Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2005, 22:30   #136
God Member

Re: On Behalf of Gayle Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Not a question, [but thanks for answering mine.]

As a one fingered typist, thanks for answering our question's as quickly, and as fully as you are doing.
And my mother said that learning how to type would consign me to a life time career as a secretary - little did she know.

I am starting to get RSI, I think!
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2005, 22:31   #137
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Sorry, my system crashed temporarily. I think it must be getting overloaded a bit.
Should have got a grant from the lottery funds to up grade your PC.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:33   #138
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Sorry, my system crashed temporarily. I think it must be getting overloaded a bit.
I bet it is you who is getting overloaded you have been bombarded for a couple of hours or more so far tonight.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:33   #139
God Member

Quote:
In answer to how many people attended each meeting. I don't know because I haven't been to every meeting myself. I do know that over 40 people attended the Town Hall meeting. Strip away a few officers from the council and MPA staff that left around 35. As I said, 22 forms in favour and 3 against. If it was even remotely like those numbers at the other meetings it does start to add up. Plus, if you look at the letters pages in the Acc Obs there are as many for as there are against.

Even when Accrington Web started up a campaign to email me at work in protest, I only received 10 emails - you have a membership on here of over 2,000.

That figure for the Town Hall meeting represents 0.001% of the population of Accrington (35,000 - HBC).

Although the site claims 2000 members they are actually split along several lines, so the regulars in General Chat category usually number around thirty or so.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:34   #140
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
You see Gayle this is one of the problems, the cash strapped HBC can't be trusted to maintain it. Who's going to kick HBC's backside when it becomes a dilapadated joke?

ME - I live here, I have to live with it. Joking in one respect but serious in another.

Sorry Gayle, but you are merely a "press officer." In 5 years time, you will have only one vote amonst thousands that will re elect or throw out the council....
You make an awful lot of assumptions. You have no idea, I could be planning on standing for Council for all you know. Or, I might not be here at all - who knows. I was joking in my original answer but you know what, we all have to kick HBC's backside if it starts to look shabby. A lot of voices have more power than one.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:36   #141
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
And my mother said that learning how to type would consign me to a life time career as a secretary - little did she know.

I am starting to get RSI, I think!
With your R.S.I. in mind, I will stop posing questions for the evening and leave it to others

Thank you for being so candid, you have not convinced me but maybe others? Time will tell...
Old 28-03-2005, 22:37   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Here is a photograph taken from the side of Hameldon Hill. Can you see the Coppice? No, neither can I. That's because it is obscured behind Moleside Moor.
To be fair A-b, if you go to the top of the road to the old quarry before the farm gates [King's Highway?] there is a fantastic view of the Coppice and a great view of Accy.
l take visitors up there, and it is the nearest l get to owning my own light aircraft.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 22:37   #143
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
A lot of voices have more power than one.
I could not agree more. I wonder how many of the people on here tonight went to the meetings and voiced there opinion in person?
Old 28-03-2005, 22:37   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Is it possible for you to pdf the plans and information packs so those of us no longer living in the area can see this issue in greater detail…?
Send me your email address in a private message and I will try to send you something when I am next in the MPA office. That goes for anyone else who lives out of the area too. Anyone local can still see the proposals at Acc Town Hall, Haworth Art Gallery, Hyndburn Sports Centre, Accrington Library until Friday. It's worth going because there are more images showing how it will look and it has a ground plan which shows where the trenches are in relation to it.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:39   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
He also added: "One does not want to be rejecting the idea outright because it involves significant investment in the coppice area, but they really have to come up with something that is suitable to that area and which will be acceptable to the people of Accrington and the surrounding districts. Until they do that, it is still NO, NO, NO."

I return again to a point I made earlier, is P. Beard any good at designing picnic tables?
I don't know but you know you can buy them from B&Q for a couple of hundred quid. Perhaps we should send Cllr Britcliffe shopping.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:39   #146
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
To be fair A-b, if you go to the top of the road to the old quarry before the farm gates [King's Highway?] there is a fantastic view of the Coppice and a great view of Accy.
l take visitors up there, and it is the nearest l get to owning my own light aircraft.
That sounds like the road I meant. I cant remember much of a view of the Coppice in the dark
Old 28-03-2005, 22:40   #147
God Member

Quote:
Here is a photograph taken from the side of Hameldon Hill. Can you see the Coppice? No, neither can I. That's because it is obscured behind Moleside Moor.
In that case perhaps you can see it from Moleside Moor and the two farmers that you mentioned wouldn't have people walking on their land. I was repeating information about Hameldon Hill that someone else had told me - but the fact is that there is a hill higher than the Coppice from which it could be seen.
Old 28-03-2005, 22:42   #148
God Member

Quote:
To be fair A-b, if you go to the top of the road to the old quarry before the farm gates [King's Highway?] there is a fantastic view of the Coppice and a great view of Accy..
I'm doing my best to be absolutley fair. I don't think that it is unreasonable to point out mistaken assumptions. Gayle claims that the coppoice can be viewed from Hameldon Hill, I have just shown that it can't. If she can get that much wrong, how much else is she getting wrong?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 28-03-2005 at 22:43.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 22:46   #149
God Member

Quote:
I'm doing my best to be absolutley fair. I don't think that it is unreasonable to point out mistaken assumptions. Gayle claims that the coppoice can be viewed from Hameldon Hill, I have just shown that it can't. If she can get that much wrong, how much else is she getting wrong?

That's not exactly being fair is it. I got the name of a hill wrong, in the grand scheme of things that's a minor fault to start picking at. You can't deny that there is a hill higher than the Coppice from which you would be able to see the sculpture - can you?
Old 28-03-2005, 22:47   #150
God Member

Oh, I see, so it can be seen from Moleside now. This project is getting smaller and smaller as the evening progresses.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..