Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2006, 22:37   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Online petition against ID cards

It's funny how none of us object to Passports and driving licences, or proof of ID when it comes to banking, or even picking up registered mail from the Post Office.

You should see the thickness of my hospital notes - I caught a glimpse of false info on one of them today. It said I was given a cup of tea in the recover room but I don't drink tea!!

The point I'm trying to make is that there is already a lot of information on file about us, much of which we probably never even think about.

I would have no objection to having an ID card - in some cases it might even save a life if it has vital medical info on it. I do begrudge being forced to pay if they are beyond some people's pockets though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2006, 22:52   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I would have no objection to having an ID card - in some cases it might even save a life if it has vital medical info on it. I do begrudge being forced to pay if they are beyond some people's pockets though.
I agree with you on both counts Willow. I do not see how ID cards can be a bad idea but I think they should be free.
Old 21-11-2006, 00:38   #33
Senior Member+

Yeah ID cards are good idea and should be free,and only somebody with something to hide would be against them.IF YOU HAVE DONE NOWT YOUVE NOWT TO FEAR
Old 21-11-2006, 00:53   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
Yeah ID cards are good idea and should be free,and only somebody with something to hide would be against them.IF YOU HAVE DONE NOWT YOUVE NOWT TO FEAR

HERE HERE . Completely agree MT
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 07:47   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is a strange comment on a thread you started with a link to a Government web site. Does http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ not count as a Government IT project?
Only it is run by a company called mysociety.org and it seems that this site was not instigated on request of teh goverment. it was a funded organistaion who took ideas and developed teh best, this being one of them.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:04   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
The problem is mthead is that these things ARE planned to hold so much data about you that it would be very useful to anyone who intended to defraud you financially. It is a single point of failure(which is a VERY bad idea in anything IT) to almost all information about you from medical records to benefit claims, any police record/past convictions to credit worthyness.

As said, to actually collate all this information into a single place will cost a fortune, forget £30 on top of a Bio passport, general consensus is that these things will be costing each person ~£200 and thats before the project goes over budget(which has happened in over 95% of goverment IT projects over the last 5 years). Then there is the technical aspects. In trying to put together the new NHS ITsystem ( a small subset of what the ID cards will cover) different areas are being developed by different companies, data exchange between them has proven to be nigh on impossible due to different interpretations of the rules. There has already been incidents of Xrays and records being unavailable that have put lives at risk. I see fairly big( multi million pound) IT projects on a daily basis and none of these are anything close to what is being suggested and my view is that there isn't any company that would be capable of implementing the ID cards systems successfully. As soon as you get into colaboration you hit even bigger problems due to the politics involved.

The other point is about what use they will be in practice, all this talk of anti terrorism/scrotes/etc is just propaganda. In Spain they have ID cards yet ETA have been blowing things up for years, Then there was teh madrid train bombings. Back to our own country, all of teh London Bombers were 'ordinary UK citizens' and would have been carrying ID cards had we had them, would it have stopped the awful events that unfolded? Nope. If you are set upon blowing yourself and numerous innocents into the next life, would you really care about carrying an ID card?

Onto immigration, again, there are lots of countries who have ID cards yet suffer just as we do from illegal immigrants. All it would do is force them further underground creating an almost sub human class who have no rights, no way of protest and no protection from teh likes of organised crime.

I have nowt to hide as you say but I do not see how any of the above can offer me any protection from what they claim.

Old 21-11-2006, 09:29   #37

Bloody well said Enti ! I think it IS an infringement on our freedom and it IS heading towards a police state. Who owns you? I own myself.
To think that these cards will stop terrorism, immigration etc is naive and believing what they want you to think.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 09:39   #38
Resident Waffler

No, I don't see how they can stop terrorism either. It's like banning somebody from driving as a punishment if they've been driving without a licence. What's that all about then?

I sometimes think the powers that be think they can pull the wool over our eyes and think we are stupid.

I'm not against the idea of the cards as a means of identity and like I said before about carrying medical info which could be extremely helpful but as for stopping terrorism etc that's a load of twaddle.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 15:30   #39
God Member

Found the following link that shows just how much trust doctors have in the new NHS system

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/6167924.stm

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..