Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2006, 07:18   #1
God Member

Online petition against ID cards

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/IDcards/

Or look for others that you want to add your name to

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list?sort=signers

(Sorted by most popular)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2006, 09:56   #2

Re: Online petition against ID cards

I'm all for ID cards.
Might just stop the thousands of scroungers and militants/terrorists staying in this country!
Will be good as well if they got DNA into the cards to maybe cut down on crime and catch the beggers earlier.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 10:06   #3
God Member

Can you tell me a single goverment IT project that has actually worked? Look at the NHS fiasco and then tell me you want to trust this shower of numpties with all your biometric info? Remember when someone cracks it you can't just close your DNA account and get a new one.

Also, it has never been proven that ID cards do anything to stop crime/terrorism/illegal immigrants etc, Look at Spain as an example.

Old 20-11-2006, 10:27   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I'm all for ID cards.
Might just stop the thousands of scroungers and militants/terrorists staying in this country!
Will be good as well if they got DNA into the cards to maybe cut down on crime and catch the beggers earlier.
i have to agree to them too
Old 20-11-2006, 11:34   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Online petition against ID cards

I am totally against ID cards because in the first place, but not necessarily the most important point, if ID cards become a reality, the long suffering and over taxed general public will pay for them not just the once but TWICE. It is our billions of pounds of taxes that will pay for the implementation and then to add insult to injury we will have to pay for a photograph and then pay £30 above the cost of a biometric passport to get one. And no doubt it will have to be renewed every few years to take into account the ageing of the person in the photograph. What if someone wants to grow or shave off a moustache and/or beard? Or someone has the misfortune to have his/her face disfigured? What about women who change their hair colour/style on a whim? What about those people who already have a biometric passport? They certainly do not need further ID.

The government and IT industry track record in supplying computer systems for government use is worse than poor as entwisi has pointed out. In fact a central record will aid identity theft rather than prevent it. After all, all the information is in one place to be hacked and stolen.

In order to get an ID card the potential recipient will have to establish his/her identity by other means – driving license, passport, utility bill, bank statement and/or National Insurance number. So if can prove who I say I am by producing one or more of those, why do I need an ID card? The simple answer is I don’t.

An ID card will not prevent a suicide bomber nor will it prevent illegal immigration or crime.

According to the most recent queen’s speech (shouldn’t that be Blair’s speech read by the queen?) dictator Blair is pushing on with the implementation of ID cards in spite of massive public opposition to them. He is going to waste billions of our money on this Blair’s folly.

I have signed that petition (2,351st) so thanks for bringing it to my attention entwisi.
Old 20-11-2006, 11:54   #6
God Member

Oh no!!!!!! Jambutty and I agreeing about something!!!!

Old 20-11-2006, 12:10   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Online petition against ID cards

Oh! Yes! entwisi.

But then I didn’t realise that I was supposed to disagree with others on principle like some people do.

I’ll have to rethink my stance on ID cards. Thinking deeply!

Nope! Try as I might I just cannot bring myself to be pro ID cards.

I guess that you’ll just have to live with it.
Old 20-11-2006, 12:25   #8
God Member

Just this once I'll let it go as the exception that proves the rule

And like you I can't ever consider agreeing with ID cards

Old 20-11-2006, 12:40   #9
Resting in peace

Might just stop the thousands of scroungers and militants/terrorists staying in this country![quote]
You will never stop scroungers, we are breeding them now, tighter controls yes, after WW2 identity cards and regular police checks were in force for refugees/displaced persons, we called them foreigners,you can't do that today. ID cards for immigrants yes.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 17:41   #10
I am Band

Identity cards? Bring 'em on!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:00   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

all in favour of them , had one when i lived in spain,as well as the photograph which as jambutty says will change (agree on that) they had a fingerprint on also, how can that change? so as sparky says bring em on.
Old 20-11-2006, 18:03   #12
Member.

I don't have a problem with them, judging by some of the things on the news at the moment the sooner the better, I think they should bring back Corporal punishment for those thugs who don't have one or fail to produce it on demand.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:07   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I don't have a problem with them, judging by some of the things on the news at the moment the sooner the better, I think they should bring back Corporal punishment for those thugs who don't have one or fail to produce it on demand.

True but it is a question of how much is it going to cost the individual, they should give them free & you provide the passport photo or they do it - any subsequent ones for losing or missing you should then pay for it
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:13   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
True but it is a question of how much is it going to cost the individual, they should give them free & you provide the passport photo or they do it - any subsequent ones for losing or missing you should then pay for it
thats a fair point mel, i had to pay for mine in spain though,so don,t see it happening. i still wouldn,t object though to me the plusses if used correctly outweigh any minuses.
Old 20-11-2006, 18:18   #15
Member.

To me it should be just like applying for a driving licence, you provide a piccy and the government sector do the rest? People immigrating should pay a flat registration fee on becoming a British citizen; other foreign Nationals who have them should carry their own countries ID Cards. No body should be allowed into the country to stay beyond an holidays without the means of support and a sponsor.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..