Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2005, 20:48   #91
God Member

Re: On Behalf of Gayle Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
As an ex-inhabitant of the area may I be permitted a question? Is there an opt-out clause or is the Panopticon a fait acompli apart from finalising the design?
Yes, there is still an opt out clause. It has to be approved by Cabinet first (I think Cllr Britcliffe has made his views on that very clear) and if it gets that far it would need to be approved by planning permission.

Obviously, right here right now we're not likely to walk away but that is a possibility down the line. We're still getting 75% positive feed back from the public about the project and indeed, Cllr Britcliffe in this week's Observer stated that 'it would be wrong to dismiss the scheme out of hand at this stage because of all the benefits it could bring'.

I hope that it doesn't come to the point when we walk away from Hyndburn. I personally think that would be very sad for the town. Accrington is geographically bang smack in the centre of all the other five Panopticons. The other five would receive all the benefits and then Accrington would be like a big hole in the centre.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2005, 20:50   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Good question. It looks like it is going to happen no matter what. Just a case of the council doing what they want and ignoring us voters like usual.
No one is being ignored at all. That's partly why I'm here. We need views and opinions to ensure we get the right design for the town. But there has to come a point when it comes down to a majority vote.
Old 28-03-2005, 20:52   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Looks like a ready made scramble track for the bikers
As I've said, the wider scheme could and should involve fencing the site off so that bikers can't get up there. I can't promise that at this point but again, at the risk of repeating myself, that is what has happened at Rossendale.
Old 28-03-2005, 20:53   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
There have been four meetings and although the turnout for each of them hasn't been overly high - added together the numbers are significant.

It would be interesting indeed to see what those numbers actually were.
Old 28-03-2005, 20:53   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i would think something appropriate to remember the accrington pals would go down much better with the locals.(cant forsee many people objecting to that)but who knows.
Old 28-03-2005, 20:55   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It would be interesting indeed to see what those numbers actually were.
Come on folks,give her time to answer your other questions...let her catch up!!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 20:56   #97
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
No one is being ignored at all. That's partly why I'm here. We need views and opinions to ensure we get the right design for the town. But there has to come a point when it comes down to a majority vote.
Is that a majority vote of the council or a majority vote of the people that have to live with this panopticon? Surely you cannot consider the twenty or so people that gave favourable views at the last public meeting to be "speaking for the residents of Accrington"?
Old 28-03-2005, 20:56   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedj
I do not think the idea of your giant ripple that could only be seen by helicopter, or your steak pudding mounds mean anything to Accrington. I would of thought if you had done something of rememberance for the Accrington pals on coppice there would not be any dispute.

We will remember them.
I agree, perhaps if we'd suggested putting a twenty foot high soldier on top of the Coppice it would not have received so much antagonism as modern art is doing. But, and again, this is my personal opinion, I don't think we should hang the whole future of our town on 80 year old history (Tiffany glass, Accrington Stanley's glory days and Accrington Pals). We have memorials for the Pals in town and I agree they are a huge part of our history and should never be forgotten but we have to look to the future.
Old 28-03-2005, 21:00   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g78
Well flame me down for saying this if you like, but I for one am all for having some form of artwork on the coppice. I am not saying it necessarliy has to be one of the designs so far put forward, but something up there to show that accrington is indeed a town trying to move forward and progress is definitely a good thing. This artwork should represent the here and now. Come on people lets get progressive ???

Yes, we most certainly have to get something that moves us forward. One problem that I've noticed though is that the grandeur of the scheme is being diluted somewhat by the process. My personal favourite was the Hollywood sign (actually was far too expensive to build), I liked the Halo and I'm thrilled it's being built in Rossendale, it will be stunning. It's now like designing by committee trying to accommodate everyone and I'm afraid that if we go too far it will dilute the idea so much that it won't have the necessary impact.

As it stands at the moment the current design is going to be the largest earth work in the country so should attract attention because of that.
Old 28-03-2005, 21:09   #100
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
i would think something appropriate to remember the accrington pals would go down much better with the locals.(cant forsee many people objecting to that)but who knows.
This latest design is ALSO to serve as a memorial to the Accrington Pals according to Peter Beard!

"The ripple reminds us of the way in which small events can have a big effect. It is also intended as a reminder for ourselves and for our children that our actions can have a resonance and effect on a scale way beyond that of our immediate home."

"The coppice carries strong memories of the 11th Battalion, the Accrington Pals, so many of whose members died at the Somme in 1915."

"High Form is also a homage to the Pals. A reference to the 11th Battalion can be read in the 11 circular folds of the form - a total of 5 ridges and 6 furrows"

If I were not so cynical, I would have believed that P. Beard come up with this AFTER the design!
Old 28-03-2005, 21:11   #101
God Member

Questions from Acrylic-Bob

I think I've answered most of these questions before but I'll repeat some answers.

