Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2011, 22:39   #1
Senior Member+

One of the town's great business men - RAY LYNDON

Someone told me today they had seen RAY LYNDON last week with a stall on Fleetwood Market???
Those were the days eh, when he had his marvellous "before its time" shop in the old cinema building on Abbey Street
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2011, 22:50   #2
God Member

Re: One of the town's great business men - RAY LYNDON

I remember Ray Lyndons being one big shop with lots of little shops in it, where Abbey street Shopping centre is now, i was only young so i may have been dreaming it
Old 17-09-2011, 22:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

He must be some age now Atarah? wonder if his missus is still batting? that place yer on about shaz,was the owd "Palace Cinema"
Old 17-09-2011, 23:53   #4
Give, give, give member

A link a thread, which has some interesting information about the building Ray Lyndon's was in.

Though you will have to wade through a major thread wander, instigated by a now moderator, to get to the facts.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...nge-16457.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 05:39   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Though you will have to wade through a major thread wander, instigated by a now moderator, to get to the facts.
Not any more I just removed my rubbish
Old 18-09-2011, 10:04   #6
Resting in Peace

I worked for Ray in the early 80s I managed the DIY shop over the shopping center at the Palace, that was a real experience believe me. I also stood Markets on a Sunday as well as organising Sunday Markets all over Lancashire and Yorkshire. Ray was the first exponent of the £ shop, only in those days he stood the Markets with 50p stalls everything 50p, at that time he had about 7 or 8 people standing markets every day. The last time I saw Ray was in Blackpool in the old woolies shop he'd changed it to Store 99. I may post more on this after I've had a think, Ray was a very very interesting person
Old 18-09-2011, 10:50   #7
Beacon of light

I'm sure I remember Ray having a stall on Accy Market in the sixties and everything was half a crown.......sometimes the little things were five for half a crown, but you always spent at least half a crown(two shillings and sixpence...or twelve and a half pence in todays money).......I remember buying five mugs for the shop(slingers) for half a crown.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:16   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm sure I remember Ray having a stall on Accy Market in the sixties and everything was half a crown.......sometimes the little things were five for half a crown, but you always spent at least half a crown(two shillings and sixpence...or twelve and a half pence in today's money).......I remember buying five mugs for the shop(slingers) for half a crown.
Ya he was always into things like that, got all his stock from Cheetham Hill area of Manchester right next to Strangeways, the saying "how much!!!! already came from there. He was a real wheeler dealer Accys answer to Del Boy, had a wonderful split level bungalow in Gt Harwood absolutely massive the kitchen was bigger than my whole flat
Old 18-09-2011, 11:24   #9
Beacon of light

Glad you could confirm that for me John......I remember it very well. The mugs were bright and colourful......and cheap...funny the brews always tasted good out of them too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 12:04   #10
Resting in Peace

Atarah, was just wondering what Ray was selling on the market stall, bet it was cheap and nasty pile it high sell it cheap stuff
Old 18-09-2011, 18:11   #11
Senior Member+

He also once had a shop at the bottom of Church Street, Accy too, just on the next block along from the Commercial Pub!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I worked for Ray in the early 80s I managed the DIY shop over the shopping center at the Palace, that was a real experience believe me. I also stood Markets on a Sunday as well as organising Sunday Markets all over Lancashire and Yorkshire. Ray was the first exponent of the £ shop, only in those days he stood the Markets with 50p stalls everything 50p, at that time he had about 7 or 8 people standing markets every day. The last time I saw Ray was in Blackpool in the old woolies shop he'd changed it to Store 99. I may post more on this after I've had a think, Ray was a very very interesting person
Woolworth Building | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:08   #13

It's now a Wetherspoons

The Albert and The Lion - Blackpool | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:20   #14
Senior Member+

Are we going a bit of track here? Before we know it, we will have folk talking about Blackpool. The subject is Ray Lyndon.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:27   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
He also once had a shop at the bottom of Church Street, Accy too, just on the next block along from the Commercial Pub!

Best Regards - Taggy
Went was that Taggy cant remember that, must have been pre 80s

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..