effects of photo sensitivity.

Personally i dont know why its been allowed to represent the olympics, its horrible something right out of a drug induced trip worse than something out of the 60's hippy power jobbers. What a waste!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07   #95
Resident Waffler

It's beginning to look like public opinion is so much against this excuse for a logo that it might end up being scrapped.

Has anyone had a serious look at the designers own website? Whoever created that wants locking up! It is impossible to negotiate your way round it. The Home Page is not linked to all pages and in some cases where it is linked the link doesn't work! I could go on but I think I may not have even managed to find all the pages yet - and we thought HyndburnLite was bad.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08   #96
God Member

Quote:
So the Olympics won't benefit the rest of the UK?
Is the football going to be played at Old Trafford? (answer - yes)
Are athletes and spectators all going to stay in London?(answer - no. They will stay in various parts of the UK, athletes will need facilities to train on and get used to English weather', spectators and tourists will not all be able to stay in London. I am sure many will enter the country through Manchester or Liverpool and stay in the North West and travel down to see the games)
Will all the jobs go to people in London? (answer - no - A North West firm has won the tender to supply all the toilet roll for the Olympics, they will need extra staff to meet the demand.)
Is the logo any good?(answer - in my opinion its not that good, bbc website has some very good alternatives sent in by members of the public which I think are better)
The short term injection of a bit of cash into other regions might be fine but the whole thing is basically a huge marketing exercise for London. Plus, you have to factor in the amount of money that these regions will lose - government and lottery funding has been slashed throughout the country to pay for it. Extra people might get taken on short term for low wages in some manufacturing roles (mostly jobs that are being taken by immigrants), so people from eastern european countries will flock to these jobs and then be dumped back onto the job market straight afterwards. These are not strategic benefits.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:11   #97
Resting in peace

Quote:
Ok, yes. But at the point I am referring to it is in the Governments hands. The point was more aimed at the fact it is not the mistake of Seb Coe and his bid team, but the Government.
So if Seb Coe had have been running this as a business, with his own money he would still have been trading, would he?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's beginning to look like public opinion is so much against this excuse for a logo that it might end up being scrapped.

Has anyone had a serious look at the designers own website? Whoever created that wants locking up! It is impossible to negotiate your way round it. The Home Page is not linked to all pages and in some cases where it is linked the link doesn't work! I could go on but I think I may not have even managed to find all the pages yet - and we thought HyndburnLite was bad.
Link please ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25   #99
Resident Waffler

Click here to go to some of it. I can't remember where I found the rest of it

Old 06-06-2007, 11:30   #100

Any news on a new logo. I just wonder what i have paid tax for - utter tripe

mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:32   #101
Resident Waffler

Oh yes, click here for something completely different but here's where if you click on 'home' they apparently don't have one. This link also states that they have 4 offices whereas the previous one says they have 2 and yet the previous one was reached via the Olympic 'interactive animation' - see what I mean about confusing?

There's probably other bits in other places too but they don't seem to connect.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:44   #102
God Member

Yet if you click on this link you get something different

Wolff Olins

Old 06-06-2007, 11:53   #103
Resident Waffler

That was the first link I put on Gayle, in post #99

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58   #104
Resident Waffler

Where do they get the silly idea that 'new-thinking consumers' (whatever they might be) want brands to look different? I want to be able to recognise things. I want my bank to look like a bank. (I use that as an illustration because they did the rebranding of lloyds tsb.) If I'm shopping and looking for breakfast cereal I want it to look like breakfast cereal. I do not want to be dazzled by new brand logo packaging all over the place every other week. I want to be able to recognise what I'm looking for, otherwise (and especially if I'm in a hurry as many of us are these days) I am likely to walk straight past it and buy something else which I do recognise.

Old 06-06-2007, 13:17   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That was the first link I put on Gayle, in post #99

Ooops, sorry, hadn't see that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..