1. Since the Coppice is such a sensitive area, why can this project not be located elsewhere in the borough?

The Coppice has outstanding views over Accrington. Accrington is the main town in the borough and should be viewed. If the site of the Panopticon becomes the main issue then perhaps alternatives should be sought. The Coppice does need some attention - paths, the memorial and the shelter, etc - would we really want to pass up the chance of restoring them all to put something on the top of a more faceless hill?

2. Why do we appear to be stuck with Mr Beard as the designer. Can we change him for someone else?

Peter Beard was selected by a three stage process. The curator of the process spoke to many architects to find out who would be interested in pitching and which site they would be interested in pitching for. She then selected five designers for each site (Burnley, Ribble Valley and Hyndburn). The steering group then selected three out of the five to present designs to the public. These three designers presented their designs and Peter Beard was unanimously selected. So, yes, I think Peter is the designer for Hyndburn whatever happens with the site. In his defense he was particularly interested in the site because he has an interest in military history and he is thoroughly enjoying soaking up the history of the Pals and the town.

3. What is the point of having a landmark that can only be seen from the air? I don't know whether you have noticed, but there are not that many owners of light aircraft in the borough.

It can be seen from Hambledon Hill. It is also supposed to be viewed from within and enjoyed as an experience. It is supposed to be a place to meet, picnic and enjoy.

4. The Furrows are designed to fill up with rainwater, fine. But, what about the safety aspect?

Agree, it needs to be looked at. Once again I'll reiterate the project is in its infancy in Hyndburn so we don't have all the answers yet. A risk assessment will have to be done without a doubt.

5. The design is said to be 100 metres in diameter, how does this equate with the previously stated aim of preserving the existing trench layout of the site and how much damage is going to be caused by earth moving machinery?

I've seen a plan from above and it doesn't go near the trenches, they start surprisingly further back than anyone has the impression they do. If earth moving machinery is required damage will be minimised. Peter Beard has employed an ecologist as part of his team to look at wildlife and the impact on it both during and after the build.
Old 28-03-2005, 21:12   #102
God Member

Quote:
As it stands at the moment the current design is going to be the largest earth work in the country so should attract attention because of that.
And what about the Goddess of the North, also at Gateshead. A reclining female figure with breasts and hips 100ft high, containing millions of tons of mining spoil and visible from passing passenger Jets. That is Big Gayle. That's what gets a place noticed. It is bold, ambitious, unrestrainedly modern and impervious to vandals.
Old 28-03-2005, 21:14   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Quick question , I presume a study has been done, so How Much is it going to cost in the long run for the upkeep of the final design, ie not just the cutting and trimming of grass but the pathways, roads, shelters??,litter collection etc. I also presume that Hyndburn will pay for this upkeep is it in the scope of the council tax or will it have to increase or cause an increase in the future?
No, I don't think a study has been done yet. As we're only part way through the process we don't know what exactly is being put up there so it would be impossible to say how much it's going to cost to maintain. A study will be done as the project progresses.
Old 28-03-2005, 21:18   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
And what about the Goddess of the North, also at Gateshead. A reclining female figure with breasts and hips 100ft high, containing millions of tons of mining spoil and visible from passing passenger Jets. That is Big Gayle. That's what gets a place noticed. It is bold, ambitious, unrestrainedly modern and impervious to vandals.
l thought that was still in the planning stages as well, l may be wrong.

Perhaps there is a similar discussion going on in a NE site.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 21:22   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
Hi Gayle!!

Just a couple of quick ones for your perusal. The inward investment for path upgrades, carparking ect . Who will follow this up, HBC or the Regional Parks scheme? How definate are you of this money appearing? Why was this not costed into the regional parks scheme project?
Friends of Arden Hall are pursuing the funding for the wider scheme along with the Parks Keeper (I'm not exactly sure of his title) from HBC. They are in talks with REMADE about this. I am absolutely definite that we will get money for this as is everyone else involved. REMADE have said as much - they have put £300,000 into Rossendale and are prepared to put similar (probably not quite as much as the Coppice isn't derelict like Top O'Slate) but significant enough to do all those extra things that are needed.

English Heritage have already said that they would be most likely to stump up cash for the revamp of the memorial and shelter should we apply. I'm not sure who will have to apply officially for that. Peter Beard made the initial enquiry to them but I don't think he'd be allowed to apply for funding.

NESTA National Endowment for Science Technology in the Arts have already guaranteed £30,000 for school and education projects around the area. I realise this isn't quite the same but we will lose it if the Panopticon doesn't go ahead as it is related to projects surrounding an earth work.

I don't know why it wasn't costed into the regional park scheme project. I can only assume that it's because all the additional funding will ride on the back of a Panopticon being built and until that's a certainty they couldn't account for it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..