Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By cashman
  • 3 Post By Less
  • 3 Post By Retlaw
  • 1 Post By Barrie Yates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2016, 11:21   #1
Beacon of light

Opportunist merchants.

Typhoo tea have said that the price of their product is likely to rise by 50% due to the fall in the pound(which has been created by Brexit...allegedly).
Now to my certain knowledge, while the pound HAS fallen(it was in a false strong position anyway,good for imports, but bad for exports) no way has it fallen by 50%.(and anyway I really do believe that there is someone pulling the strings in these dealings...like the LIBOR bank rate scandal)

I am sure all of us anticipated that Brexit would create a degree of uncertainty(and if there is anything which makes the money markets twitch, it is uncertainty)...and most of us who voted to leave knew that there would be costs to this.....no way should producers of goods, sellers of products be able to get away with hiking their prices to this degree.

So if I see a product which has gone up in price by more than 20% I will cease to patronise them.
Typhoo Tea can kiss goodbye to me buying their brand.(I will drink my own wee wee before I will buy that again)
Marmite too(for goodness sake that is a product made here - not imported)
I will do without before I will put money into their pockets.
They are just greedy opportunists trying to pull a fast one.
BOB and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2016, 11:35   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Opportunist merchants.

Typhoo and the like are deliberately giving ammo to War Criminals like Tony Blair in my view.anyone supporting firms like those have rocks in there heads far as i'm concerned.
Old 31-10-2016, 17:36   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Typhoo and the like are deliberately giving ammo to War Criminals like Tony Blair in my view.anyone supporting firms like those have rocks in there heads far as i'm concerned.
Rocks in their heads doesn't stop them being greedy, as Margaret said, we didn't expect an easy ride, however, a company profiteering from the inevitable results deserves to be boycotted.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:51   #4
Beacon of light

It is profiteering. Simple as that and I will not buy from companies who have happily made money out of us over the years, taking advantage of the vote to leave the EU...blaming that for a massive hike in costs....especially when the stuff they are selling is like Marmite....a home produced item.
Old 31-10-2016, 22:50   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is profiteering. Simple as that and I will not buy from companies who have happily made money out of us over the years, taking advantage of the vote to leave the EU...blaming that for a massive hike in costs....especially when the stuff they are selling is like Marmite....a home produced item.
Your right Margaret, its a by product of beer brewers, and at one time was dumped, when you realise what it is, and the brewers are glad to get rid of it. 2 bob a jar is more than enough, but then it is rip off Britain, wre still getting ripped off by the petrol companies, and the major utilities when fuel prices dropped, there dammed quick at raising, but very very slow at dropping em, and never - never to the same pecentage. thieving sods.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27   #6

As a lover of yeasty products IMO Marmite is very weak in taste.

Asda's own branded yeast spread is IMO much stronger tasting and when your taste buds are somewhat ruined by over 50+ years of eating the stuff the stronger the better.

And the price matters, Marmite is IMO overpriced.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:24   #7
Beacon of light

Maybe Vegemite would be a better choice. I had some brought over for me by my sister the last time she was over....a very large jar with lots left in it.
A much smoother taste than Marmite too.

But, that isn't the issue here. The issue is the huge food companies who are going to make money out of something which barely affects their products.

I do not grumble about a price rise, but what I do object to is a price rise that cannot be justified as the value of sterling has not fallen by 50%...as some companies would have us believe.
These companies will not get my business....EVER!
Old 01-11-2016, 13:33   #8
Senior Member+

Plenty of alternative tea companies - we don't use Typhoo.
Old 01-11-2016, 15:26   #9
Beacon of light

I don't use typhoo either, but it is a brand that Ma asks for.(I am in the process of converting her)
Barrie you know that once one retailer puts up their prices, many others follow suit
Old 01-11-2016, 18:49   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I always buy Lanky tea to bring back here, not the strongest brew (damn sight stronger than krautie teas though) in the world but it's a local pride thing.
Old 01-11-2016, 23:29   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I always buy Lanky tea to bring back here, not the strongest brew (damn sight stronger than krautie teas though) in the world but it's a local pride thing.
Must confess we use Yorkshire Tea - my lad that was born in Sheffield prefers it and I don't give a damn as it is a good brew.
jelly baby likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34   #12
Senior Member+

In a similar vein regarding greedy companies I remember Shell hiking up petrol by 10 pence a gallon and blaming tanker drivers for striking for about a six quid a week rise.
We did two loads a day around Lancashire delivering a total of 40,000 gallons a week.
I make that an extra £4K a week per driver. Who got the rest after we got our £5 which we finally settled for?
The tax man did all right as well out of Shells profits and we got some nasty remarks about being greedy so and so's.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..